Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Long time hobbyist - Finally got my first Xmaxx! (Upgrade list)

Hey guys so I have been in the hobby for many years, I typically stay away from traxxas as they have not been reliable trucks/boats for me what so ever and in my opinion we’re very hard to work on and very costly to make them actually work efficiently so I gave up on traxxas for a long time.

The RC’s I own now-

-Thunder tiger MT4 G3 (Fully upgraded for bashing only)
    -Thunder tiger bushmaster buggy (Fully Upgraded for racing and bashing)
    -Tekno ET 48.3- Truggy (Fully upgraded for track racing)
    -Tekno EB 48.3- Buggy (Fully upgrades for track racing)
    -Proboat Impluse (Upgraded +6s)
    -DJI phantom 3 Pro (Fully upgraded with long range antenna/booster kit and external battery mod)

AND NOW I have an 8s-Xmaxx! I Told myself after my bad experience with traxxas in the very begging that I’d never own another traxxas again so I hope this wasn’t a mistake.

I purchased this truck after fully researching about it, watching many videos on builds/upgrades and bashing to see just how tough this thing actually was.

To my supersize this thing seems extremely tough and durable and since I always wanted a 1/5 scale I decided to take the dive!

Here is my upgrade list so far, (For you experienced guys who have owned xmaxxas please comment and let me know if I am forgetting anything major and if there is something on this list that you wouldn’t do yourself), my whole plan is to make this truck as tough and reliable as it can be.

UPGRADES:

-Max6 ESC
    -46T GDS spur gear
    -22T or 23T hardened pinion (Is this a good starting point for the 46T spur?)
    -Changing all connectors to XT150’s- (I run these in all my trucks and they can handle 150amps of current which is perfect for the Xmaxx) - I swear by these battery connectors.
    -RPM rear knuckles #81732 with larger inner diameter bearings -(Is there an upgraded knuckle for the front available?)
    -Traxxas 2085x Upgraded servo kit
    -2x packets of CEN GS025 front and rear pins so I can do all of the A-Arms
    -Russian body
    -2 part appoxy to fill bulkhead voids and steering post holes
    -Spray all my control arms + knuckles down with WD-40 and let soak over night (soften plastic)

Since this is the 8s Xmaxx I plan on running it with my 2x 50c 5000mah Gens Ace lipos In series. I will only be running it on Mostly 8s.

QUESTIONS:

-Is there anything special I should do to the diffs before I run it? Like possibly re-shimming them?

-What shock oil should I run? I heard that 50wt is a good place to start for all 4 shocks?

-What diff oils should I use? I was thinking 100k in front and rear and 500k in center diff?

-Is there ANYTHING else very important that I should know about before I run it for the first time? (As in things to watch out for such as, screws backing out, noises, ETC.)

All of your help is VERY appreciated! I plan on going over the entire truck before I take it for it’s first spin.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Double G; 03-19-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: banned brand name

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock diff fluid if you can call it that is 20mil. Iíd stick with that. Iím running 500k front and rear. 50wt front shocks with 1.4 springs. 60wt rear shocks 1.5 springs. Works well for my truck as itís 30lbs.

RC Qualifier
    Your starting pinion at 22t is on the high side. You start to hit heat issues at that gearing with everything else in stock

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    The stock diff fluid if you can call it that is 20mil. Iíd stick with that. Iím running 500k front and rear. 50wt front shocks with 1.4 springs. 60wt rear shocks 1.5 springs. Works well for my truck as itís 30lbs.
    Ok thanks,
    So your running 500k front and rear but what about your center diff? I was thinking going thicker in my diffs as well because of those huge tires. I feel like thicker diff fluid would help it put the power to the ground a bit better. What does traxxas use for stock diff fluid? Is it just a grease? If so im deffinelty changing it out.

What is the stock shock fluid? 30k? And what is the spring rate of the stock springs? I am going to be primarily bashing the truck but I will also be racing it up at an indoor track near me where they race xmaxes indoor so I deff donít wanna stiffen my suspension too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    Your starting pinion at 22t is on the high side. You start to hit heat issues at that gearing with everything else in stock

Your right, But I was planning only using the 22t pinion with the max 6 esc.. I feel the motor temps might be a little warm but should be manageable with the max 6.

As far as the stock electronics go, what would you say is the highest pinion I could use out of the box before I would run into heat issues?

Also guys I plan on using my Flysky controller with my new Xmaxx, I use my Flysky on all off my RC trucks so I will be tearing the stock traxxas rx out of it first thing..

