Truck shutting off mid runs?

So busted out my brand new Erevo 2.0 today. Noticed a couple times truck acted like it lost range but was only 100 feet away. Well on full 3s packs after turning around from a high speed pass, coming back nice and slow and truck just shut off. No power to anything. Truck slow coasted into a pole...lol. walked over motor temp was 110* esc was about 95* and sure enough it was off. Pushed the esc button and came right back to life! Any ideas. Truck is brand new only run 2 full sets a batteries through it.

RC Qualifier
    Can be bad battery connection. Bad batteries. Check battery and esc connection.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Can be bad battery connection. Bad batteries. Check battery and esc connection.

Thanks for the reply! All connections rock solid...Brand new SMC 7200 3s lipos. Nothing lose or wiggling. Was running the truck on smooth pavement not even bashing at all...super weird. Just don't want it losing power at speed.

RC Qualifier
    That's odd. My guess is bad battery connection. No power to anything. Means loosing a battery connection...

From my experience. I had adapters from batteries to the erevo 2.0 connectors. There was enough play that after a hard landing it would break connection. I walk over turn it on and play again. I ended up removing the adapters. And soldering on trx connectors to batteries.

I think above issue was also removing zip tie to connectors to put on shock brace and not rezip tieing right again after. When I made wires more firm this issue went away.

I've also had issues with the battery connectors getting hot enough. It melts the plastic for the connectors to the battery leads. And melt the solder off my esc connection.

Also had a battery lead pull out of the connectors as well. But I think more due to soldering the connector wrong.

I would really check battery connection leads. Look of any sign of melting, pitting so on. Even if they feel connected there could be just enough slop they disconnect for a second to turn right off.

Turn car on and giggle wires good. See what makes it turn off...

RC Qualifier
    Also check the power button. Not sure if it still happens but the old vxl ESCís has a sticky button issue from time to time. And as said check all your connections.

Thanks guys. Ill power it on and wiggle everything real good after work. Im running the stock ESC Traxxas connectors w soldered Traxxas connectors on my batteries so no adapters there. Im wondering if the issue is the ESC. It has a really weird issue where it doesnt like to turn off at the button. The manual says to push the button to turn on and push to turn off. Well a lot of times ill push the button to shut it off and it makes everything flash in sequence, like it is just doing a super fast reset to the ESC. I have to push it upwards of 5-7 times sometimes to get the truck to shut off. Its super weird. I read on another section of our forum this has happened to others with this ESC and no one is sure why. Wonder if I got an issue there?

RC Racer
    This happened to me on my BRAND NEW 2.0... luckily I have an ERBE so I threw in my MXL-6s.. this happened on a speed run and ran into neighbors yard decorations..

I was told the same thing you are and everything was fine. Also never had an issue since.

I am thinking its the ESC. I read on another thread a truck doing the same thing as well... that person mentioned the truck random braking as well...and now that I think about it...twice my truck did that. I was accelerating and it nosed down hard for a split second then continued. I live in a neighborhood where lots of curious lil ones come out to watch us run our RC cars/trucks. Last thing I need is to be at speed on our big open straight away and have it shut down and hit a lil one..property damage would be bad enough let alone hitting a kiddo. Ill be calling Traxxas shortly to see about replacing the ESC.

Well Traxxas wants me to send in my motor, ESC, and receiver so they can test all components and see what is failing. So ill be tearing apart my brand new truck to send in all electronics....frustrating, but I'd rather be safe then sorry and hurt someone or something. Also I was informed not to follow the manual for powering down at the ESC. They stated that I need to just unplug the batteries as others have suggested.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 03-07-2019 at 10:50 AM.

RC Racer
    Mine had the same issue. It was was where the esc connects to the motor. Felt tight but on a hard landing it was just loose enough to lose connection. Pulled the connection apart and used a small Phillips to spread out the male end of the connector. My problem was solved after that.

Makes sense tankinfrank...however I've never even jumped this thing..just speed passes up and down the road. Never even seen dirt yet. Also mine shuts the whole truck down at the esc...not just the motor...Ill probably just bite the bullet under warranty and send it all in to ensure no issue.

Well pulled her apart and motor, ESC and receiver are off to Traxxas. Here is too a quick turn around...fingers crossed. Ill post what the findings are when they get back to me. Thanks everyone!

