RC Competitor

Lightbulb I Just Had a WONDERFUL Idea!!

Some people want a new boat...
    Some people want a new plane...
    I want a floatplane!!!

Of course, it would need to be convertible to a regular aeroplane so I could use it in my yard, and for ease of use, preferably around 300-400 mm long, so it could be used in light wind, but have good run times and power on 1S. Maybe it would be a LaTrax due to the size. Props on the pontoons for water use, and be able to turn off the props for air use. 3 or four channel, I don't care, but 4 channel is more versatile. I would totally buy this at a reasonable price, and maybe a somewhat unreasonable one as well!!!

Do you fly a plane at all? Mine are all around 500mm - 550mm. Smaller than that will not handle any wind, especially on 1S power, even worse with (heavy) motors in the pontoons.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Sorry, I forgot to check this thread.
    My wltoys f949 is 284mm and flies reasonably well in 5mph wind with 10mph gusts.

From a review:
    Tommy tests the RC Airplane Cessna 182 (F949). The airplane is small and best suited for use outdoor with no wind or indoor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    From a review:
    Huh. Odd. I guess I have a weird one...
    I only have owned the one plane, so I don't know very much. This just sounded like a wonderful idea, and 1S is much less expensive than 2 or 3S batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    Huh. Odd. I guess I have a weird one...
    I only have owned the one plane, so I don't know very much. This just sounded like a wonderful idea, and 1S is much less expensive than 2 or 3S batteries.
    I suppose it all depends on a number of factors. Wind knocks these little guys around a lot. Another review shows that plane being flown in wind I would not dare. (Im not a great pilot.) It crashes three times during the video, but seems to survive. I like a smooth flying experience without the choppiness that wind necessitates. Crow attacks are more than enough for my skills to deal with, so Im grounded when it gusts.

RC Qualifier
    I was just telling my son on a walk home from school about this topic. His question was "hey dad wouldn't be cool to have a car that is also a boat and a plane." I explained how a great off-road truck cannot also be a great on-road race car. Same with any other combination of flying or floating. You can absolutely do multiple things, but it wont be great at any of them. (probably just barely OK at best)

-Liberty

RC Competitor
    Just googled wltoys 949. I am blown away by the existence of this. Many years ago my dad and I built an RC plane. We tried to do it as inexpensively as possible, using a relatively inexpensive kit (Goldberg Eaglet). By the time we were done we probably had spent close to 20x the cost of this. Incredible.