I know I will prolly Loose the stability control right? Not that I care cuz Iíd prolly never use it anyways.. also I would be loosing the self rightening feature as well correct? Neither of these things would bother me if I lost them when swapping to a Flysky rx but Iím just curious if that will be the case when switching out the RX. I know my Flysky rx is a 3 channel so maybe I can still save one of those features?

Thanks
    Last edited by Double G; 03-18-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

RC poster
    I think everyone should ad LED lights to the list if they may do any night driving. They are dirt cheap ($4ish), and when the truck get far enough away you can tell which way it's facing. I love mine, simple red rear and white front. 4 of each color. Just a thought for you since you are doing work to it. I also hooked mine up with a rocker switch under the body placed in the top of the front bulkhead between the front shocks, looks nice and works great. I do not have opinions on the gears YET, as I have a 6S and have yet to break anything but a lower control arm when w 600 LB rock jumped out in front of me.

RC Enthusiast
    I recently did a full make over on my xmaxx. Only other thing I can see that I'd reccomend is get the proline bash body. The regular bodies look alot nicer but there quite thin. I hear alot of people busting bodies ect bashing which is to be expected so I save my custom painted bodies for show and speeding around and use my bash body for bashing. It's tough as nails. If your going to bash your good bodies make sure you reinforce the inside of them. Some use plaster tape and silicone I actually sprayed mine with truck bed liner in a spray can. Will help alot. Dont need to do that with bash body. Also make sure u get the washers for the body. Alot of times the screws pull thru on the body if you dont have them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote11p View Post
    I think everyone should ad LED lights to the list if they may do any night driving. They are dirt cheap ($4ish), and when the truck get far enough away you can tell which way it's facing. I love mine, simple red rear and white front. 4 of each color. Just a thought for you since you are doing work to it. I also hooked mine up with a rocker switch under the body placed in the top of the front bulkhead between the front shocks, looks nice and works great. I do not have opinions on the gears YET, as I have a 6S and have yet to break anything but a lower control arm when w 600 LB rock jumped out in front of me.
    Thanks man that’s a very good idea. Specially like you said they are very cheap. If I did them I would deffienlty put it on my 3rd channel of my Flysky remote.

And LOL “when a 600lb rock Junped our in front of me” .. made me laugh so hard lol.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyem high View Post
    I recently did a full make over on my xmaxx. Only other thing I can see that I'd reccomend is get the proline bash body. The regular bodies look alot nicer but there quite thin. I hear alot of people busting bodies ect bashing which is to be expected so I save my custom painted bodies for show and speeding around and use my bash body for bashing. It's tough as nails. If your going to bash your good bodies make sure you reinforce the inside of them. Some use plaster tape and silicone I actually sprayed mine with truck bed liner in a spray can. Will help alot. Dont need to do that with bash body. Also make sure u get the washers for the body. Alot of times the screws pull thru on the body if you dont have them.

I also planned to use drywall tape and shoegoo for the stock body but it is a snap on version Xmaxx so it’s kind of tough to even wanna bang the stock body up at all lol. Bed liner spray is another great idea, maybe I’ll try it. Iv also heard of people using flex shot by flex seal.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-18-2019 at 11:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    Ok guys so here is an update. I finally got my 8s snap on edition Xmaxx today, opened it up and was in complete AWE by the size and beautie of it

I quickly got to work, I swapped the battery treys around so they weee upside down to allow me to fit my dual 4s 5000mah gens ace lipo hard case packs, took the esc out and soldered on my xt150 connectors as well as adding my castle creations external BEC which is currently set to stock voltage but allows for 10amps of power to go to the servo which I feel it needs being as heavy as the truck is and how demanding the servo in the Xmaxx is. I also built my jumper wire that turns my 2x4s packs into 8s, then I ripped out the junk traxxas remote (hate that thing) And installed my super reliable Flysky c3 remote and RX.

Here is where the news goes bad... I calibrated my Flysky remote to my VXL 8s esc and it seemed to be working just fine.. until the moment I started turning the servo left and right and noticed that every once and awhile the truck will try to lunge forward or backward slightly ONLY when steering my servo left to right.. I played with all the settings on the esc and even recalibrated it per the instructions over and over again trying to fix the issue..

I have no idea what is causing this and it is a first for me.. as I said when I steer my servo left or right the vehicle will randomly jerk forward or backward.. it is totally random and happens at different times through the steering process.. sometimes itís aggressive and sometimes itís just like a twitch. I can see when it does try to jump forward or backward the green esc light turns off for a split second indicating that the throttle or reverse trigger was bumped or pushed but it indeed was NOT..

