RC poster

Running 4S 5000mah batteries in parallel on ERBE. Weight/ESC concerns

I searched the forum but could not find a thread on the exact same topic, but if there is one, I'm sorry, and feel free to delete/close this thread or provide a link to the other one

I recently bought a pre-owned E-revo brushless ediition and I am shopping for batteries. As a student I try to save where I can so I tend to opt for creative solutions.

I figured I should start with 4S, as I have only had the slower Summit(1/10 and 1/16 vxl) before, and to avoid breaking too many parts.

After searching for batteries for a few days I found that for the same $$$ one could get much more capacity by running 2x4s in parallel than 2x2s in series. I found batteries with theese specs:

Capacity: 5000mAh
    Voltage: 4S1P / 4 Cell / 14.8V
    Discharge: 25C Constant / 35C Burst
    Weight: 488g (including wire, plug & case)
    Dimensions: 162x29x46mm
    Balance Plug: JST-XH
    Discharge Plug: 5.5mm Bullet
    price: approx 38$

They should fit according to the dimensions, and if my math is correct running theese in PARALLEL should be the same as running 2x 2S 10 000 mAh 25C in series.

I have used this brand before quite a bit in airplanes and I am happy with their performanc. For 38$a piece this is more capacity per $ than I have found anywhere else.

So, my two concerns are:
    1. Weight
    2. ESC in parallel.

1. They are 488 grams each. Do you think that would be fine for the ERBE?
    2. If I wire the ESC to run a parallel setup (with sufficient wire gauge etc.), do you see any reasons why this would not work just like running 2x 2S 10 000 mAh in series?
    If anything, it seems to me to be even better as there will be less amps running in som of the wires between the first battery and ESC as the voltage is higher.

Is there anyone out there who have tried something similar or see any problems? Or anyone with a better recommendation?

Thanks a lot for the help!
    Last edited by jarandlt; 02-26-2019 at 03:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Are right about that the batteries will fit the e revo they are 4s so abit taller the 2 and 3s,the truck wil be heavier with 2 4s batteries, yes the run time will double up but only in theory. But what I would be worried about is heat in the motor and esc with that long run time

RC Champion
    In parallel they will be 50C batteries, capacity adds in parallel and voltage adds in series.

Even at 50C that's still low for the output but at 10 Ah that's a lot of juice.

I run 4500 3s in series at 70C discharge and love the lower weight! The erevo is very peppy and controllable. I'd rather swap a 2nd set of smaller batteries than a single set of large.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!