The results are in! Traxxas fully took care of me. It turns out ESC was bad. Traxxas sent me a brand new ESC. They also to be safe, sent me a brand new motor and a brand new receiver. (Keep in mind, I sent all that in as well). All arrived today in brand new packages. By time UPS got here was getting dark. But I was able to get everything back in and get a few runs in. Honestly truck feels MUCH more fluid and responsive and no hick ups, jerking, odd intermittent braking or cutting out. I only got about 20 mins of run time in tonight but so far all is good! Really feels good to buy from a company that cares, has excellent communication and takes care of their customers. Also 100% confirmed and even stated on the red tag on the ESC, to power down the Vxl-6s...just unplug the batteries. Don't even bother trying to shut off at the switch. I plan on getting runs in tomorrow and will update everyone in the evening! Thanks everyone for their input and thank and you Traxxas!

RC Qualifier
    Glad that fixed your issues and Traxxas took care of you!

Well ran the truck today and I am back right at square one! Truck intermittently not responding, truck hit the brakes twice for zero reason and at lil over half throttle.. esc powered down and truck launched off the rounded curb into the neighbor's yard. Called Traxxas...they are blaming it on the SMC 7200S and stating that they don't recommend running any other packs but Traxxas and they cant do anything further for me. So I fired up the truck in my garage...shook the living crud out of it...the connections to the batteries and the connections at the ESC. Like man handled them.....not one connection loss or glitch. So i highly doubt its the batteries and the connections to the unapproved Traxxas batteries. So now what do I do?

Got a buddy bringing over some Traxxas packs later today. Im gonna run those and see what happens. Also when I pulled my batteries to check them...the low voltage cut off which is set and confirmed to be set never kicked in and one of my packs has cells that dropped below 3v. Im super disappointed. Spent alot of money on my set up and have not even got 2 hours of run time on it. Hoping it didnt toast my pack as well.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 03-19-2019 at 03:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Perhaps try to borrow a friend's battery pack and see if it will do the same thing. With those batteries. At which point you know if batteries or not....

Well took it out to our local rc airfield. Wanted plenty of room in case we had any issues. Ran a set of Traxxas 3s packs borrowed from a buddy who met me at the field. Ran the truck and 5 mins in....started braking while accelerating. Did it once hard, then 2 quick ones. This was while pulling the trigger to accelerate. Then a short bit later. Wide open straight down the runway...esc shut off...again. Plenty of runway and dirt after and thank heavens it failed going straight. Truck coasted all the way down the runway...then bounced around the dirt til truck rolled to a stop. My buddy recommended. We put a lipo monitor on his packs incase the low voltage kick down failed. When the ESC shut off...both truck packs were at 11.9v. This run the esc kicked into low volatage with the cells right around 3.59 each on the drivers side pack and the cells at 3.50 on the passanger side pack. Had the full SMC packs w me ran them as well. Sure enough same issue. Truck had a VERY hard brake under acceleration...almost nosed over the truck. Then a short bit later...about 3/4 throttle ESC shut off again. He has a ton of RC experience and I am by no means a novice...this all has tell tale signs of a bad ESC. Im gonna call Traxxas again tomorrow since I was able to test it on a set of their name brand packs and experienced the same issue. Really bummed out over this one...just wanna be able to run my beast and know its not gonna fail and hurt someone or something. Sadly...if I cant get this fixed...ill probably have to go Castle which sucks because I bought the module for my transmitter...still new in box to run the Traxxas app...open to ideas fellas on this issue! Will keep everyone posted.

Also to clarify...we put the voltage readers on my SMCs. We couldn't run them on the Traxxas packs due to not having a balancing port. Realized in my hast of reply that I miss spoke so I wanted to clarify and correct as not to confuse.

RC Qualifier
    I run the MM2 and CC 2200kv with the Traxxas app and the blue tooth module with no problems in my Emaxx so I'm not sure which one your looking at but it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I run the MM2 and CC 2200kv with the Traxxas app and the blue tooth module with no problems in my Emaxx so I'm not sure which one your looking at but it does work.
    Oh gotcha! Ill prob just have to get the sensors is all then. I thought ditching the ESC would eliminate that ability to run it...forgot just will need the sensors. Thanks for that! I honestly just wanna safely be able to run this beast.

Anyone have any ideas for me what else to try?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Oh gotcha! Ill prob just have to get the sensors is all then. I thought ditching the ESC would eliminate that ability to run it...forgot just will need the sensors. Thanks for that! I honestly just wanna safely be able to run this beast.