Anybody have ANY clue what this could be?? I sure hope this isnít the traxxas curse coming back to haunt me lol.

RC Qualifier
    Well, to start, you have a new radio setup with a new esc.
    Both are unproven...
    I assume the receiver you put in was new?
    Swap back to the Traxxas receiver. Don’t mount it, just tape it in place and see if the glitch is still there. If it is, then it’s most likely the ESC that is the issue. If not then it might be an issue with your new receiver.
    Do you see where I’m going? Process of elimination.

Try not running the second BEC. You might be getting a ground feedback loop that’s causing the glitch..
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grou..._(electricity)
    The current draw of the servo could be causing it.

RC Competitor
    Both are unproven...
    Swap back to the Traxxas receiver. Donít mount it, just tape it in place and see if the glitch is still there. If it is, then itís most likely the ESC that is the issue. If not then it might be an issue with your new receiver.
    Do you see where Iím going? Process of elimination.

Try not running the second BEC. You might be getting a ground feedback loop thatís causing the glitch..
    Yep this is exactly what I was planning to do, if it still does it wit a second rx then it has to be the esc.. I started thinking about it more as I went to sleep last night and I actually think the Flysky rx I had installed last night was actually a used one out of my boat which if it is it woulda had water damage cuz I do remeber having a rx that got water damaged but I thooght I tossed it.

I am starting to think that I never did throw it away and this may be the one I put in the Xmaxx last night.. itís giving the symptoms of a bad rx since the rx is what is in charge of the esc and servo and what they are suppose to be responding to.

I am going to take a good working Flysky rx out of one of my other trucks and pop it in and see what it does before Re-mounting everything.

As you said, If this fixes the issue then I know it was the rx.

Has anybody ever used an external BEC with the xmaxes stock servo before? I watch some videos on YouTube and it deffienlty looks like it made a big difference with the torque and speed of the stock servo.. I swear by these castle external BECís and I own 3 or 4 of them and have them in other trucks and they are a fantastic and cheap add-on. Just make sure you waterproof it like I do mine. My BEC is currently still at stock voltage so I will adjust it accordingly and see if it helps even more later tonight when I install the second rx to replace the bad rx

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I didn't see rpm rear carriers on your list. These are a must have.

Stock diffs are 50k rear, 30k front, 20 million center.

I run the stock diff oils. I did swap the front and rear diffs to put the thicker oil in front to get more steering. Try the stock oils with the front and rear diff swap. Mine gets the power down great. Grips truck is very heavy, with tons more power than stock and needs thicker oils than stock to handle the weight and power.

I limited my shock travel in conjunction with the thicker shock oil, heavier springs, and the diff swap and now it feels like I'm driving a big truggy instead of the stock clunky push handling traits

(Grip... Didn't insult your truck this time lol)
    Last edited by rag6; 03-19-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

I run the stock diff oils. I did swap the front and rear diffs to put the thicker oil in front to get more steering. Try the stock oils with the front and rear diff swap. Mine gets the power down great. Grips truck is very heavy, with tons more power than stock and needs thicker oils than stock to handle the weight and power.

I limited my shock travel in conjunction with the thicker shock oil, heavier springs, and the diff swap and now it feels like I'm driving a big truggy instead of the stock clunky push handling traits

If you look on my list again it is there, RPm rear knuckles I called it.. same difference of what your saying. I know these are a for sure must.

And that’s a good idea with the diffs.. yah oil should always be thinner in rear to give you better steering that’s for sure.. seems as tho traxxas set it up backwards lol.

What shock limiters did you use and where did you get them? Also you say you ran thicker shock oil.. why weight? I believe stock is 30wt but have heard people running 50wt with success.

RC Competitor
    Both are unproven...
    Swap back to the Traxxas receiver. Don’t mount it, just tape it in place and see if the glitch is still there. If it is, then it’s most likely the ESC that is the issue. If not then it might be an issue with your new receiver.

Try not running the second BEC. You might be getting a ground feedback loop that’s causing the glitch..

Ok guys here is the update. I got home from work today and immediately installed a good working Flysky RX out of one of my other trucks and guess what?! Same darn thing! So then I thought “well maybe the truck isn’t happy with the external castle BEC” so I removed the external BEC.. plugged it all in just like it was out of the box other than Using my own battery connectors and my own (good known) Flysky remote and receiver and yet it STILL is throttle twitching when I turn the tires left or right..

I knew for a fact when I purchased this truck that I would be needing a much better (max 6) esc but my god can the stock one really be junk right out of the box? What garbage!! Where is the quality control? I just wanted to run the stock esc for a month untill I had the money to purchase the max 6 but now I can’t even drive it.

