RC Enthusiast

Thermal shut down Stampede 4x4 and slash 4x4

Another thermal shut down question?
    Went out in the snow with a stampede 4x4 stock BRAND NEW ESC (after sending it back for the same thing) and a stock 4x4 slash! We got about two minutes with the stampede (3s) and nothing about 5 minutes with the slash (2s)! Changed batteries, Nothing with the stampede still blinking red and about ten minutes with the slash then nothing! Both motors in the 120į range, Batteries read the right amperage and were charged this morning.
    Could the batteries be bad and show good?
    What is they best esc out there these days. The vxl esc seems to be turd these days!

RC Qualifier
    The motor temps are fine but what are the ESC temps? Donít see that you have them listed. The VXL ESC is fine if and if only you are geared correctly and not running it full throttle all the time. If you are looking to do that then I suggest getting something like a castle creations sidewinder 1/8th scale ESC/motor combo, or something similar in both size and amperage capabilities. The VXL isnít made to run 3s all out for a full pack. More like a couple minutes then let it cool down as you are already seeing. Look into a 1/8th scale ESC/motor combo for what you are wanting to do. JMHO.

RC Enthusiast
    ESC temps? I never took them, never even thought about that!
    I took it out again, tge next day and before reading the reply with a 2s battery and the same result, almost instant thermal shut down! I just figured a fan on the esc and two on the motor were sufficient. I need to upgrade I suppose!

The Velenion combo is known for heat issues on 3s but geared correctly it should be happy on a 2s. What lipo are you running, what gearing? Are you sure it's thermal, you mentioned the light blinking,slow or fast? One is thermal, one is low voltage.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    I have a Slash 4x4 that’s 2 years old and it won’t run more than 5min. when the temperature is below -2c. The truck runs fine all summer but could never run in winter. I tried running it yesterday when it was -4c and no luck so I had to drive a different Slash that will run in colder temps. I have 5 4x4 Slash’s and 2 Stampede 4x4’s all VXL’s And just that one truck won’t run in cold weather.

My stampede 4x4 vxl with the vxl-3s/3550 3500kv motor would be fine if I ran 13/54 gearing on 2S with stock tires if I didn't run WOT in the grass constantly... which I did. I had the esc fan and a motor fan. Ended up switching to the cast sct sv3/3800kv with the same gearing and pro-line trenchers (and mip x-duty cvd's) and I could run pack after pack (7200mah 2S) all day long on grass or pavement.

I still have the vxl-3s powering my converted erevo with a hobbystar 3660 3200kv motor as the 3550 3500kv motor died on me when I started running 3S in it. I then ran a spare castle 3800kv in it, but it ran pretty warm, so I'm trying the lower kv/longer motor to see how it does this spring.

Running a hobbywing max10 sct/3200kv in my stampede now with 3S. So far so good, but it hasn't warmed up outside yet. Warmest was 50F, but it ran fine with motor temps at 105F and esc at 98F after a long hard run at a grass bmx track... so I may be able to go up a tooth and get a bit more speed.
    Expert rigging at it's best!