Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I change the front shock tower to a rear tower?

One thing I have learned lurking this forum is even if I disagree you guys are a wealth of knowledge I can't ignore. I am considering changing the front shock tower of my Project Traxxas MAXX to a rear shock tower. It is supposed to be a non-race all terrain Monster Truck basher. Which I believe would be a functional modification. Overall this is a somewhat expensive* mod. Imo this is one of the major changes from the slash to a real monster truck where cost kinda has to be set aside to accomplish the goal.

*Because I have to buy a full set of VGracing springs, 2 new rear GTR shocks, and a rear shock tower for a small gain in front shock travel.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-01-2019 at 02:47 AM.

What is your purpose for wanting to replace the front tower with a rear tower? Additional height for the overall length of the shocks? Additional shock mounting positions? "Just because"?

I'm asking because, while you indicate "a small increase in shock travel", I don't see things realistically happening. The overall length of the shocks will be longer, but the top mounting point will also be higher, thus cancelling each other out. Additionally, the chassis, and, thus, the suspension, will still bottom out at the same point, again showing no useable shock travel increase.

Looking at it from a mechanical perspective, you'd be spending a lot of money, yet gaining nothing. I could be wrong, but, visualizing it in my mind (which I tend to be fairly good at), I don't see any actual shock travel increase. In order to increase travel, you'd have to lower the mounting point for the top of the shocks and/or increase shock length...NOT increase the mounting point height. Besides, if you increase the front height, you'll also need to increase the rest, to keep the chassis "balanced".

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    Last edited by Panther6834; 03-01-2019 at 03:23 AM.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I am also interested for that mod so I will follow this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    One thing I have learned lurking this forum is even if I disagree you guys are a wealth of knowledge I can't ignore. I am considering changing the front shock tower of my Project Traxxas MAXX to a rear shock tower. It is supposed to be a non-race all terrain Monster Truck basher. Which I believe would be a functional modification. Overall this is a somewhat expensive* mod. Imo this is one of the major changes from the slash to a real monster truck where cost kinda has to be set aside to accomplish the goal.

*Because I have to buy a full set of VGracing springs, 2 new rear GTR shocks, and a rear shock tower for a small gain in front shock travel.
    You can use Losi springs on XXL GTR shocks too. With what you are doing you might be able to skip changing the front shock tower or even put a front shock tower in the rear for added ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    You can use Losi springs on XXL GTR shocks too. With what you are doing you might be able to skip changing the front shock tower or even put a front shock tower in the rear for added ride height.
    That's closer to what I was thinking, as that lowers (not raises) the mounting point of the top of the shocks. Can also look into longer replacement shock shafts.

I think RazorRC22 did a thread on this mod. Maybe search around or PM him. I think he said the biggest advantage was the amount of droop that could be dialed in with the longer shock. More for track running would be my thoughts.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

You can also put longer shock rod ends on the stock front shocks.

One of the purposes of this mod is to increase the upward travel and droop of the front suspension.

Read this to get the full explanation:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...s-on-the-front
    Last edited by Squeegie; 03-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    What is your purpose for wanting to replace the front tower with a rear tower? Additional height for the overall length of the shocks? Additional shock mounting positions? "Just because"?

I'm asking because, while you indicate "a small increase in shock travel", I don't see things realistically happening. The overall length of the shocks will be longer, but the top mounting point will also be higher, thus cancelling each other out. Additionally, the chassis, and, thus, the suspension, will still bottom out at the same point, again showing no useable shock travel increase.

Looking at it from a mechanical perspective, you'd be spending a lot of money, yet gaining nothing. I could be wrong, but, visualizing it in my mind (which I tend to be fairly good at), I don't see any actual shock travel increase. In order to increase travel, you'd have to lower the mounting point for the top of the shocks and/or increase shock length...NOT increase the mounting point height. Besides, if you increase the front height, you'll also need to increase the rest, to keep the chassis "balanced".