So now I spent $1,000 on a truck I can’t use cuz the esc was junk out of the box.. a truck that I already planned on upgrading with in a month after I bought it knowing the stock electronics were junk and here I couldn’t even run the thing once before it crapped out on me.. wonderful.

Does anybody know If there is a main RESET on the VXL-8 esc? If not maybe I will pull the fuse and replace it just for giggles to see if that fixes the issue. At this point I have no where else to really go and don’t have another 1:5 esc just laying around to swap in it. I highly doubt the servo would be causing the esc to jump forward or reverse so it’s gotta be the esc that’s bad.

Very mad. But how can I be? I knew what I was getting into when I purchased a traxxas product again as you can read in my in my OP about the bad experiences I’ve had with traxxas.

My thoughts.. XMAXX- one of the only great trucks traxxas ever made, and other than their Veloneon motors the rest of their electronics are junk.

RC Competitor
    Just got off the phone phone with traxxas tech support as a last ditch effort.. of course the first thing they tell me is they will not warentee the ESC because it has modified battery connectors.. i told them that everybody that works for traxxas knows these ESC’s are garbage.. I said it’s all over the internet and anyone who’s ever owned a traxxas knows this.. they told me even tho they feel it’s a bad esc there is nothing they can do for me.

We went through all their calibrations.. they told me to install the original remote and rx because they said the vxl esc does NOT work well with any other transmitter.. they told me it won’t work with spectrum and some other main brands AT ALL.. so this gave me hope that if I installed the stock RX and remote it would work..

So as I said I installed all the stock equipment EXACTLY as it came out of the box other than my xt150 battery connectors and we re-programmed the remote/RX and ESC together over the phone and still it had the SAME exact problem. Every time I steer left or right the esc light twitches and the truck lunges forward/backward randomly..

They said “as of this time there is nothing else we can do for you, your best bet is to buy a new ESC” with my OWN money. That’s just what you wanna hear after spending 1k on a truck that you never even were able to run yet after only having it 2 days.

Traxxas is a joke and if it weren’t for the Xmaxx I would say never bought another one again. I just hopey max-6 ESC will arrive soon :/ SO disappointed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

I donít really take the fact my truck is heavier than yours as an insult. I think if you drove it youíd be a believer as well. Iím going to an atv Park tomorrow, Iíll have the fat girl and my P4de with me as well. Should get to air them out. Iíll have my GoPro with me. On to the topic, to the OP, Traxxas is not junk, much better than in the past. But the ESC thing does seem out of hand.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys so I found out that the issue was.. if you can Believe it or not the servo. After getting off the phone with traxxas and then telling me I had to buy a new esc cuz they weren’t gonna warentee it I did some more fiddling around with the truck and found that if I switched my servo out to one of my spare 1/8 servos the problem went away competely..

So evidently the bad servo was backfeeding into the RX and the RX was backfeeding into the ESC causing it to jump and lunge forward or backward. With my spare 1/8 servo plugged in the truck does not lunge forward or backward and it works perfectly fine.

I still don’t have much confidence in the esc tho as once and awhile the esc will trip a red light on and the red light will stay on for 30 seconds or so before going back out.. while the red light is on it will still act normal tho and then the light goes out.
    Also one time when I was doing my calibration for my throttle range the esc finished its calibration and shut off and then wouldn’t restart.. I had to unplug the lipos and plug them back in just to get the esc to turn back on again.. little bugs like these with the esc is what makes me worry.. it’s a good thing I’m ordering my max 6 soon.

So needless to say I need a new servo which was actually the last thing I woulda guessed was wrong.. typically these stock serves are pretty good in the Xmaxx.. I thought? Well anyways traxxas said to send it in and they will send me a new one but in the mean time I still gotta purchase a second servo so I can at least drive to darn thing for now..

I def don’t wanna buy another stock servo now so I’m thinking of buying the upgrades traxxas one.. any other ideas? Sucks I gotta spend money already with a brand new truck just to play with it :/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That does bite. Iíve been running the 2085X for a year with no issues. Powerful and plenty quick to toss around the Badlands.

RC Champion
    Both are unproven...

X2

...On to the topic, to the OP, Traxxas is not junk, much better than in the past. But the ESC thing does seem out of hand.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobiffbetter View Post
    Hey guys so I found out that the issue was.. if you can Believe it or not the servo. After getting off the phone with traxxas and then telling me I had to buy a new esc cuz they weren’t gonna warentee it I did some more fiddling around with the truck and found that if I switched my servo out to one of my spare 1/8 servos the problem went away competely..

So evidently the bad servo was backfeeding into the RX and the RX was backfeeding into the ESC causing it to jump and lunge forward or backward. With my spare 1/8 servo plugged in the truck does not lunge forward or backward and it works perfectly
    fine.....

Well anyways traxxas said to send it in and they will send me a new one but in the mean time I still gotta purchase a second servo so I can at least drive to darn thing for now..

I def don’t wanna buy another stock servo now so I’m thinking of buying the upgrades traxxas one.. any other ideas?
    Glad it's figured out, was going to also say servo, I've seen this before. Send it in, sell warranty unit, buy Traxxas 2085X and enjoy!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    X2

X2

That does bite. I’ve been running the 2085X for a year with no issues. Powerful and plenty quick to toss around the Badlands.

Glad it's figured out, was going to also say servo, I've seen this before. Send it in, sell warranty unit, buy Traxxas 2085X and enjoy!

Just wanted to say thanks for all your input guys i appericaite it.

I went on amazon prime last night and got me a bunch of upgrades..

Here is what I have ordered-

-Traxxas 2085x Upgraded servo with adjustable steering link and stiffer saver spring
    -RPM rear hubs with larger diameter inner bearings
    -RPM threaded pins for the front and rear knuckles (I was going to buy the CEN pins until i saw RPM made their own)
    -Robinson racing hardned 20T spur gear to go with my 46T optional spur gear
    -Proline 2017 Raptor body pre-trimmed/Clear
    -Lexan paint- 1 can Black + 1 can Red
    -Body saver bushings/washers (these are the firm rubber type washers to protect my new body from pulling through)

I believe thats everything i ordered last night... I should have the body, the body savers, the paint, and the servo upgrade here by Friday because i used amazon prime.

I will keep you guys posted with installing the upgrades adn letting you know how the new servo worked out.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-20-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Post in the Market Place

RC Qualifier
    you were asking about heat issues,
    honestly it is VERY dependent on a lot of things.

driving style
    terrain you are on
    driving style
    ambient air temp.
    driving style

the most heat is generated at WOT, or when the truck is working really hard like a large hill climb, which tends to be close to WOT.

I got one of the IR temp guns, like $20 a harbor freight. you can point it at the heat syncs and get a read out quickly to monitor your meltdown process. you should also monitor the heat of the lipos.
    a max6 with a stock 8s motor and 22/46 gears can cook/puff a 35C 5000mah lipo.

I have a max6, 22/46 gears, stock 8s mota, and 9200 4S SMCs, I will hit thermal shutdown on a hot day (80F +) if I drive on the crazy side.
    I did upgrade the fans to a 60X60X25mm 5V cpu fan that spits out 25 cfms which has helped. I can drive a bit longer but I still do end up hitting TSD eventually with crazy driving.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If using the stock esc, update the firmware before you drive it. My esc was twitchy out of the box. Updated firmware and it's been perfect. Year and a half later, my buddy buys one and the esc is twitchy out of the box. Updated the firmware, and it's been perfect. In my case, and my buddy's case the escs only issue was the firmware. The escs are fine...

RC Champion
    Nobiffbetter, nice order enjoy and update us.

Snowcrossmxz, great information and agree.

Rag6, interesting and good to know. I've not had good experience with any Traxxas ESC, therefore I just pull em/sell em and replace with something I prefer.

Edit, my buddies experience agrees with mine.

RC Competitor
    If using the stock esc, update the firmware before you drive it. My esc was twitchy out of the box. Updated firmware and it's been perfect. Year and a half later, my buddy buys one and the esc is twitchy out of the box. Updated the firmware, and it's been perfect. In my case, and my buddy's case the escs only issue was the firmware. The escs are fine...
    Thatís a good thought. It is kind of goofy acting once and awhile it seems.. and reverse is super sensitive.. like stupid sensitive, I turned my reverse end point down to 75% to ease it quite a bit but I canít go any lower than that with out loosing too much of my braking power.

I ran the truck for the first time today just up and down the road, I installed the 46T pinion and a Robinson racing hardened steel 20T pinion and on stock electronics it did fantastic. I feel this is the perfect hearing for a stock setup as it had great acceleration and awesome top end.. I was riding 30mph wheelies at Just 1/4 or so throttle. I am VERY pleased with how it ran.

As I said before I am using 2x gens ace 5000mah 50C lipos in series.. I would never ever try to run anything lower than a 50c in a truck like this that just wouldnít make sense tho Iím sure it would be fine for most people.