Anyone have any ideas for me what else to try?
    Yes just add the sensors you want rpm(6520) telemetry trigger magnet(6538) temp and volts(6521) motor temp holder(6535) power tap for the volt plug(6541) or just solder a connector to the pos. batt wire instead of the power tap. I hope this helps. If you have a friend with an esc you can swap to try that's what I would suggest. All the stuff was replaced so I'm stumped, it could be a 2nd faulty esc but without replacing each one again one at a time it's not like you have any options.
    Have you tried a second tx or tried a factory reset for your tx.
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 03-20-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks Rain Dawg. I have not factory reset my TX yet. Ill try that tomorrow. No one has an ESC big enough to swap here. And my local Hobby Shop is a 3.5 hour drive each way. My buddy has a Rustler VXL-3s but he ditched his Tx and went with a Futaba set up he has all his cars on. Unfortunately he sold his tx and rx. Ill see what the factory reset of the Tx does. That could impact the weird quick brake issue while accelerating. But I find it not probable to shut off the esc. I do appreciate the advice!

RC Qualifier
    I'm kind of leaning towards maybe a faulty tx and the signal maybe not getting through or something along those lines. If they replaced everything and it still does the signal loss I would try another tx before I replaced anything else, it's the easiest and cheapest fix or avenue to try.
    I ordered from this place quite a few times with no issues. It's worth a try worst case scenario you have a spare lol.
    http://www.ebaystores.ca/jennysrcsports
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3ch-Bluetoot...item5b137592c0
    This one comes with a receiver.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/X-MAXX-RADIO...item56855f7ad7
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Traxxas-Radi...item4d382f5c51

RC Qualifier
    One question are you sure it was a new esc they sent you, or possibly did they just send you back the old one?

If you pull spur gear. And move the truck around to check for any binding in drive train. Doubt you have this but possibly something is in drive train and catching. Or a pin not right.. No idea if Esc has any programming to turn off if it detects a major bind..

While spur gear out you can run motor and see what combos may trigger your issue while rig is on the work bench. Without worry of rig running away.

Should be able to find a combo that makes it shut off...

My motor will stutter make odd noises at a only certain rpm. About 70 to 80% throttle. Probably bearings in motor.

To me I'd be calling Traxxas for another replacement. My guess is esc is bad... Could be a bad manufacturing batch as well....

Oh do you have tsm off? Could be some odd issue with tsm...

Acidic01- Traxxas said it was a new ESC. It came in a new box and was sealed and serial number is for sure different. The upc code on the box is covered up w a label that reads "Service Only ESC VXL6s". I have my TSM set to very low, about 20%. Im gonna go back to the airfield in a bit and run it again today after factory resetting the TX. Ill turn TSM off completely and see what it does. Post that ill try the bench test as you recommend.

Oh yeah...checked everything over when esc and motor were sent out first time and truck was in roller condition. No issues w any binding...nice and smooth.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 03-20-2019 at 11:45 AM.

RC poster
    I have the same issue with my rustler vxl. Only on 3s lipo made by venom with the universal adapters. My truck is only 2 weeks old. Such a bummer. Let me know when you get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjer View Post
    I have the same issue with my rustler vxl. Only on 3s lipo made by venom with the universal adapters. My truck is only 2 weeks old. Such a bummer. Let me know when you get it fixed.
    Man..that is weird. Same issues w intermittent braking and with truck shutting off? What battery ends do you have? You mentioned universal adapters, are you running an adapter between your battery amd esc? On the SMC packs I have what I guess is considered aftermarket or generic Traxxas plugs directly on my packs as Traxxas no longer sells to third party or connectors by themselves. If you can do like I did and find a buddy w Traxxas packs and run it to see if it does the same. Im charging packs now to go to the airfield and will have todays info posted soon!

Sorry my phone duplicated my last post...

RC Qualifier
    you should hook up the blue tooth module and run updates on the esc and receiver

Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    you should hook up the blue tooth module and run updates on the esc and receiver
    Thanks Billy..will be doing that tonight. Took it out today to the runway...multiple random brakes incidents followed by truck shutting off mid run on 4 occasions. Called Traxxas they want me to send entire truck in for a full run through. So I pulled off my GRP wheels and tires...put on my stock wheels and tires took my 7200s out fully charged and went back to the run way just to see what she would do on the stock wheels and tires...not even kidding...NOT ONE ISSUE! No weird brakes applying....not a single shut off! What is the possibility that these hard street compound GRP 1/5th wheels and tires caused all of this? I ran the truck with them on and they are pretty far out of balance...at full speed shaking truck like no tomorrow on the bench...are u kidding me...was this seriously the entire issue? Im gonna put it through the paces some more and will update!

