RC Competitor

Wondering about ESC cooling fan for E-Revo VXL 1/16

Hey there folks.

I've been having some fun with my new Mini-Me E-Revo these last few days. Now I'm thinking about a couple of upgrade parts and first on my list are a heat sink for the motor and would like to find a cooling fan for the ESC. I have the series and parallel connectors and will be playing with dual NiMh batts once the snow here is gone and I can take the truck to places where I can really stretch it's legs. I also may play around with LiPo a bit in the not too distant future as well

I see I can get a motor heat sink right from Traxxas for reasonable cost. But I don't see a cooling fan offered by Traxxas for the 1/16 ESC. Is it because these small models aren't as susceptible to over heating the ESC?? Can someone point me in the direction of an ESC fan that will work with the 1/16?

Thanks folks, your help and advice is appreciated

I am not sure, but I think this one will fit: FAN
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    Excellent, thank you!

RC Competitor
    Well, my Traxxas motor heat sink and Yeah Racing 25x25mm ESC cooling fan showed up today and I just finished installing them both. Heat sink was no issue, the fan however wasn't quite straight forward. I couldn't use the hardware provided with the fan to mount it to the ESC. All I could come up with was to zip tie the fan to the ESC and slide the fan/ESC as an assembly back into the ESC mounting slot. The ties did cause a little bit of a bend to the ceiling of the battery box but does not prevent or even make difficult the installation of the battery and closing the compartment door. I used small zip ties that would fit through the mounting screw holes on the fan housing, but they weren't long enough to go all the way around so I had to hook two together. Being that there isn't a ton of room between the ESC and motor, especially with the heat sink now on the motor, I had to position the zip tie locks so they would not push on the motor can once the ESC was fully seated in it's slot so as to close the battery compartment door.

I have a second NiMh battery and both dual battery harnesses and intend on using the dual battery setup in both configs depending on what kind of bashing around I want to do. This is why I wanted to install a cooling fan on the ESC. Only thing that remains to be seen is if the zip ties hold up to the heat of the ESC. If they don't, I'm not sure how else I would mount the fan, there just isn't alot of option on this little rig. Oh and the position in had to place the zip tie locks in also pushes the side of the body out a little bit as well.

I'll report back on how this setup works after I run it a bit. Might be a little while as we still have a fair bit of snow here and the places there isn't snow are quite wet and muddy

Yeah, all our snow is going fast. It's nice though because I don't have a fan so I just run it through some puddles and its all good! Can't wait for the ground to dry out though...
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    Yeah, been a long winter for sure! I work for the highway depart here in my town driving plow truck. Definitely been a good year for the bank account

RC Competitor
    I have looked for an ESC cooling fan for my MERV and I cannot find one that fits without some sort of issue. I did however find an electric cooling fan for the motor instead of a heatsink. It’s made by Integy. I’m not a big fan of them but the p/n that I got is C23141blue. Yes it is blue but that’s the main color scheme on my mini e-revo.