Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Enthusiast

Is the torque contnrol slipper clutch upgrade worth it?

I am putting together my next set of upgrades (probably the last major one on this truck) for my very old 2wd pede. I should say the only thing that's old anymore is the transmission which is black and has the old style slipper clutch. I am thinking of upgrading to the current torque control slipper that new pedes have. Being a 2wd I am looking for all the traction I can get and I hear that this clutch is an improvement there along with durability. All the parts are going to cost around $50 so I am just wondering if i will see a noticeable difference in those areas. I'm running the SW3 and 4600 motor and 2s lipo batteries.

Does your truck look like this?:

I am running the stock slipper on it and it does fine with the SW3 and 5700kv motor. I would test with tightening the slipper first and messing with that and see if you can make it fit your standards. If you don't like it, you can always go to the new slipper later.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    I am looking for all the traction I can get and I hear that this clutch is an improvement there along with durability. All the parts are going to cost around $50 so I am just wondering if i will see a noticeable difference in those areas.
    Are you looking at replacing the entire tranny? If you only upgrade the slipper clutch it should be about $20, not $50.

I'd just run your old slipper until either the slipper clutch or the spur gear is dead, then upgrade to the new slipper clutch. If it's slipping a lot then it needs to be tightened. I know the current slippers you tighten it all the way, then back the nut off 1/2 turn, idk if it is the same for the old slipper though. Try making that adjustment, and if it still refuses to do what it should, then it might just be worn out. If so I'd upgrade.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    Are you looking at replacing the entire tranny? If you only upgrade the slipper clutch it should be about $20, not $50.

I'd just run your old slipper until either the slipper clutch or the spur gear is dead, then upgrade to the new slipper clutch. If it's slipping a lot then it needs to be tightened. I know the current slippers you tighten it all the way, then back the nut off 1/2 turn, idk if it is the same for the old slipper though. Try making that adjustment, and if it still refuses to do what it should, then it might just be worn out. If so I'd upgrade.
    Yeah I tried getting them from my LHS but they didn't have the majority of what I needed to make the swap. So I had to use amazon. It's a shame too because I like supporting the LHS and they often beat amazon's prices.

RC Champion
    I swapped the one on my truck once those became available, I would either slip the daylights out of the clutch or have it too tight and strip the spurs, plus that clutch makes spur gear swaps a pain compared to the Torque Control slipper assembly if you need to swap one out for what ever reason.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I tried getting them from my LHS but they didn't have the majority of what I needed to make the swap. So I had to use amazon. It's a shame too because I like supporting the LHS and they often beat amazon's prices.
    Check Ebay. I usually find some of the best prices there, with a few exceptions.

Wait, the stock slipper is an upgrade over something else? I can’t stand the current slipper, I’d hate to see what they used to have.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Wait, the stock slipper is an upgrade over something else? I can’t stand the current slipper, I’d hate to see what they used to have.
    The current slipper Traxxas uses is a BIG upgrade to their original slipper. The old one, had little cylinder slipper pads that went in the spur gear, then like 5 other pieces that you had to line up simultaneously, and keep perfectly straight, while you installed the nut. It's a real pain. The current slipper clutch design is a much smarter, and easier design, more durable too. Why don't you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    The current slipper Traxxas uses is a BIG upgrade to their original slipper. The old one, had little cylinder slipper pads that went in the spur gear, then like 5 other pieces that you had to line up simultaneously, and keep perfectly straight, while you installed the nut. It's a real pain. The current slipper clutch design is a much smarter, and easier design, more durable too. Why don't you like it?
    Thanks for the explanation.

Current slipper has 3 measly pads with very little surface area, spring needs to be tightened all the way to be halfway effective, especially on brushless power. Spring does not sit evenly and provides uneven pressure.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah there were 4 plates on both sides of the spur gear plus a bushing in the middle. Basically you have to assemble it all off the shaft (which was hex shaped) then hope it didn't fall apart as you line it up properly on the shaft as you hold it together with your fingers. I've never had problems with it durability wise but I was hoping I'd see a difference in traction. If not oh well, it's a 2000 stampede upgraded to the nines performance-wise, which was my dream when I bought it at age 14.

I'm curious to know what he doesn't like about though.