Hooked up bluetooth last night. Sure enough...there was updates for my esc, receiver and TX. Ran the truck again w the stock wheels and again....not one single issue. Im dumbfounded...who would have remotely thought those GRPs being out of balance at speed would shake the esc hard enough to cause the issues. All connections are rock solid....so im thinking the speed and aggressiveness of the vibration was causing the esc to fail and act up. Traxxas told me that if the truck has power and the esc is on and it senses a loss of signal it will apply brakes...when these GRPs hook w the wheelie bar down there is a lot being pushed into the truck, so guessing the shaking was causing the truck to intermittently lose signal. So I guess until I can find a solid way to balance these GRP wheels tires ill be running stocks. Im gonna drop the gearing back to 18/46 as running 20/46 on these big stock wheels is putting a lot of heat into the esc and motor.

RC Qualifier
    I've had unbalanced tires shake my battery connectors enough truck looses power. I really dislike the any adapters on my battery packs as has only given me issues. Even after market traxxas connectors, have given me issues with poor connection. I've yet to figure out what connector style I should change to...

Glad you seem to have found what is causing your issue.

Double check your antenna connection to receiver. And check with for breakage. The vibration could of been making it loose signal to tx. If Esc is made to brake on rx / tx connection loss then that would be a good indicator on why your truck would brake randomly.

For fixing your street tires.. some vids out there on getting ca glue removed to then remount tires. Best I way I saw was acetone in a bucket with tires in. And a lid on top and leave it for a few hours to a day...

I covered the breather holes on all my tires. After getting sand and silt in 2 sets of mine rendering them junk. Been doing well on my Badlands.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Hooked up bluetooth last night. Sure enough...there was updates for my esc, receiver and TX. Ran the truck again w the stock wheels and again....not one single issue. Im dumbfounded...who would have remotely thought those GRPs being out of balance at speed would shake the esc hard enough to cause the issues. All connections are rock solid....so im thinking the speed and aggressiveness of the vibration was causing the esc to fail and act up. Traxxas told me that if the truck has power and the esc is on and it senses a loss of signal it will apply brakes...when these GRPs hook w the wheelie bar down there is a lot being pushed into the truck, so guessing the shaking was causing the truck to intermittently lose signal. So I guess until I can find a solid way to balance these GRP wheels tires ill be running stocks. Im gonna drop the gearing back to 18/46 as running 20/46 on these big stock wheels is putting a lot of heat into the esc and motor.
    Dang! Thats crazy man. Who would have thought? Obviously not me or you... Its good though that you solved the issue!
    I like free stuff!

RC Enthusiast
    Deans make the best contact, traxxas connectors are poop in design

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alright friends...the final update. I got a Hudy Balancer and Dynamite balancing tape and spent about an hour and a half ensuring the GRPs were 100% balanced. Ran the truck on the bench with the GRPs...truck started the same old braking for a millisecond...then after a bit longer...esc shut off. Well I figured...lets just get some fresh charged packs and give her a run...well first pass at speed...truck shut off...turned it back on and tried to run it back...made a pass...then at 1/2 throttle truck shut off. So I then used velcro tape and velcroed down my esc/battery wires while they are plugged in. Powered on the truck and ran it..it acted again like it was in low volatage which it clearly isnt. Only 50% throttle...drove it back and unplugged batteries, plugged back in and sure enough...full power. I just gave up and brought truck home. Ran it on the bench again...and it did the brake thing and then a moment later..powered off. I bit the bullet and I sent my truck in its complete state, 20/46 gearing, GRPs and everything else on it along with my transmitter all back to Traxxas. Traxxas even said they understand that there are aftermarket parts and we as RC'ers run stuff outside of their owned brand. So they wanted me to send it as is so the tech team can see how everything is working w the GRPs on for road racing. I guess I will see what they have to say. I hope they fix it. I have had the truck a month and I honestly have not even been able to run through a full set of packs through that I can think of, its had more bench time then driving and all my scrapped up skid plates, a arms and bumpers are only due to the truck shutting off, coasting and hitting things or ending up in the dirt. So here is to a solution from Traxxas.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 04-03-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Got my truck back from Traxxas. Verdict was "an issue with the ESC and motor". So both have been replaced, (third motor and ESC for this truck) set up by Traxxas, and firmware updated. Truck made it home to me Monday. I ran a full set of packs Monday, first time I was able to run a full set. Ran two full sets today as well. Praying I'm not jinxing it, but not a SINGLE issue with the truck. Did some road course stuff, speed runs and some basic mashing around. Very pleased. While it stunk to have these issues, Traxxas stood behind their product and took care of everything under warranty. Even took care of shipping the whole truck back in and back to me. So while there was clearly a bad batch of ESCs...they at least cared enough to make it right. I finally today can honestly say, I truly enjoyed running this beast. Thank you Traxxas!

RC Qualifier
    Glad to hear things got resolved. And your able to start having fun with it !