RC poster

Question Noob - Looking for first RC car

So, noob here looking to get into RC cars again. I used to be way back when and technology was way different so I知 learning and researching all over again. I知 looking at picking up a Slash or Rustler (leaning towards the Slash which is why I posted in here). What I知 looking for is something with decent speed, 30-50痴 would be good (70+ is too much for me right now). Also want something durable as I知 sure I値l be banging it and crashing it quite a bit. I知 thinking of skipping on LiPo batteries for now, seems like another level of complexity for this noob. But my hobby shop said go ahead and jump to brushless, the VXL line. They値l offer more speed even with NiMH batteries and gearing, and are more durable in the long run. Also with the TSM it will help as well as I learn how to handle the car. Would this be true?

The other decision would be between 2wd or 4wd. Most of my running would be mixed environments. Pavement, grass, dirt, etc. Looking to do some jumps and stuff, but nothing record breaking, or racing competitive or anything like that. Just a fun toy for a kid at heart that will take most of what I値l throw at it.

Part of me is also looking at the small 1/16 sized (Slash or Revo) partly because of cost. But I知 afraid that due to their size, not as fast, etc., I may get a bit bored with them rather quickly.

So any suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated.

RC poster
    I bought a Slash 2wd VXL over the summer. Its quick with the 2S Lipo and Its too fast for my street (cul-de-sac) with a 3S Lipo. Depending on the pinion/battery combo it pushes the speed past 50. I bash it hard and has not failed me yet.

RC Qualifier
    We have two 2wd Slashes. The first was a non-VXL 2wd Slash without TSM for me. The second was a VXL 2wd Slash with TSM for our son. I went through three Titan motors before I upgraded mine to VXL so I would definitely go with VXL. Personally, I don't like TSM but it helps our son. We both use 8.4v 5000 mah NiMh batteries. I drive on full which is plenty fast and he drives on 50%. Our backyard is flat sand-clay so 2wd is perfect. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the 2wd Slash again, VXL versions.

If the grass is tall then perhaps 4wd might be better suited, but I definitely recommend a full size VXL Slash. Hope this helps.

RC poster
    @55Chevy - How much run time do you get on the batteries you guys are using?

RC poster
    i think they last about 25min depending on how hard you push them. slash-vxl-tsm is grate does 35 mph on (NiMH, 7-C flat, 8.4V) and when you are ready you can take it to the next level and put some 5000mAh 3S LiPos in with 31-T / 76-T gears and boost your speed to 60mph

https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../slash-vxl-tsm

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely think VXL is the way to go. Still kind of torn between the Slash and Rustler to be honest. The hobby shop told me from what they see, the Slash seems to be more durable as the bumpers on the front and back absorb most of the hits during crashes. With the Rustlers wheels exposed, they take more of the impacts and the arms tend to break more. But the Rustler seems to be a better general driver, bash around, etc. Decisions decisions decisions....

For batteries, basic understanding is...

Voltage = Speed
    mAh = Time

Yeah, something like that. Which one do you think looks better? That might be your decision maker. Hope you have a good time with whatever you choose!
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Ginger View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely think VXL is the way to go. Still kind of torn between the Slash and Rustler to be honest. The hobby shop told me from what they see, the Slash seems to be more durable as the bumpers on the front and back absorb most of the hits during crashes. With the Rustlers wheels exposed, they take more of the impacts and the arms tend to break more. But the Rustler seems to be a better general driver, bash around, etc. Decisions decisions decisions....

For batteries, basic understanding is...

Voltage = Speed
    mAh = Time
    Firstly, I recommend 4x4.

The slash 4x4 and rustler 4x4 are very similar to each other.

The rustler is about an inch shorter. It also uses 2.8 wheels instead of SC wheels. To add, they use different body types, and the slash one tends to 菟arachute. The rustler is much better for flipping and wheelies.

Another thing to consider, is that you can get a slash 4x4 ultimate but not a rustler 4x4 ultimate. It wouldn稚 be hard to upgrade them both yourself. They essentially use the same parts and have a lot of after market support. But the ultimate, comes with a bunch of upgraded parts. These aren稚 useless upgrades and do add a lot of strength to the truck.

RC Racer
    That new redesigned rustler is awesome. Between the slash and the new rustler I would pick the rustler hands down. I think the rustler is a little more off road capable with the wheel setup vs the slash being more like a truck design. I just bought the erevo 2.0 but if I was in the market for something a little smaller and cheaper it would definitely be that new rustler. It kind of looks like a mini revo. And whatever you do 4wd is the way to go. 2wd is harder to control and stuff like grass really slows em down.

