Sp2deSummit's Summit.

Ok guys, this will be where I will post all my upgrades and replacements. So far, this is what I've got-

On the truck-
    HR shock bodies
    Blue Springs (shocks don't have any oil right now)
    Merv driveshafts
    Merv rockers

Soon to be-
    45w shock oil
    Front Bulkhead
    Summit rockers

Coming-
    New Rocker posts (I stripped one because of too much tightening)

This is what is not on yet, besides the arm posts:

I can't do anything with it till the posts arrive, unless I don't want to drive it. Which I do. It may be awhile before I post anything else, because I need a job first.
    I like free stuff!

Ok, finally got my rocker posts:

Later I will install everything, hopefully it all goes well.
    I like free stuff!

All right, I have everything in besides the shocks now, they are getting filled, hopefully soon. The long travel rockers do lift my truck about 1/2in, which is . Supposed to be getting 2 SMC 2s lipos in on Monday, so we will see how that goes. Now I need to get a parallel adapter for them...

Thinking of going with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Harne.../dp/B07F9P72Y3
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 03-06-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    I like free stuff!

The shocks are filled, and only leaking slightly . I took it for a spin on the road, and man, it was flipping left and right. I even have the tranny flipped! But, I know that the LT rockers weren't meant for road usage as much as offroad. The articulation was insane! I can't wait for the snow to go away, so I can do some more offroad.
    I like free stuff!

Yeah!!! My 2 2500mAh 2s SMCs arrived today. I tried one out, and for some awesome reason, my stock 3M ESC let it go down to 6.9v, when it only lets my traxxas one down to 7.4v! The run time was GREAT! I still have to finish off the other one, but if it does the same thing, I will be stoked!

One question, the manual for the batteries say they can charge at 2c, and I am wondering when can i possibly start to charge it at 5 amps? They are 2500mAh batts, so...

I like free stuff!

The reason you can run the SMC battery lower is because it has less voltage drop on load. The ESC I believe does low voltage at any point it drops to 6.4v. Charging at above 1C is for convenience but costs longevity not really much with quality cells like SMC. You might lose 2-5% over the life of the cell charging at 2C but a lesser battery would lose 20-25%. This is why most just say to charge only at 1C. Charging at 2C increases the risk of fire so be extra cautious and have a quality charger.

Thanks for responding! I read somewhere about the static charge and charge underlay being slightly different, but never connected it to the lvc cutoff. But I have been charging them at 2c for a while now, and it's great! I have a decent charger, it's an older hitec X4.

I now need to get some shock rebuild kits, diff rebuild kits, and I a new front a-arm. I noticed a couple of days ago that it was cracked on one half of the arm. But, this truck is old so it is to be expected. I also realized I need to get a cover for the spur gear, because I forgot I'd lost mine.
    I like free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    The shocks are filled, and only leaking slightly . I took it for a spin on the road, and man, it was flipping left and right. I even have the tranny flipped! But, I know that the LT rockers weren't meant for road usage as much as offroad. The articulation was insane! I can't wait for the snow to go away, so I can do some more offroad.
    I tried the long travel rockers on my Merv trying to fight the "squat" on throttle. It gave it a nice lift but made the dampening way softer so they came right back off. I upgrade the shocks to the GTRs and happy to say no leaks any more. I now use rear shock oil wt and rebound to fix "squat".

Yeah, I don't have the money for GTR's. I should try the green goop(slime) and see how it does too. Right now I'm guessing my shocks are 20% filled with dirty 45wt oil. It makes the suspension really soft, which is IMO really fun to watch , just not on jumps. One of front LT rockers doesn't hold a screw in it very well anymore, because it cracked on the very tip of the end . When I did this, I think I must have used the wrong screw to mount them:

I guess I'll try super glue for now. Or just put the P2s back on...
    I like free stuff!

Yeah, I don't have the money for GTR's. I should try the green goop(slime) and see how it does too. Right now I'm guessing my shocks are 20% filled with dirty 45wt oil. It makes the suspension really soft, which is IMO really fun to watch , just not on jumps. One of front LT rockers doesn't hold a screw in it very well anymore, because it cracked on the very tip of the end . When I did this, I think I must have used the wrong screw to mount them:

I guess I'll try super glue for now. Or just put the P2s back on...
    I hear yea about the GTR they are way too expensive for just fixing the leaks but I bet some teflon tape expertly used on the cap threads on the HR shock would go far. I say expertly because placement would be everything and might not work the first time. Plus try your best not to tighten the caps to much teflon fills the gaps well but also makes it easy to over tighten.
    I like to jump and flip with my Merv so I am already at 100wt in the shocks and am considering diff fluid next but might have to up size on the piston holes.

This pic shows my current setup and most of the my upgrades can be seen except the metal center shafts.

Last edited by zedorda; 04-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Hmm, guess I could try teflon. Your's looks so much cleaner then mine does! I haven't cleaned mine in bit though... Wait, you haven't gone brushless yet? How well does the titan fit with the body on?
    I like free stuff!

Hmm, guess I could try teflon. Your's looks so much cleaner then mine does! I haven't cleaned mine in bit though... Wait, you haven't gone brushless yet? How well does the titan fit with the body on?
    It is the "big block" version and it came with the titan 12t stock. So it fits goods just a few mm above the heat sink fins.

Ok, I was thinking of putting a SW3 in mine with the big block mount. Are your speeds good with that motor?
    I like free stuff!

Oh yeah for me the Titan 12t is more than enough for this little Merv. I get wheelies on launch or at speed without trouble.

Speaking of wheelies, I need to make a wheelie bar for my summit. It's just popping up, going all the way back, scraping and catching, which sends it flipping forward again. I was thinking just some plastic peice that wraps up the back from the bottom, which should help it to not scrape away the body posts.
    I like free stuff!

If you figure something out for a good wheelie bar plz share because what is on the market now is pretty bad.

I will, just have to figure something out first. I like your profile pic...
    I like free stuff!

OK, so I haven't ran it or thought about it for a while now, (my summit) but tonight I charged up a batt and had a go with it. I was towing a small trailer with it, and in the trailer I put some kittens. I am pretty sure I blew my front diff finally because of it. Will open it up tomorrow and see for sure...
    I like free stuff!

Hmmm, its not as bad as I thought. Rear diff:

Front Diff:

I might buy some more shims and see if that helps. Shims for days! If not, I'll get new ring and pinion gears. Wish I could just get a pinion gear. Also, I need to clean all the shocks because of the leaked oil...
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 05-08-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    I like free stuff!

OK, looked into it further and found this in the front bulkhead:

I think this was the actual cause of the clicking I was hearing, so that means I don't have to buy more shims and/or new diffs! Unfortunately, I can't run it in 4x4 now until the new bearing comes in. So, if I put 8 shims on the rear diff, will it hold out?
    I like free stuff!

Well, 8 shims held out for at least 5 min, but only on 75% power. After that 5 min, I noticed there was some electrical tape around the wires coming off the ESC, so I tried to take it off. Unfortunately, I was holding the connecter to pry it off, and this happened:

So now I have to resolder it on, after I learn how to. Will update after that.

8 shims:
    I like free stuff!