RC Enthusiast

Added weight Killed my Bronco's motor? What should I replace it with?

Hey!

I've seen some threads about motors & ESC's but not too recent. Plus I thought this might be worth a discussion since my Bronco is a bit of a heavy pig now with all the brass and metal parts I've added. lol

So I took my Bronco out for it's maiden voyage after some more upgrades, and my motor died after 10 minutes.

Here's it is on an awesome hill (fairly high up) about 2 minutes before it died:

I wonder if it is due to the extra weight? I just added Metal bumpers and a winch. Previous mods- Samix brass front and some rear parts. (have a couple more for the back), Traxxas BEC, Traxxas light kit, Power HD steering servo, RC4WD CChand trim pieces, etc.

I'm wondering if I just had some bad luck, and replacing the motor with the same will be fine (Have probably less than a dozen packs on the truck so far, so not much use), or is it better to go with something else?

Some of the things I really like about the stock setup- 1: I have 2 ID Chargers and really like the chargers, batteries and battery charging app. 2: I also really like the truck's app. I haven't seen the incline meter work yet, but that also sounds cool!

Suggestions?

How many runs did you have on the motor before it died?

Have you ran it through water, mud, sand, or snow without doing maintenance on it?

With proper maintenance, the stock motor should give you a lot of life, but there are better options out there. Are you looking to stay brushed, or are you looking at brushless? What is your budget?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the reply, Greatscott.

Not many runs yet... probably a dozen or so packs. I also have stayed pretty clear of water, snow and heavy mud. (Some light mud here and there, but nothing very "liquidy") My X-Maxx is a different story! I run that in snow, across puddles, through deep wet mud, and am real good at making sure I clean it, WD40 it, and tear it down to go through the bearings regularly. Although, even on that, I haven't done anything to the motor.

In terms of brushed or brushless, and budget, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't really get what the benefits for a crawler are of brushless, so I don't see the value of the extra cost/investment. Sure, flipping it into high gear, the brushless system would help me get from point A to B faster, but I still have to get to point B, so... that doesn't seem very important. lol The higher speed of brushless of course makes bashing more fun, but that's not my main goal for this. I've read that brushless can mean a smoother throttle control, but not sure how much of a difference that really is. A few minutes of crawling around, and I've already adjusted from my heavy fingered X-Maxx to a lighter control for the TRX-4. (Ok... going in reverse is annoying on the TRX-4. Hard to get it to not lurch when trying to get into reverse, but even that I'm doing better at).

I've done some of the Googles to look into this, but haven't found good answers, so I thought I'd post here to get some insight. (and help me figure out my answers to your questions. )

My thoughts on brushless
    Longer run times
    More tunable for your driving style.
    More power and speed no really important in this case but wheel speed can be quite handy

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    What are these better options you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMeCars View Post
    What are these better options you speak of?
    Mamba-X with a 1406-1900kv sensored motor.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks JaMann. Those are some pretty decent benefits. I'm sure it would also help with the fact that my TRX-4 is much heavier now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Mamba-X with a 1406-1900kv sensored motor.
    Thanks Greatscott. It looks as though I'd lose my Traxxas app for the truck. Plus I don't think Traxxas sells their connectors separately, so I would have to convert the connectors on my batteries and wouldn't be able to use my Traxxas ID Chargers. Is that right? Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by UnkTob2002 View Post
    Thanks JaMann. Those are some pretty decent benefits. I'm sure it would also help with the fact that my TRX-4 is much heavier now.
    As long as the rx stays the app works fine.i run a MMP with a 13.5t
    Sensored motor on 3s.

Thanks Greatscott. It looks as though I'd lose my Traxxas app for the truck. Plus I don't think Traxxas sells their connectors separately, so I would have to convert the connectors on my batteries and wouldn't be able to use my Traxxas ID Chargers. Is that right? Dang.
    Gearing down a tooth or two on the pinion will help reduce the load on the motor.You will lose some top end speed but that's not what your after anyways.if brushless is chosen a sensored setup as was recommended speed won't be a issue you will have plenty without losing the crawling ability?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamann; 03-04-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by UnkTob2002 View Post

I run xt60 connecters on all my stuff.so I made a adapter.
    The old style traxxas plugs work just have to plug in the balance lead into the balance port.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

App will still work as long as you don't change radio and receiver

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a short life for a motor. If taken care of you should get much more out of the motor. Sounds like you added some weight to the truck, but imo not enough to kill a motor yet.

Now you are facing a decision of staying brushed or brushless. Ask yourself what are you willing to spend. There are ups and downs of both brushed and brushless.

If money is tight maybe tossing in another stock motor will be a good choice for you. Or if you don't want to mess with and adjustments on the truck.

Some will go for a really nice setup for a esc and put a quality brushes motor with it. Gives you great low end speed and other benefits.

If you go brushless, sensored, you get all the benefits of a good brushed motor and easier to deal with.

Greatscott had a really good comment, a mamba x with a 1900kv. It's a really great setup. I have this setup in another build of mine and love it. So many options of setup with the mamba x.

If you have time. Sit down and pull up YouTube and watch some episode of Holmes hobbies where he talks about the benefits of brushed and brushless. It will give you a better understanding of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    Sounds like a short life for a motor. If taken care of you should get much more out of the motor. Sounds like you added some weight to the truck, but imo not enough to kill a motor yet.

Now you are facing a decision of staying brushed or brushless. Ask yourself what are you willing to spend. There are ups and downs of both brushed and brushless.

If money is tight maybe tossing in another stock motor will be a good choice for you. Or if you don't want to mess with and adjustments on the truck.

Some will go for a really nice setup for a esc and put a quality brushes motor with it. Gives you great low end speed and other benefits.

If you go brushless, sensored, you get all the benefits of a good brushed motor and easier to deal with.

Greatscott had a really good comment, a mamba x with a 1900kv. It's a really great setup. I have this setup in another build of mine and love it. So many options of setup with the mamba x.

If you have time. Sit down and pull up YouTube and watch some episode of Holmes hobbies where he talks about the benefits of brushed and brushless. It will give you a better understanding of the two.
    That is really good advice.John Holmes knows esc and motors.
    I forgot about those vids.
    They are exellent at helping you understand what you need for your application.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I've added a lot of weight on mines with brass and alloy parts fitted. I run a 9t pinion and as well as it making the motor run much cooler it gives a better start up, more low speed control and makes the drag brake work better and stronger.

The Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21 turn is a good cheap replacement for stock and if the 9 tooth pinion isn't slow enough you can even try the 27 turn 550 Sport motor.

There are some cheap 550's from Chinese sellers on EBay as well

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone for the input and insights! I found the Holmes Hobbies videos you guys mentioned. Yeah, those are pretty helpful!

So I was leaning towards making the jump to brushless, thinking I could make an adapter for the battery to the ESC and keep my Traxxas connectors on my batteries, but... I think I'll have to stick with a brushed motor for now. Yesterday the faucet in my kitchen sink decided to do an impression of Old Faithful. Something cracked inside it and it just gave up the ghost finally. While replacing that, I found out I've had a leak (for some time, apparently) from my garbage disposal, and its actually the casing of the garbage disposal that cracked. Instead of buying something new and cool for my TRX-4 Bronco, I'm buying crap for my sink. Oh well. lol

I might try the Holmes Hobbies brushed, just for comparison, or I might throw a Traxxas stock back in there.

Hopefully there will be another bonus check next quarter, and maybe I'll make the jump then.

I still have more to install on the Bronco, but if the weather warms up enough over the next couple of weeks, maybe I'll get the final stuff painted and get some photos of the "finished" product for my other thread, covering the build of the Bronco. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Traxxas batts have to keep the connector as it has the balance tabs in it.i made a adapter for charging and running as I use xt60 connecters on everything else I run

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried