Thread: Bad Balancing

Bad Balancing

Hey guys, my battery is a 2s, and the first cell is at 4.08v, and the second is 4.30v...
    Can I use the battery? Should I try to discharge it? This happened when I tried to balance the battery. And I can't talk about my charger here.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier

Bad Balancing

Get yourself a blinky cell balancer. Its an external lipo balancer. It will slow balance your cells without having to use a charger. Your charger may have a bad connection to the battery is why its doing what it is. Hard to say for sure though.

Hmmm. It now says 4.18v and 4.20v. guess the voltage reader was going wacko. I would still like somebody to answer the above questions, just in case it actually happens.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Hey guys, my battery is a 2s, and the first cell is at 4.08v, and the second is 4.30v...
    Can I use the battery? Should I try to discharge it? This happened when I tried to balance the battery. And I can't talk about my charger here.
    The more info you give in your questions makes it easier to help. Those numbers seem pretty wacky and I've never experianced anything like.
    Is it a brand new battery?
    How many times have you charged it?
    Is it the first time you tried to balance it?
    I have 8-2s and 6-3s and I've had 1-2s come out at 4.18 and 4.20 and 1-3s 4.18 and 4.20,4.20 I've just run them like normal and by the third charge they were even at 4.2 and 50+ charges and no issues. I would run it as is and check the volts per cell before cutoff with the lowest cell at 3.6 and balance charge to full and then check it again.

All right,
    #1. No, its several months old, don't know exactly
    #2. Probably 20-30
    #3. Second time.

The issue was the voltage reader. It consistently changes what the voltage is, say from 4.18v & 4.20 to 4.10v & 4.28v, then to 4.03v & 4.33v, and back again . I think it might have shorted out or something, because the buzzer in it doesn't work anymore. I have another one, though, and it stays the same no matter what. I have run it before when it was off by a hair like that and it does fine. Sorry for taking your time.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    No problem and no need to apologise for asking a question, were all on here learning as we go so no time being wasted lol. If you balance charge every time it helps with consistency and I would recommend doing it, IMHO it prolongs battery life, just keep an eye on that one.

Ok, cool! Will do! And, by the way, what does IMHO mean? I've seen it everywhere and some posts don't make any sense because i don't know what it is/means.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Ok, cool! Will do! And, by the way, what does IMHO mean? I've seen it everywhere and some posts don't make any sense because i don't know what it is/means.
    In My Humble Opinion, I'm laughing because I'm always asking people what the ebreviations they send me mean lol. I remember way back if I recall someone had a thread with the abreviations but my brain has been known to misfire every so often lol.

Ok, that make much more sense. Keep on laughing!
    I like free stuff!

NEVER believe the H part!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Hmmmm. IMHO I think you are right.

Edit: Sacrilege!!! I stuck my tongue out at a moderator!!!
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 02-25-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    I like free stuff!

Anyway, should I balance charge it for normal charging? Or do the normal charge, then balance? Thanks for your help.
    I like free stuff!

Balancing should always be done at the beginning of the charge cycle. Let's take an extreme example of a unbalanced 2S charge:
    Charger charges to a full 8.4 Volts total for the pack;
    The two cells are not balanced so at charge termination are actually at 4.3 Volts and 4.1 Volts, respectively. One cell is therefore already overcharged and being damaged. What good does balancing do now? Not much.
    Balancing should always complete in the first few minutes of a charge.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Ok, thanks! So balance for 5 min, then charge the rest? That is what I am going to do from now on.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    No, he meant to balance the packs on the full charge all the time but it usually balances in the first 5 min of the charge. Always charge on balance charge until complete to get longetivity out of your batteries. (At least I hope that's what he meant lol). I only ever charge on balance untill complete.

Hmmm, so charge then balance? Or balance all the way then charge? The other way around?
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Balancing will charge all the cells the same to full charge with good batteries.

Set your charger to balance charge and leave it, do not change it or anything and always charge your batteries like that to full charge unless your doing a storage charge. When you select storage charge they will balance at that setting. Not balancing will cause the different levels you've experienced so when your charging to full just set it at balance and leave it untill done.

Ohhhh, just balance. Ok I get it, will do that instead now. Thanks!
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    No problem I hope after a few charges your cells respond and equal out.

Ok, will update tomorrow! Hopefully the cells are back to normal.
    I like free stuff!