My esc and motor temps were perfectly fine.. not even close to thermals. It was only about 50 degrees out tho but by the looks of it I think the 20/46 gearing is gonna work out just fine. The esc seems to be handling it well also so Iím thinking Iíll jisr wait till the stock ESC craps out on me before buying the max 6 as I already spent $200 in upgrades on the truck this week.

RC Competitor
    Nobiffbetter, nice order enjoy and update us.

Snowcrossmxz, great information and agree.

Rag6, interesting and good to know. I've not had good experience with any Traxxas ESC, therefore I just pull em/sell em and replace with something I prefer.

Edit, my buddies experience agrees with mine.
    I would have to agree with you on the ESC’s.. Iv heard nothing but bad news as well. Since mine seems to be handling just fine right now and the truck has plenty of power with the 20/46 pinion I think I’ll jist wait till the stock esc craps out before going with a max 6. (If it ain’t broke don’t fix it kinda deal)

My body paint arrived today with my proline raptor body.. my upgraded servo and body saver mounts will be here tommarrow so I will be tossing those in right away. I am also going to do the servo saver mod by putting a nut on the backside of the saver and adding a longer 16mm bolt so it doesn’t loosen up on me down the road while I’m in there replacing the servo.

My RPM rear knuckles and RPM threaded Hinge pins will be here Monday.

The only odd thing I found after a hard 45 minute road run is the front diff feels very tight when I spin it in one direction vs the other.. before I drove it the front and rear diffs felt nice and smooth when I turned the wheels by hand and after I ran it I checked them again and the back diff felt the same (good) but the front diff feels very firm.. when I spin it in one direction it’s fine but when I spin the front diff in the other direction it feels rather stiff all a sudden.. almost as if there is no oil in the diff cup anymore.. any idea of what this might be? I didn’t see any diff fluid leak anywhere and the truck drove and sounded fine otherwise. Maybe it’s just Because it isn’t fully broken in yet?

Lmk what you think thanks buddy
    Last edited by Nobiffbetter; 03-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.

RC Racer
    just do as I did and replace the esc before it acts up or goes up in smoke ---also if you bash hard like me get a couple spare front bumpers with supports as they are kinda puny and break easily.Dont ask me how I know lol-lets just say you can get killer air on a bmx track with your xmaxx

RC Enthusiast
    Like you, I have had a disappointing experience with my 8s. I've only owned it a month and my esc caught fire, then the servo completely locked up after experiencing similar issues that you've experiencing (steering not working, locking in the left steering position, driving forward/reverse while activating the steer, very, very dangerous...).

Nonetheless, I've found Traxxas support to be terrific, they have replaced both the esc and servo for me. Lastly the technician I talked with said his favorite gear ratio is 15-54. I have very limited experience with that ratio, but I can say I took a big hit on top end speed, which I'm ok with since I'm hoping this will help prevent eating spur gears like I've been experiencing. Time will tell...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ggte496j View Post
    Like you, I have had a disappointing experience with my 8s. I've only owned it a month and my esc caught fire, then the servo completely locked up after experiencing similar issues that you've experiencing (steering not working, locking in the left steering position, driving forward/reverse while activating the steer, very, very dangerous...).

Nonetheless, I've found Traxxas support to be terrific, they have replaced both the esc and servo for me. Lastly the technician I talked with said his favorite gear ratio is 15-54. I have very limited experience with that ratio, but I can say I took a big hit on top end speed, which I'm ok with since I'm hoping this will help prevent eating spur gears like I've been experiencing. Time will tell...
    Yep
    I completely agree with you man.. to spend over $1000 on a rc truck to have it come with junk servo and junk escís is just totally un-called for and traxxas should know better than to push that stuff out the door.

I agree about the servo.. sounds like yours was doing exactly what mine was doing.. as I would turn the steering the truck would want to take off on me (super dangorous) What I did to help solve this issue for the time being was since I have an external castle creations BEC what I did was I lowered the voltage all the way down to the minimum which was like 4.2v I wanna say. So since the servo was now getting a much lower voltage the servo was not able to backfeed NEARLY as bad, if it does it now itís predtically not even noticeable but as you can assume I lost a ton of my steering power because of the lower voltage. I did this so that I could st least safely drive the truck untill my new upgrades servo came. My upgrade parts arrived today so Iím gonna get to work on swapping them in soon as I get home.

I plan on sending my stock servo in for warentee and when I get it back I plan on either selling it or just hanging onto it for a spare.

The ESC I am monitoring VERY closely with a temp gun but so far seems to be liking the 20/46 gearing and so do I! Itís like the perfect stock hearing setup IMO (at least for me anyways). I use a thermal heat gun to constantly check my esc and motor temps so I will continue to do that untill I upgrade to a max6.

One guy on here mentioned updating the firmware but since mine is working Iím not sure if I wanna try it.. I feel like knowing my luck Iíll try to update it and it will Brick the ESC forcing me to buy the max 6 sooner than I want to.. so since the stock esc is working for now Iím just gonna use it and keep a close eye on it while I do.

Iíll prolly upgrade to a max 6 in the upcoming month or so anyhow. Itís basically the last main upgrade I have left to do now anyways.

RC Champion
    Ggte496j, 15/54 gearing??? Way too low geared, thanks I'll pass. Running 18/54 for now, but swapping to 18/50 when I get the time. Soldering XT150 connectors on my new 4s lipos today.

Nobiffbetter, just upgrade the esc firmware, I've heard no reports of detrimental effects, only positive.

RC Competitor
    Ggte496j, 15/54 gearing??? Way too low geared, thanks I'll pass. Running 18/54 for now, but swapping to 18/50 when I get the time. Soldering XT150 connectors on my new 4s lipos today.

Nobiffbetter, just upgrade the esc firmware, I've heard no reports of detrimental effects, only positive.
    Right on bro.. xt150ís are where itís at. Thatís all I run.. specially if your running high powered 1/8 and 1/5 scales like Iv got.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys so yet ANOTHER update on my Xmaxx and it’s throttle twitch issues when steering left to right..

As I was saying above I swapped one of my 8th scale servos onto the Xmaxx and the throttle twitching when steering went away so I figured it’s gotta be the servo right?

Well I just installed my upgraded traxxas servo in my xmaxx tonight and low and behold it does the same exact thing!! So clearly it wasn’t the servo like we were thinking. It’s most deffienlty gotta be the esc.

Here is my theory.. the reason the ESC throttle was twitching/jumping forward and reverse whenever I steered my servo left and right was because the servo is very big and thus is high powered, so it’s deffienlty gotta be putting some kind of feedback into the rx which in turn commands the esc to glitch in forward or reverse.. so I was right about that.. where I was wrong was thinking the servo was the issue.. most people like me would prolly agree that the servo would be the issue specially after installing an 8th scale servo in its place and having the problems stop.. but what I think is happening here is the esc is just SUPER overly sensitive to feedback because it is messed up internally in some way or another... the reason the 8th scale seevondidnt cause the same issue was only because it doesn’t draw enough power to have any such feedback into the rx like the big Xmaxx Servos do. Both the brand new stock servo AND the brand new upgraded Servos are causing the esc to glitch in forward and reverse so there is no way both Servos are bad.

Because my esc has my own soldered connectors traxxas won’t warentee it. I also tried to update the firmware as some people had mentioned That I should try so I used my buddy’s traxxas link module to do the firmware update but once the update completed the esc still acted exactly the same way. I’m pretty sure I’m just SOL with this esc so I am going to the hobby store tommarrow to get a max 6 and just be done with it.

My RPM threaded pins and rear knuckles will be here Monday and other than that and buying the max 6 esc tommarrow all that’s left is just to paint my new proline raptor body which I’ll be doing tommarrow as well and hopfully the truck will finally be ready to rock.

I’ll let you guys know how I make out with the max 6 Tom. I shoulda knew from the beginning that it was that darn Traxxas ESC giving me all these issues. I never heard much bad about the stock Xmaxx servos so I kind of thought it was odd that mine would be bad right out of the box.. but the esc... that don’t suprise me at all

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobiffbetter View Post
    Here is my theory.. the reason the ESC throttle was twitching/jumping forward and reverse whenever I steered my servo left and right was because the servo is very big and thus is high powered, so itís deffienlty gotta be putting some kind of feedback into the rx which in turn commands the esc to glitch in forward or reverse.. so I was right about that.. where I was wrong was thinking the servo was the issue.. most people like me would prolly agree that the servo would be the issue specially after installing an 8th scale servo in its place and having the problems stop.. but what I think is happening here is the esc is just SUPER overly sensitive to feedback because it is messed up internally in some way or another... the reason the 8th scale seevondidnt cause the same issue was only because it doesnít draw enough power to have any such feedback into the rx like the big Xmaxx Servos do. Both the brand new stock servo AND the brand new upgraded Servos are causing the esc to glitch in forward and reverse so there is no way both Servos are bad.

