RC Enthusiast

stampede shock question

i recently purchased a brand new traxxas stampede and upon unboxing the front left shock tower was loose and shock oil drained out. i ordered a set of color match aluminum summit link shocks and they were leaking after the first run. any advice on a set of shocks thatll take abuse and last???
    2019 stampede vxl 4x4 3s lipo wicked fast

RC Qualifier
    GTR shocks for the Slash 4x4 Ultimate are great:

Front: https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=7461
    Rear: https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=7462

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks I'll look into those for sure.

This might help you look into them.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...a-Stampede-4x4

If you want to go with GTRs they are great. If you want to spend a bit less grab the aluminum shock caps for the stock ultra shocks and some new fluid.

Stock ultra shocks are good shocks with the aluminum caps. GTR shocks are better but why spend the money if not needed.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info. I love stock shocks so I'll pick up aluminum caps and fluid and run them till the wheels fall off haha

The alloy caps and new fluid will work ok, unless you like running heavier packs, then I'd suggest the GTR's.

I have the GTR's with VG springs, vdk kit with 1/16" drilled pistons and 60 wt. I also replaced the front shock ends with dubro monster ball ends after shaving the ball off the top to make them a few mm longer. It still bottoms out on the chassis, but the GTR's were a bit short in the front for my taste.

I run a 7200mah 3S SMC lipo (and a host of other things to deal with that). It does really well though. I was running the stock shocks with alloy caps, but couldn't get enough damping out of them for how I bash. I was running 70 or 80wt I think with some old green integy t-maxx springs I had which were quite a bit stiffer than stock.

The GTR's are a lot better.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    I am looking into gtr shocks for my stampede 4x4 and i noticed that the stock ultra shocks are rubbing slightly against my camber links and gtr shocks are larger so how would they fit does anyone know if they fit with heavily modifying? also what if you put xx long front and rear would be beneficial to car?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    I am looking into gtr shocks for my stampede 4x4 and i noticed that the stock ultra shocks are rubbing slightly against my camber links and gtr shocks are larger so how would they fit does anyone know if they fit with heavily modifying? also what if you put xx long front and rear would be beneficial to car?
    This link should help you: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...a-Stampede-4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the part, what do you think about the idea of having xx long gtr shocks all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    Thanks for the part, what do you think about the idea of having xx long gtr shocks all round.
    That is the reason I have done the JConcepts Monster Truck Conversion on my Slash 4x4. I also have to use a spacer to make them clear the camber link.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.