RC Enthusiast

Interesting and sad X-Maxx story.

First thing, I lurked here for a few months before buying my first real RC truck (an X-Maxx 8S).

Initially had a lot of fun, successfully running through a few batteries. Then I began having weird issues with the truck (truck wouldn't go forward/reverse; truck would turn on its on; truck would drive in reverse while activating the steering on the transmitter). Note that everything (batteries, chargers, parts) were Traxxas brand and original to the truck.

Scoured these forums (you guys are great); scoured the web and found nothing that would help.

Took my truck back to the hobby store where I had purchased the truck (on the 2 week anniversary of buying the thing). Guy at the shop plugs in two new batteries, initiates the steering a couple of times and poof a plume of smoke rises from the ESC. Immediately followed by flames shooting 6-8" up in the air. I immediately bolted for the exit thinking that one of the LiPo's had gone up. Other customers were running, employees were yelling for fire extinguishers, etc... Fortunately it was over almost as quickly as it started...

Nonetheless, Traxxas is replacing every part that was damaged (ESC, a LiPo that was damaged in the fire, etc.).
    Ever heard of this happening???

Rarer with 8s ESC but yes.
    The Super Derecho

I have heard others that have had this happen to them. Traxxas has great support though. That is why I used their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6 X-MAXX's total one built from ground up 3 8s!!!

RC Competitor
    Just happened to me. I am waiting on a new esc and motor and a set of batteries from traxxas. I hope they will arrive this week. I have to hand it to traxxas they stepped right up and are taking care of me

So very true. ^^^

6 X-MAXX's total one built from ground up 3 8s!!!

RC Champion
    I think over the last few years the quality of traxxas electronics has severely dropped. The original motor in my summit lasted through years of abuse. The next 3 replacements barely lasted 1 run before they went up in smoke

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Traxxas does have great tech support! Great! I'm surprised though they didn't offer to simply give you a new one instead of "replacing every part that was damaged" and have the hobby shop send back your old one. Who's to say there aren't more damaged parts found or affected later? Just odd they would try to figure out which parts were scorched by fire and not just comp you for a new X-Maxx.

Is this why a new ESC firmware update was made recently? To address later builds? My ESC was giving me problems and Traxxas replaced it free of charge! They even paid for me shipping my truck to them. My ESC will still glitch once in a while but nothing like before. Seems their electronics are not the most reliable but if it's not tech support will fix it...that I'm confident about.

I don't think I've experienced better tech support from a company than from Traxxas and Horizon Hobby btw. That's been my experience so far. They just flat out get it! Meet and exceed customer's expectations all the way!

RC Qualifier
    A lot and the bad thing is there is only a 30 day warranty

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    Traxxas does have great tech support! Great! I'm surprised though they didn't offer to simply give you a new one instead of "replacing every part that was damaged" and have the hobby shop send back your old one. Who's to say there aren't more damaged parts found or affected later? Just odd they would try to figure out which parts were scorched by fire and not just comp you for a new X-Maxx.

Is this why a new ESC firmware update was made recently? To address later builds? My ESC was giving me problems and Traxxas replaced it free of charge! They even paid for me shipping my truck to them. My ESC will still glitch once in a while but nothing like before. Seems their electronics are not the most reliable but if it's not tech support will fix it...that I'm confident about.

I don't think I've experienced better tech support from a company than from Traxxas and Horizon Hobby btw. That's been my experience so far. They just flat out get it! Meet and exceed customer's expectations all the way!
    Nickerz, Traxxas did offer for me to send my truck in but I refused... Hopefully I don't regret that decision. Nonetheless, I completely agree that their support is awesome! My gut tells me that they overshot the weight and speed on this thing with 4s since mine has been "in the shop" more than it's been running.