Even though it bottoms out at the same point there is a usable increase in travel. The extra droop allows it to maintain traction better since the tires stay down and when airborne the extra droop equals extra compression travel when you land. Set up properly it won't have any negative effects on handling or stance.

Even though it bottoms out at the same point there is a usable increase in travel. The extra droop allows it to maintain traction better since the tires stay down and when airborne the extra droop equals extra compression travel when you land. Set up properly it won't have any negative effects on handling or stance.
    Shouldn't that be able to be accomplished just by replacing the shock bodies, shock shafts, & springs with longer ones?

This mod is not only for extra droop, but also for extra compression travel.

Read post #2 on the link I posted above (post #7).

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Shouldn't that be able to be accomplished just by replacing the shock bodies, shock shafts, & springs with longer ones?

Just replacing the shocks will limit up travel some due to the longer compressed length and the increased droop will also increase the operating range the axle shafts, possibly to the point of binding or at least increasing the force they need to deal with.

That being said I'm planning on trying it out but will most likely be using the lower mounting points closest to the wheel so the added droop isn't too excessive for the driveline hopefully. I'm planning on running the new low profile 2.8 Trenchers which are .20" shorter then the stock 2.2/3.0 SC wheel/tire combo. The shorter tire will help offset the longer shock length/fully compressed length.

The LP tires still have the same sidewall height as the stock tires do since the stock SC wheel is really a 3.0 wheel with a 2.2 outside sized side wall for looks basically.

The increased stance width should improve handing some and the longer shocks should help absorb impacts besides helping to control the added tire weight while allowing for increased traction. They shouldn't have much of a ballooning issue due to the LP design of the tires.

When modifying suspension there are quite a few things that need to be accounted for.

Other than increased shock travel. The increased fluid capacity for another. I have also considered replacing the rear tower with a front and the front shocks with rear shocks thinking it might allow for higher ride height but then brushed it off as possibly absurd.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Someone else here does it. I think it is not smart. But to each his own I guess. I tried it, and it puts the shocks at a ridiculous angle. Like they need more leverage they weren't designed for....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Here's a pic of a rear Tower and rear GTR shocks on the front. I actually first ran this truck with front shocks , and then rear shocks on the front. I got more droop with the rear shocks, which gave me more travel. The truck handles much better with rear shocks on the front. I have 35wt Losi shock oil on all 4 corners. Pink Traxxas Springs in the front, and black Traxxas Springs in the rear. There's just one word I can use to describe the suspension on this truck......PLUSH!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Here's a pic of a rear Tower and rear GTR shocks on the front. I actually first ran this truck with front shocks , and then rear shocks on the front. I got more droop with the rear shocks, which gave me more travel. The truck handles much better with rear shocks on the front. I have 35wt Losi shock oil on all 4 corners. Pink Traxxas Springs in the front, and black Traxxas Springs in the rear. There's just one word I can use to describe the suspension on this truck......PLUSH!

It looks like you have the JConcepts MT suspension kit on there to me. I think that maintains the narrower front shock tower dimensions. At least the front shock tower is available separately too.

RC Qualifier
    It looks like you have the JConcepts MT suspension kit on there to me. I think that maintains the narrower front shock tower dimensions. At least the front shock tower is available separately too.
    Yes, it is the jconcepts MT suspension kit. If you want to put rear shocks on the front , it's worth the investment of their carbon fiber shock Tower.

@MaXDee
    Those are some HUGE tires! Do those help suspension at all?
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    @MaXDee
    Those are some HUGE tires! Do those help suspension at all?
    Believe it or not, the tires really don't help suspension a whole lot. They're not as squishy as you would think.

Yes, it is the jconcepts MT suspension kit. If you want to put rear shocks on the front , it's worth the investment of their carbon fiber shock Tower.

Too bad the front shock mount is discontinued from the looks of it. Same with the kit.

I did manage to find 2 front shock tower mounts on eBay so I ordered them but they are coming from Hong Kong.

I hate playing the waiting game....

