RC poster

Brushless motor and esc. Plus charger and lipos to go into my rustler xl-5? Ti

Wanting more speed in my sons rustler xl-5 so am looking for a budget brushless motor and esc combo that'll do the job. Will be needing charger and lipo's and whatever other gear I would need as Well so if anybody in here could point me in the right direction that would be great. Links to specific motors etc would be great. Cheap as possible but still wanting more speed. Thanks for reading my thread :-)

RC Qualifier
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/60A-WaterPr...item1a374bf62c
    That right there is dirt cheap, and surprisingly good. Ran it in my Rustler for quite a long time with no issues. It's definitely not high end or anything, but it should be fine for what you are doing. Could also go with a Hobbywing esc and any 1/10 BL motor if you want a more reputable brand.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/60A-WaterPr...item1a374bf62c
    That right there is dirt cheap, and surprisingly good. Ran it in my Rustler for quite a long time with no issues. It's definitely not high end or anything, but it should be fine for what you are doing. Could also go with a Hobbywing esc and any 1/10 BL motor if you want a more reputable brand.
    Thanks for the reply dude much appreciated. I should have specified that I live in the UK. That seller does not offer international shipping. Any other suggertions? Thanks

RC Racer
    Check Amazon UK look for Floureon (2s 5200mah) lipos, Imax B6 charger, Goolrc stuff (motor, esc) for cheap electronics.
    Last edited by Igottabeme; 02-27-2019 at 02:04 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the comment. How will I know if a tool motor would be suitable for a rustler? I was looking at wheelspin.com at castle motor and was combo but some aren't suitable. Not enough power etc. How can I tell what is and what is not? Cheers

RC Qualifier
    I'd avoid the GoolRC. I've heard bad things about them, specifically the esc. Since that seller isn't near you, I'd suggest getting a Hobbywing Quicrun. You can run any 1/10 motor with that, just find something cheap for like $20-30 from Ebay, or Hobbywing, or *********'s website. Any 540 or 550 motor should be fine. I'd suggest something between 3000-4000kv, but you can run something completely different if you want. I've used 5400kv, and even 7700.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett1287 View Post
    Thanks for the comment. How will I know if a tool motor would be suitable for a rustler? I was looking at wheelspin.com at castle motor and was combo but some aren't suitable. Not enough power etc. How can I tell what is and what is not? Cheers

If the goal is to reach more power than the Titan ESC combo, then I would answer that most brushless system will offers more, but if you need informations about everything we know on ESC and motor, then we have to make a book for you, no seriously, it's an impossible question to answer, so I will provide some needed informations to make the choice more clear. Ok first of all, for a general application, I don't recommend to go over 4000 KV, there no need to have a 60 amps ESC with a motor that is able to convert 80 amps, it will be limited by what of the ESC could convert, anyway the motor RPM will be higher and consequently the temperature will increase, as well as the demand for energy, in this matter it's always possible to reduce the gear ratio to expect the same speed / acceleration and with the goal of trying to drop heat but in comparison the temp of the overall system will be more significative, therefore it will affect the durability of those components, for many reasons, the best is to stay somewhere between 3500 and 4000 KV.

As a rule of thumb, more KV mean higher RPM and temperature, lower KV mean more torque and lower temp, with better energy conversion efficiency but between 3500 and 4000 KV, the difference is not notable.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Racer
    For a brushless motor look for a 3650 size can motor that's 36mm (dia.) 50mm (length). For reference a 540 brushed motor is roughly a 3650 can motor. A Titan 550 motor is roughly a 3656 motor. You can get more power out of a 3650 motor than a 550 brushed motor. You can get a bigger motor but in my opinion is not really needed unless you run big tires and are looking at speed runs. I would stay away from the F540 motors the ones that look like a big heatsink (smaller motor in a big heatsink).
    For the Castle the 1410 3800kv should be plenty for your needs.

You said cheap so I mentioned what I said earlier for cheap. I use the Floureon 5200mah batteries and had a Imax B6 charger they both work and are cheap. I have a Goolrc 60a and 3650 3500kv motor in my Stampede and I am happy with what i get out of it.

If your willing to spend more get a Hobbywing or Castle combo don't know your budget and don't know much about UK shipping and sellers they all seem too high to me.

RC Qualifier
    I use the Floureon 5200mah batteries and had a Imax B6 charger they both work and are cheap.
    I use both of these and they are great. I also got an Awanfi battery with similar specs to Floureon, but a few bucks cheaper, and it works well, so if you find them, might check that out.

RC poster
    https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/300323/ so I found this on sheepskin which is sort of the top line that I would want to pay. Thoughts on how it may perform? Cheers

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/300323/ so I found this on sheepskin which is sort of the top line that I would want to pay. Thoughts on how it may perform? Cheers

It's the perfect system for the weekend racer or a hardcore basher, the ESC is really good and the motor is built with a 540 can diameter, so the cooling efficiency will be increased and compared to the Titan system, it will gives something about 50 to 60% more power.

The second that you will put full throttle, only one word will go through your mind... Powerfull

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, Hobbywing makes great systems. That should hold up great for a Rustler.

RC poster
    Awesome :-). What else would I need for this to work? Thanks for all the help guys. Seriously :-D

RC poster
    Also would I be able to use my traxxas series 5 5000 nimh power cell and my traxxas 3000 nimh or would it wear out quicker? Thinking of getting the combo soon then upgrading to lipo later. Moving house so money is tight right now aha.

RC Qualifier
    You should not have a problem using your Traxxas nimh. Only thing is it won't last long, and it won't be as powerful as lipo. Other than that, you might need a different set of gears if you don't already have it. If you bought your Rustler xl-5 brand new, it should come with optional speed gears. I believe it's 23/86 or something like that, which would be a good place to start with your new combo. And once you install it, you'll want to make sure the esc is in nimh mode (lvc off) so it does not cut power early. Can't think of anything else you might need.

There no need to be worried about the use of a 8.4 volt NIMH batteries, they will not damage anything and believe it or not but with a 7.4 volts lipo, it will provide a little more speed and acceleration. If you use NIMH batteries and then as you plan later to get some lipos, don't forget to switch the ESC on lipo mode, otherwise you will ruin the lipos on the first run.

Just simply think to buy a Traxxas male connector and everything's should be ok.

RC poster
    Cheers guys for all the help with understanding things :-)

RC poster
    Does anyone has race tips for the Rustler 4x4 vxl. I'm looking for better control on turns. Maybe race tires for indoors and outdoor. I just upgrade my servo from Traxxas 2075 it stop turning left so I upgrade to Traxxas 2255 servo.

RC Competitor
    That system comes with a 3mm output shaft so your existing pinions will fit.
    Last edited by BMcD308; 03-16-2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I threw up a red flag about output shaft diameter without looking to see the specific item in the link.