Also, as far as LiPo batteries, they池e so much better than nimh batteries. They give the truck a ton more power and last a lot longer, and the power doesn稚 fade as they discharge. If you池e worrying about them being too complex, get Traxxas lipos with a Traxxas ez peak charger. You literally just plug them in and hit start.
    Last edited by justin13703; 03-03-2019 at 03:15 PM.

RC poster
    Honestly, I like both cars. I grew up watching Mickey Thompson races on TV, Ivan “Ironman” Stewart. I think that is what attracts me to those trucks, the Slash. But I had RC buggy and yellow monster truck. The Rustler reminds me of a buggy on steroids. So I’m all over the place.

The Slash Ultimate is out of my price range, especially since I’m just getting into the hobby again. The VXL’s are pushing the uppper limits of my budget, and 4x4 VXL is at the very very limit. Especially since I have to buy a charger and probably a couple of batteries. Cause you know just 1 won’t do.

I’ve seen picks and videos of a Slash monster conversion and that is like the perfect one. But I realize that I have to spend $$ to get it to that point.

At any rate, I greatly appreciate the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming. Like I said, I’m a noob and learning this stuff all over again. It’s fun!

Part of me is also looking at the small 1/16 sized (Slash or Revo) partly because of cost. But I知 afraid that due to their size, not as fast, etc., I may get a bit bored with them rather quickly.
    The 1/16s are pretty quick, and the parts are less expensive. If you get lipos and the vxl version, they will never be a bore IMO . I have a 1/16 summit, and it is really fun! But I also like driving the 1/10s, because they are just plain bigger! You can't go wrong either way , and it sounds like you want to go towards 1/10.
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    Well I’ve been doing more looking. I’m leaning towards the 1/16 E-Revo VXL now. I’ll be honest, cost is a bit of a factor. I can get one, charger (or AC to DC adapter) and spare batteries for around half the cost then a 1/10 Slash or Rustler including charger and batteries. If I end up not driving it as much, then I’m not out as much money, still would be able to sell it at a decent price. If I do want to go bigger, then I can in the future and the E-Revo could be good for my kids (or still sell it off), Plus where I would probably be driving it, I don’t think the size will be too much of a factor as the grass in these areas is pretty short, almost golf course length in some areas. And I think it will be plenty fast enough, especially with the dual battery setup.

RC Qualifier
    Well I致e been doing more looking. I知 leaning towards the 1/16 E-Revo VXL now. I値l be honest, cost is a bit of a factor. I can get one, charger (or AC to DC adapter) and spare batteries for around half the cost then a 1/10 Slash or Rustler including charger and batteries. If I end up not driving it as much, then I知 not out as much money, still would be able to sell it at a decent price. If I do want to go bigger, then I can in the future and the E-Revo could be good for my kids (or still sell it off), Plus where I would probably be driving it, I don稚 think the size will be too much of a factor as the grass in these areas is pretty short, almost golf course length in some areas. And I think it will be plenty fast enough, especially with the dual battery setup.
    When I started out (just 2 years ago)
    I was able to find a local deal on a used Slash 2wd for $120 with battery. A Stampede 2wd is allot of fun on all terrains and can be had new on eBay for around 179 ish shipped. Really not a bad deal.

I have since owned an X-Maxx 8s, 4tec 2.0, and Slash 4x4. While these models offer some different experiences... for overall general fun I think the basic 2wd models are a blast and cost considerably less to run long term.

-Liberty

RC Competitor
    I took delivery on my E-Revo VXL 1/16 yesterday. My first impressions are that this is an awesome and very capable little truck for the money. I feel that $250 is a smoking deal for what you get. I'm a nitro guy with an old T-Maxx Pro .15 that I bought used and fixed up and also have a brand new in the box Revo 3.3. This little E-Revo is my first hobby grade electric and so far I love it!

I've only run it in my house a bit as we are still buried in snow here in northern NY. But running single NiMh battery it's quite snotty. I also grabbed both the series and parallel connectors and extra battery for it. Haven't tried the dual batt setup yet. There are a couple YouTube vids demonstrating the 1/16 E Revo and the different batt setups. It's silly fast on series duals! Lol! Even on single NiMh it's no slouch

Bottom line: I would recommend one.
    Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; 03-09-2019 at 08:06 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    When I started out (just 2 years ago)
    I was able to find a local deal on a used Slash 2wd for $120 with battery. A Stampede 2wd is allot of fun on all terrains and can be had new on eBay for around 179 ish shipped. Really not a bad deal.

I have since owned an X-Maxx 8s, 4tec 2.0, and Slash 4x4. While these models offer some different experiences... for overall general fun I think the basic 2wd models are a blast and cost considerably less to run long term.

-Liberty
    I’ve been looking for a while for a decent used slash or rustler. Everything around here that is a decent price is pretty beat up, doesn’t include something like a remote, or needs something fixed or replaced. By the time I spend he money to fix or replace those items, I’m almost at the cost of a new one. Plus still need batteries and a charger. Ones that are in pretty good shape are only a few bucks short of a new one. So unfortunately a decent used local deal probably won’t be happening for me. Kind of frustrating!

You do bring up a good point. Just like a real car, 4x4’s cost more to maintain, more to fix, just more parts overall in general, etc. Honestly a 2wd would probably be fine for what I’d be driving on/in.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 350r View Post
    I took delivery on my E-Revo VXL 1/16 yesterday. My first impressions are that this is an awesome and very capable little truck for the money. I feel that $250 is a smoking deal for what you get. I'm a nitro guy with an old T-Maxx Pro .15 that I bought used and fixed up and also have a brand new in the box Revo 3.3. This little E-Revo is my first hobby grade electric and so far I love it!

I've only run it in my house a bit as we are still buried in snow here in northern NY. But running single NiMh battery it's quite snotty. I also grabbed both the series and parallel connectors and extra battery for it. Haven't tried the dual batt setup yet. There are a couple YouTube vids demonstrating the 1/16 E Revo and the different batt setups. It's silly fast on series duals! Lol! Even on single NiMh it's no slouch

Bottom line: I would recommend one.
    Yeah, I’ve seen a few of those videos too. Looks like a fun little car.

Man, you guys all bring up good points, and make decisions harder than easier. Thanks a lot!! LOL

RC Competitor
    Lol! I feel your pain.

I really think that among Traxxas products, the 1/16 models that had the recent price reduction are the best deal going for your money.

Went to visit my mom today, she has a large driveway, recently plowed and a nice surface to stretch the legs of the little Revo a bit. Yep, it's actually pretty fast on a single NiMh battery. Amazingly fast for it's size in fact.

RC poster
    Ok, so I bit the bullet on a 1/16 E-Revo, extra NiMH battery and both series and parallel cable. This thing has a bit of attitude, even in training mode. I have a feeling I’ll be utilizing the training mode for a bit until I get the hang of it. Now, any advice on how to keep it out of my 7 year olds hands?

Give him a brushed version.
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Give him a brushed version.
    Ha, maybe I should have gone with the brushed version!!

Don't say that! It will feel really slow if you get one, now that you have a VXL. But, it will be a nicer slow speed for a 7 year old. If you are now debating one for him, maybe go with a 1/18. I have no experience with them, but I am guessing it would be harder to break it, because they are so little!
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    LOL, oh no. Im good with the VXL. Just gonna take some practice. To be honest, the cars I had growing up were not this fast. Mine maybe hit 20mph. And I thought that was fast. This is gonna be fun.

I think for him he needs quite a bit more practice before I entertain the thought of him even getting a 1/18.

Huh, maybe that practice means driving your VXL lol Yeah, on lipo, the 1/16s are pretty dang fun!!!
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    I've owned multiple Traxxas trucks before and I really like their products but right now I only have the Fiesta ST and I really want to get an off-road truck and Ive narrowed down my choices to the the rustler 4x4 vxl and slash vxl, what battery should i get for them?

RC poster
    So I’ve had this little turd for a few weeks now. All I can say is this thing is quick, fast and squirrelly. I used the series wiring harness this evening because I was curious just how fast it would go. Let’s just say I won’t be doing that again any time soon. Way too hard to control! Looking back, maybe I do wish I would have gotten something bigger (slash or rustler). This thing hits little bumps pretty hard, especially at higher speeds.

Now, I have developed a bit of an issue. When I turn the wheels to the right, I get a bit of a grinding sound, almost like something is striped and is having problems. When I turn it to the left, it is fine. I’ve tried adjusting the TSM and the alignment control on the remote, but nothing seems to help. Since I’m still a noob, can someone help point me in the right direction on what to look for.

I’ll see if I can upload a video tomorrow. TIA!