Thanks these are the details I was hoping for. But is it just as possible with a stock rear tower?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Or you could just properly tune your shocks and not have some hack together joke on there

#FACTSDONTCAREABOUTYOURFEELINGS

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Or you could just properly tune your shocks and not have some hack together joke on there

#FACTSDONTCAREABOUTYOURFEELINGS
    Well that's just like your opinion man.... We all know what opinions are like.

From my experience in real off road trucks increased suspension travel has many pluses if it didn't trophy trucks wouldn't have suspension travel that can be measured in feet.

Increased suspension compliance due to extended travel will improve performance. Why shouldn't we properly tune in longer travel suspension instead of a shorter travel system? Is there some special thing that makes less suspension travel a bonus in rough terrain and on harsh landings? Have you tried a longer travel front suspensions setup or was that just conjecture?

#FACTSDON'TSUPPORTALWAYSYOUROPINION

PLEASE keep the conversation civil, gentlemen. A great way to do that is to drop the snarky hashtags. It’s one of the lowest forms of argument and does not allow, much less promote, positive conversation, which is what is required here, no matter how short or long your membership. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-05-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    PLEASE keep the conversation civil, gentlemen. A great way to do that is to drop the snarky hashtags. It’s one of the lowest forms of argument and does not allow, much less promote, positive conversation, which is what is required here, no matter how short or long your membership. -ksb51rl
    Got it. I actually moderate at a different site so your input is appreciated. I know moderation is basically a thankless job, but I would like to thank you for clearing up the moderation/membership standards this site has.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-05-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Qualifier
    All I know is that the longer shocks and suspension travel on the front of my truck made a big difference in the handling, jumping, and Landing. The Landings with the shorter shocks we're always kind of harsh and not smooth. I was never going to keep the shorter front shocks, but I wanted to be able to compare the shorter shocks versus the longer shocks and the performance of each.

All I know is that the longer shocks and suspension travel on the front of my truck made a big difference in the handling, jumping, and Landing. The Landings with the shorter shocks we're always kind of harsh and not smooth. I was never going to keep the shorter front shocks, but I wanted to be able to compare the shorter shocks versus the longer shocks and the performance of each.

JConcepts monster truck kit sure seems to work and hold up great to the abuse they get put thru.

"In the hands of Fred “Free-style” Reep, the conversion set has won the NR/CTPA World Championships and Spring Nationals in the highly competitive Free-style division. At the R/C Monster Jam World Finals in Las Vegas, Nevada, Fred once again locked down 1st place during day 1 to win the Free-style competition. During day 2 at the World Finals, Dan “The Man” Wyatt won a thrilling competition with the JConcepts conversion set in front of a packed arena."

RC Qualifier
    JConcepts monster truck kit sure seems to work and hold up great to the abuse they get put thru.

"In the hands of Fred “Free-style” Reep, the conversion set has won the NR/CTPA World Championships and Spring Nationals in the highly competitive Free-style division. At the R/C Monster Jam World Finals in Las Vegas, Nevada, Fred once again locked down 1st place during day 1 to win the Free-style competition. During day 2 at the World Finals, Dan “The Man” Wyatt won a thrilling competition with the JConcepts conversion set in front of a packed arena."
    That's awesome! I had no idea. It can take some abuse. The only part I have broken is I snapped a stub axle, only because I landed on that wheel off of a jump. It was cool because the tire went rolling across the ground just like it would in a real Monster Jam event when their wheels snap off and go rolling. I just laughed.

That's awesome! I had no idea. It can take some abuse. The only part I have broken is I snapped a stub axle, only because I landed on that wheel off of a jump. It was cool because the tire went rolling across the ground just like it would in a real Monster Jam event when their wheels snap off and go rolling. I just laughed.

Your "crash experience" sounded similar to mine. I had just replaced all four of the stock driveshafts on my Rustler 4x4 with the CVDs, and was driving if for the first time after the swap. I was racing my Rusty, and, after crossing the finish line (3rd place), the winner, who had taking a 'victory lap' crashed into the rear-passenger side. The difference is that, while yours snapped outside the hex, mine snapped almost dead-center at the hex pin.

