RC Competitor

Question Should I hold off installing the Sidewinder 8th until I have an aluminum motor mount?

Should I hold off installing the Sidewinder 8th until I have an aluminum motor mount?

I have the MIP X-duty driveshafts, the XO-1 I-bars (but not the diff cups), The Revo Slipper Clutch parts. I didn't get the Maxx disc pad, though its very cheap and will get one next month. I plan to get the Tekno Big Bone center shaft next month as well.. The clear plastic cover will not work right? I'd rather avoid getting it scratched up like the stock one is.

Gearing wise I have 18T and 24T pinions as well as the 54t spur and 50t spur. I intend to pick up a 20T and 22T pinion and probably a 26T. I have read posts where people talk about Spur gears in the 40T range but 50T is the lowest Traxxas makes I know of and couldn't find lower anywhere.

My other concern is I'm still running 12mm Hexes and would want to upgrade to 17mm. to avoid stripping wheel hubs from the increased power. The adapters don't have to be MIP brand, as long as they are compatible. Of course I will need new rims, possibly tires (fit compatibility)?

I have run 2.8 trenchers with 14T pinon and stock 54T Spur on the Velineon VXL-3s and ran into thermal shutdown in cool weather (low-mid 40's). I have 2 passive heat-sinks on the motor and of course the fan on the ESC. Yes, I do have a Temp gun but no I wasn't using it. I could comfortably touch the motor but the car got to acting so odd with steering an such I set everything to factory defaults. Things seemed fine except I started busting stock drive shafts (maybe because I had to tighten the slipper with its cracked pads). I had a replacement set. When I only had one replacement shaft left I decided it was time to use all my bags of parts and rebuild it from the ground up and haven't run it since.

That's when I realized I had made a few mistakes years ago, I had gotten the HCG aluminum motor mount and the 2wd aluminum C Hub Carriers. My funds are not what they use to be so I need to be careful.

I bought this car in the fall of 2015 and after a few months put it on a shelf after I couldn't even be bothered to rebuild the Slipper. Life and health got in the way but I have really enjoyed cleaning it up and wrenching again recently.

I can put the sidewinder 8th in the truck but I only own 3s lipos and given my current weak points maybe that's okay but as I understand it it doesn't really 'wake up' till 4s and I do not want to run 2 of my 3s in series both for breakage and that's just too much power to be reasonable or even fun (for me)

Shout out to OSU Beaver 99 who I spoke to a lot, El Sob, you don't even need a mention, nor you Squeegie but so many more and I'm sorry that I dont remember your names off hand. Tons of people helped me 3 years ago.

PS: how bad are the RPM arms flexing if you have MIP X-duty Shafts, GTR shocks and a stainless steel screw set? I keep hearing they can cause drive train damage, I assume mostly to the bearings.
    Last edited by opx123; 03-14-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Welcome back! You might as well just throw the motor system in. The thing to watch is the bearing adapter on the slipper clutch. It will melt if it is plastic! The arms that I recommend are the ones off of the new Ultimate edition or the Rustler 4x4. They have flex but not as much as the RPM arms.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    I guess I didn't mention that, I got the aluminum bearing adapter nearly first upgrade so that goes with my revo clutch that i haven't yet put together.

Yes I saw that the new rustler arms are the best way to go. I never broke a stock arm, but since i had the RPM and was upgrading i used those
    Last edited by opx123; 03-14-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Glad you got your rig off the shelf!

Some answers/comments:

You can keep the original motor mount.

Clear plastic cover is for the HCG and is not an option for the LCG chassis.

Wow! Still sitting on that 8th system? Run it!
    For gearing with my MMX 2200 system, I use 20/50 gearing. It gets me up to just over 40 MPH which is fine for bashing.

I would just stick with the stock a-arms (original or new), but since you already have the RPM's, might as well give them a try. When not in use, store the truck by the chassis, not sitting on the tires and flexing the a-arms.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 03-14-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Did not realize the clear plastic cover was for HCG only. I do want to protect the look of my new central drive shaft..to that end I have seen velcro (fuzzy side) mod to limit dust in and I realize with the Tekno shaft I have to grind down a little clearance down the center of the bulkhead.

I have Rit Dye as I cannot stand the grey chassis. I dont know how deep it penetrates so i assume i have to dremel the chassis for castle 2200kv motor first.

RC Competitor
    now i just need beaver to respond he mentioned a cheap metal gear swap for the stock servo but last i read he was having an issue with fit
    Last edited by opx123; 03-14-2019 at 07:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    so honestly is the metal motor mount not that important? I was looking at the Kinds Headz for 42 bucks, it has a larger bearing vs the others. I assumed it was a weak point if I left it stock plastic.
    Last edited by opx123; 03-14-2019 at 07:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    I have other concerns, like needing an external BEC to run lights and or the OBA as well as a higher speed/torque servo. I have the 3 channel OBA remote. I thought OBA was cool when i bought it but more ehh since, but it would work for turning on an off lights yeah?

I am trying to limit myself to 50 bucks a month in RC parts and upgrades. maybe 75, depends

I ran the stock motor mount for months before getting the metal one from HR without issue. I run the Castle 1512 2650kv with the MMX esc.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-14-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Brand correction

RC Competitor
    good to know, thankls

Quote Originally Posted by opx123 View Post
    so honestly is the metal motor mount not that important? I was looking at the Kinds Headz for 42 bucks, it has a larger bearing vs the others. I assumed it was a weak point if I left it stock plastic.
    I have the King Headz motor mount on all of my Ultimate edition trucks! It is a quality part and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quality direct replacement. The stock plastic motor mount should hold up until you can get the King Headz motor mount.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Both of my rigs have the King Headz motor mounts as well.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein