RC Enthusiast

Would you get a full TRX4 or the Sport for pure crawling?

Which would you get if for pure crawling performance? I like the idea of the sport because there would be slightly less maintenance, and I do not care about realism as long as it still looks like a car/truck. Getting a kit would allow me to have the option to have two speed or unlocking diffs if I ever decided I want them though.

I am torn. Any insight is appreciated. (Please let me know if this isn't an appropriate thread)

I have my main TRX4 set up for competition, but none of that takes away from just trail running it.

I really like the 2-speed, high and low are far enough apart to be useful. But, it can be argued that the right ESC/motor combo negates the two-speed and provides the necessary range. The 2-speed is more useful when running a brushed set up, but a system like my MambaX provides enough controllable power and wheels speed throughout its throttle band that I could easily keep my truck in high and still perform very well.

The locking diffs are fun, but in the end I removed mine, its just more stuff that needs fussing with.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TeachMeCars View Post
    Which would you get if for pure crawling performance? I like the idea of the sport because there would be slightly less maintenance, and I do not care about realism as long as it still looks like a car/truck. Getting a kit would allow me to have the option to have two speed or unlocking diffs if I ever decided I want them though.

I am torn. Any insight is appreciated. (Please let me know if this isn't an appropriate thread)
    Both chassis"s are great platforms. I have 4 TRX4s and one is a Sport. The Sport not having locking diffs is not a big issue for me but I like having the 2 speed transmission. I like having the extra wheel speed when I need it.
    Last edited by PFurlong71; 03-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PFurlong71 View Post
    ...The Sport not having locking diffs is not a big issue for me ....
    ^^FYI The Sport has full time locked diffs.

OP: For pure rock crawling go with the Sport all the way. Simpler/Lighter(sprung weight)

First off with the Sport you dont have all the extra servos that will overheat the esc..So you can beef up your Sports steering servo and horn right off the bat without having to add an external BEC.

The Sport drives fast enough to walk behind it when driving between climbing zones...IMO it doesn't need to drive any faster unless you want to bash it or run along side your rig.

First 2 upgrades I would recommend are:
    Beef up the Steering Servo/ Horn
    Over/Under gears in the Diffs

Super happy with mine, go for it.
    Last edited by RustyTaco; 03-04-2019 at 01:33 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    ...The locking diffs are fun, but in the end I removed mine, its just more stuff that needs fussing with.
    Your post is confusing....Do you mean you removed the TRX4's differential locking/unlocking servo function?

I would guess most people who are crawling their TRX4's and decide to get rid of the locking/unlocking function will lock their diffs full time (like the Sports) with a locker/spool conversion...https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...SABEgLADfD_BwE

...Anyways if you get a Sport you wont have to deal with the extra servo that locks/unlocks the diffs, The Sport's diffs are locked full time which is what you want if you're strictly crawling and want less fuss.
    Last edited by RustyTaco; 03-04-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTaco View Post
    Your post is confusing....Do you mean you removed the TRX4's differential locking/unlocking servo function?

I would guess most people who are crawling their TRX4's and decide to get rid of the locking/unlocking function will lock their diffs full time (like the Sports) with a locker/spool conversion...https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...SABEgLADfD_BwE

...Anyways if you get a Sport you wont have to deal with the extra servo that locks/unlocks the diffs, The Sport's diffs are locked full time which is what you want if you're strictly crawling and want less fuss.
    Sorry about the confusion... Yes, the ability to lock and unlock the diffs is a fun option. It also has its usualness in competition, when you are climbing and one of your rear wheels has traction, the other doesn't and you are getting pushed to one side, you can unlock the diff, unload the wheel that has traction, and straighten yourself out.

Yes, just get and install spools to lock it up.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyTaco View Post
    ^^FYI The Sport has full time locked diffs.

OP: For pure rock crawling go with the Sport all the way. Simpler/Lighter(sprung weight)

First off with the Sport you dont have all the extra servos that will overheat the esc..So you can beef up your Sports steering servo and horn right off the bat without having to add an external BEC.

The Sport drives fast enough to walk behind it when driving between climbing zones...IMO it doesn't need to drive any faster unless you want to bash it or run along side your rig.

First 2 upgrades I would recommend are:
    Beef up the Steering Servo/ Horn
    Over/Under gears in the Diffs

Super happy with mine, go for it.
    I know the sport has locked diffs. It should have read ...The Sport not having REMOTE locking diffs is not a big issue for me ....
    Last edited by PFurlong71; 03-04-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The sport is an amazing truck in stock form. It mostly keeps up with my Ascender with over 400$ of chassis based upgrades and
    a few custom 1 off parts. It can also do a few obstacles mine can't. You don't need the extras to start. Add options in later if ya want to tweak stuff.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...