Like you, I laughed it off. I called Traxxas the next day, told them what had happened, and they shipped the replacement part. While it's sometimes difficult to get info (such as, trying to get all party numbers needed for telemetry) from Traxxas Customer Service, when it comes to other things, they do a great job.

Start watching at 35:25

I had not known of the JConcepts kit till now. The main reason I had not already done the "hack" I was thinking about. Was that you have to seriously angle the camber link to avoid hitting the shock. The kit fixes that problem so I am going with the kit. Was able to find it in stock at: http://www.activepowersports.com/jco...caAg6DEALw_wcB

I had not known of the JConcepts kit till now. The main reason I had not already done the "hack" I was thinking about. Was that you have to seriously angle the camber link to avoid hitting the shock. The kit fixes that problem so I am going with the kit. Was able to find it in stock at: http://www.activepowersports.com/jco...caAg6DEALw_wcB
    I'm leery of places that lack a phone number. When I searched about them online I found this...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...ts-real-2.html

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/escondido/...364/complaints

It sure sounds like buyer beware to me.
    Last edited by T-N-T; 03-03-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Unfortunately this is typical of them. They always say they have stock, but rarely do.

One concern I had with the camber link is it appears to be shorter then the stock Ultimate one I have. If it is shorter it will effect the camber curve as the suspension cycles. From the looks of it this may cause a zero to positive camber change which may be fine/desired for monster sized tires. I don't plan on using a wheel smaller then a 2.8" wheel this is why I was trying to duplicate the JConcepts 2901-1 front kit(n/a) as close as I possibly can. The eBay seller has more front towers listed now. The body mounts are available from multiple sources and I went with a threaded Associated shock standoff to complete the kit.

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/traxxa...conversion-kit

RC Qualifier
    I have the stock A-Arms on my truck with the stock camber links. Everything works great, no issues.

RC Qualifier
    Start watching at 35:25

Thank you for this video! This is awesome!!

RC Qualifier
    The whole kit is definitely worth the investment. All the parts fit like a glove. None of the links rub on the shocks. It's beautiful.

Jconcepts front shock tower looks nice.

Should you use longer shocks on front? Yes.
    Do you need to use a taller shock tower? Yes.
    Is the Jconcepts one the best choice? Yes.
    Will the stock rear tower work? Yes, unless you need the front swaybar.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

I'm leery of places that lack a phone number. When I searched about them online I found this...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...ts-real-2.html

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/escondido/...364/complaints

It sure sounds like buyer beware to me.
    I have used them many times and yes they never have stock on hand ever. I understood this from the begining bc they are just sales agents with tons of connections to an abundance of distributors. But unlike many other similar type of sites they alway broker a deal where they can offer the item at or below the suggested retail price. As you can see from the link I posted it has the same price setup as JConcepts store page. I have also never had trouble communicating with them by email with quick replies about how long it will be for available stock and estimated delivery dates. They have also never denied me an order cancelation.

Now I can't really explain how to "feel out" an online vendor before buying anything from a new, to you, online vendor. But it is always a good idea to use PayPal because they afford great protections to the buyer and if the vendor agrees to these terms you can feel pretty confident you will not lose anything in the transaction.

From what I was able to get from JConcepts is that the kits has been "Out of Stock" for about 6 months but all the parts are available individually so they plan to support the kit. So I am giving Active Powersports a chance to get me the kit at a reasonable price since I can't find one.

I would bet I get my kit before JConcepts gets it in stock.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-03-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Well I was way off. Active Powersports has already canceled the order. So I don't think that kit is in my future. Unless I buy each part as it gets in stock from JConcepts.

Well I was way off. Active Powersports has already canceled the order. So I don't think that kit is in my future. Unless I buy each part as it gets in stock from JConcepts.
    All of the parts are available if you source them from eBay and/or a few other places. JConcepts has a pdf that shows all of the hardware needed also. All you really need are the front parts.

http://www.jconcepts.net/mt-conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast