RC Competitor

Cut up trenchers

2.8 trenchers on 3.8 revolvers

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I was just about to do this but with different style rim. They good?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    worked very well im pleaseed with it

Sent from my HP Chromebook x360 11 G1 EE using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by illiniharrison View Post
    I was just about to do this but with different style rim. They good?

what rim are thinking of using

RC Racer
    3.8 or 3.2?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    3.8 or 3.2?
    3.8 i believe

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you for the great idea. I have trenchers on rims with stripped hexes. Now I have another project. Care to share any tips for cutting and gluing.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Thank you for the great idea. I have trenchers on rims with stripped hexes. Now I have another project. Care to share any tips for cutting and gluing.
    YouTube has a couple great videos. They look bad ***. Very easy. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel wobble cut the rim

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíll check them out. Just got Green Rustler 4X4 wheels(3.8 17mm) and Ive got 2 out of 4 tires off the desperado wheels.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    3.8 or 3.2?
    That's where I was at also. I have Desperado 3.8 and trencher 2.8 sitting here with that plan but was just scared to stretch it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by illiniharrison View Post
    That's where I was at also. I have Desperado 3.8 and trencher 2.8 sitting here with that plan but was just scared to stretch it

its very easy jus do it watch youtube couple videos gave me great instructions

You are cutting the rims, right? Whatever you did, they look sick!
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    Rims and tires wish I took before and after pics

Ok, so both. I wonder if that would work with 2.2 trenchers and 2.4 rims very well. I shall research this!
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    Do u by chance have them laying around

No, I am looking at wheels/rims to buy while waiting for funds. I think I'd have to go with 2.6 rims, because there aren't very many 2.4s out there. This is what I found: Rims
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    I like those. You are putting trenchers on this what size

If i get them, i'd get 2.2 trenchers and those 2.6 rims and cut them down. I need them to first a mini summit, so they gotta be 2.2 tires. The only problem is, it's $80 for 4 complete tires .

If 2.8 trenchers work on 3.8 revolvers, then 2.2 trenchers should work on 3.2 revolvers, right?
    I like free stuff!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hereís how mine turned out. Not bad. Loving the green rims.

Thanks again for reminding me that RC wheels are cheap and I already had tires that needed a purpose.

RC Competitor
    Hereís how mine turned out. Not bad. Loving the green rims.

Thanks again for reminding me that RC wheels are cheap and I already had tires that needed a purpose.
    What size are those

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymikes View Post
    What size are those

3.8. Theyíre wheels for the Rustler 4x4.

RC Competitor
    3.8. They’re wheels for the Rustler 4x4.
    Where did you find 3.8" Rustler 4x4 wheels?!?
    I quit using auto-correct. It's changed everythong

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSlashRacer View Post
    Where did you find 3.8" Rustler 4x4 wheels?!?
    eBay. Itís a Traxxas part. Theyíre actually listed as Erevo 2.0 wheels. My bad. Either way Iím digging the look. Havenít driven it with them on.

RC Competitor
    eBay. It’s a Traxxas part. They’re actually listed as Erevo 2.0 wheels. My bad. Either way I’m digging the look. Haven’t driven it with them on.
    My buddy has a set of 2.8" badland mx28s that have stripped hexes, would this be a good idea for him? Is it hard to do properly?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSlashRacer View Post
    My buddy has a set of 2.8" badland mx28s that have stripped hexes, would this be a good idea for him? Is it hard to do properly?
    Same problem I had. No itís not hard. However I havenít driven mine yet. I just got the other two wheels in the mail today. So Iíll reserve my opinions for later.

RC Competitor
    Same problem I had. No itís not hard. However I havenít driven mine yet. I just got the other two wheels in the mail today. So Iíll reserve my opinions for later.
    i think its goin to perform alot better lol

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a set of 3.2" with 2.8" trenchers... but no way would I do that 3.8... not nearly enough sidewall for the jumping I do. I learned my lesson with the SRC wheels on my erbe. Man that thing landed so hard... broke 2 of the 4 rims after a short life. Total waste of $100+ on those wheels/tires. lol!

How do you cut the tire properly? I'd be afraid of ending up with it out of round. Which you could live with maybe on 2S, but not 3S. Would be like having water in the tires permanently.

I have a set of 2.8" trenchers on 12mm wheels as I just swapped to 17mm hubs... hm... perhaps I'll have to look into how to cut them up for 3.2" rims.

Guessing you would go with some typical RPM widemaxx rims, right? With the old MT style channels in them? Do you cut the outer channel off and glue the face of the sidewall to the rim? Just stretch the foams?
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 03-25-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I wouldn't turn my nose up at a set of 3.2" with 2.8" trenchers... but no way would I do that 3.8... not nearly enough sidewall for the jumping I do. I learned my lesson with the SRC wheels on my erbe. Man that thing landed so hard... broke 2 of the 4 rims after a short life. Total waste of $100+ on those wheels/tires. lol!

How do you cut the tire properly? I'd be afraid of ending up with it out of round. Which you could live with maybe on 2S, but not 3S. Would be like having water in the tires permanently.

I have a set of 2.8" trenchers on 12mm wheels as I just swapped to 17mm hubs... hm... perhaps I'll have to look into how to cut them up for 3.2" rims.

Guessing you would go with some typical RPM widemaxx rims, right? With the old MT style channels in them? Do you cut the outer channel off and glue the face of the sidewall to the rim? Just stretch the foams?
    Yeah. I havenít driven it like that yet. Got Badlands on F11ís for bashing. I like the look. My investment is 20 bucks. So well worth it to me.

RC Racer
    I think there's been a bit of confusion here. The wheels in the first post are RPM Revolvers in 3.2" size, not 3.8. The 2.8" tires will stretch over a 3.2" wheel quite easily; I just did a DIY article about this recently myself. The 3.8's would be nearly impossible to stretch a 2.8" tire over as there wouldn't be enough sidewall to both stretch over the diameter of the rim and reach both beads of the much wider wheel. 3.2's will stretch over 3.8's but that is about as small as you can go tire-wise with that large of a wheel. The green wheels above are 2.8" All-stars from a Rustler, not 3.8's as stated. Tossing around all of the numbers can get confusing so it is easy to get mixed-up sometimes. I hope this helps.
    Insert witty retort here...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoracer View Post
    I think there's been a bit of confusion here. The wheels in the first post are RPM Revolvers in 3.2" size, not 3.8. The 2.8" tires will stretch over a 3.2" wheel quite easily; I just did a DIY article about this recently myself. The 3.8's would be nearly impossible to stretch a 2.8" tire over as there wouldn't be enough sidewall to both stretch over the diameter of the rim and reach both beads of the much wider wheel. 3.2's will stretch over 3.8's but that is about as small as you can go tire-wise with that large of a wheel. The green wheels above are 2.8" All-stars from a Rustler, not 3.8's as stated. Tossing around all of the numbers can get confusing so it is easy to get mixed-up sometimes. I hope this helps.
    I believe the green wheels are actually 3.8" green E-revo 2.0 wheels. The part number is 8671G. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8671G

RC Racer
    You know, I see it now. I didn't see the 6th spoke in the picture. My apologies.

Actually it looks like they are the accessory wheels for the Rustler 4x4 that are included in part number 6773G. The Revo wheels would be way too large, although the design is very similar. I was unaware that Traxxas was offering wheels in green so that threw me off a bit, along with the fact that the wheel design was obscured in the photo slightly. They are standard 2.8's and will fit the Trenchers without cutting.

Alot of confusing, misinformation in this thread. Grip used 3.8s for the erevo. I can tell by looking at them. I like the way they look. Do they clear everything? I put 3.8 shockwaves on my slash 4x4 just to see if they cleared for another forum member and they were surprisingly close. I have extensions and protrac kit on that truck so it's extra wide, only reason it worked. It actually handled and drove pretty nice. Curious how they would fare on that short wheel base. I think it would be pretty stable, definitely won't have much ballooning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Alot of confusing, misinformation in this thread. Grip used 3.8s for the erevo. I can tell by looking at them. I like the way they look. Do they clear everything? I put 3.8 shockwaves on my slash 4x4 just to see if they cleared for another forum member and they were surprisingly close. I have extensions and protrac kit on that truck so it's extra wide, only reason it worked. It actually handled and drove pretty nice. Curious how they would fare on that short wheel base. I think it would be pretty stable, definitely won't have much ballooning.

Since the X-maxx stole my attention Iíve continued to build the Rustler and P4de, but they donít see much drive time. I need to run the Rustler and get some new PBís. The P4de Iíll get out soon with those wheels and report back. Time is short during the summer for me, with work, and family. Debating taking the P4de to the beach in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the X-maxx stole my attention Iíve continued to build the Rustler and P4de, but they donít see much drive time. I need to run the Rustler and get some new PBís. The P4de Iíll get out soon with those wheels and report back. Time is short during the summer for me, with work, and family. Debating taking the P4de to the beach in July.

No worries, I hear ya on the availability of free time. I just recently buttoned up the xmaxx so I am back to other projects too. I think they'll be pretty sweet.

RC Racer
    Now that I am on the PC and not my phone I see the 17mm hexes on those wheels and I apologize. I mocked up a Revo wheel on my P4de and it looked way out of scale and didn't look good at all. I just couldn't imagine a 2.8" tire being able to stretch enough to cover the 3.8" rim diameter and the wider width at the same time. I am a big enough person to admit that I was wrong. Next time I'll pull things up on the larger screen before posting so that I can better see what's going on.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoracer View Post
    Now that I am on the PC and not my phone I see the 17mm hexes on those wheels and I apologize. I mocked up a Revo wheel on my P4de and it looked way out of scale and didn't look good at all. I just couldn't imagine a 2.8" tire being able to stretch enough to cover the 3.8" rim diameter and the wider width at the same time. I am a big enough person to admit that I was wrong. Next time I'll pull things up on the larger screen before posting so that I can better see what's going on.
    Itís all good man. I lost this thread for a bit. Iíve done the same thing. I am the one that said they were from a Rustler 4x4 initially