If you cannot adjust your BEC output on your stock ESC, it doesn't matter if your servos are rated for 6v,7.4v or 8.4 volt. So in other words, since your BEC is likely 6v on a stock ESC, even if your servos were high voltage servos, only 6v would still be going to them.

Remember, just because a servo is a higher rated voltage, the BEC still has to be adjusted accordingly to suit the needs desired and that cannot be done with the stock ESC.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-22-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Qualifier
    in Hind site you probably should have just run the truck stock a few times so that you know if there are any issues, then when you are certain everything is working start changing stuff.

Id go back to all the stock stuff just to test, especially the remote.

There is a guy in the erevo forum that had a similar experience and was getting stuff warranty replaced when there was actually no problem with the stock electronics

I'm pretty sure the out of box esc firmware is what is wrong with the escs

RC Champion
    I'm pretty sure the out of box esc firmware is what is wrong with the escs
    This, and ime Traxxas ESC are not built to take hard use, hot weather or whatever their own maximum rated voltage is. They are ok one step down in voltage but even then I’ve had less than stellar experiences.

To everyone who is running their XMaxx with esc issues, you’re just asking to kill the esc, steering servo and batteries (update the firmware!). Also ime BEC is not needed here and likely to cause issues. Like a solution looking for a problem. But each their own.
    Last edited by Natedog; 03-23-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Honestly, how many X-Maxx's does Traxxas make? I don't know but it is well into the tens of thousands. Their design inside and out may be completed right at their headquarters in Texas and then send all the specs overseas (the box says "Made in Taiwan" correct??) for them to manufacture. During that process the firmware, for example, could be B.BB.BBBB or a batch of defective parts gets shipped and installed into the X-Maxx's. They get boxed, shipped back to the States and hit the warehouse(s) and ultimately the dealers. We purchase and then find there is an issue, then another has the same issue, then another. Traxxas requests the defective parts back, R&D a fix and sends it back to the consumers. So are they now supposed to request every box back - with no guarantee that every part is defective - open them all, get their shipment of said defective part, rebox and send them back to the dealer? How much would that truly cost?? Or do they rely on their super customer service to handle the complaints, RMA and then before the part is sent back update the firmware to the latest C.CC.CCCC? The latter option is much cheaper.

Yes there may be a defect or the firmware may have issues, but if it takes, say 60 days, from the time an X-Maxx is made until it reaches the hands of a consumer who finds a defect, how many X-Maxx's have been made during that time with that same defect? Traxxas is already 60 days behind in this example. Certainly they may have a dozen or so X-Maxx's in house that they may have bashed with no issues but that is a small representation of what is out there. Bigger problems don't show their ugly face until you get a large sample released to consumers. Every manufacturer (HPI, Arrma, Losi, et al.) has this issue and with autos they may issue a TSB or worst-case a recall.

I do agree that you drop $1k on a toy and it should perform flawlessly out of the box. If it doesn't then there's a Customer Service line you can contact.

For future reference I would highly recommend reading the Community Goals as well as points #8 & 9 of the Rules.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor

Alright guys so my truck is FINALLY finished!!! I got the max 6 esc as well and it should be here tommarrow.. itís the last thing out of all my upgrades that I need to install and itís gonna be about a 10 minute install..

Before buying the max6 I tried one last effort to fix the stock glitchy ESC cuz it was lunging the truck forward and backward as I steered my servo to the left and the right.. i I stalled a spectrum voltage protector or regulator that goes into your receiver.. this is just basically a large capacitor that helps to reduce feedback from the servo and helps the entire system run more stable.. this did nothing to help the issues I was having with the stock servo and that was the last straw.. I figured I did every other upgrade I might as well just get the max 6 and be done with it so I did. I will be keeping the voltage protector installed anyways just because the servo runs much smoother with it installed since itís such a powerful servo.

I also got my Xmaxx proline raptor body painted! First body I ever did in my life and I think it turned out great!! I had no clue what I was doing but I learn fast. Iíll post pics.

I also used drywall tape on the entire bottom of the body and then layered it all with flexseal (the type you put on with a paint brush) this way I could get it layered and more thick where I felt the body could use it.

All in all Iím very happy and this weekend Iíll be taking it for itís very first rip with the new body and all of the upgrades complete.. I canít wait and Iíll let you all know how everything does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nobiffbetter; 03-25-2019 at 08:58 PM.

RC Competitor

Iíll take a few final pics when I get the max 6 ESC installed tommarrow. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nobiffbetter; 03-25-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Very sharp colors!
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Dude! Looks fantastic and especially for first time. Iím not a fan of painting, but I have done a couple bodies under protest. Iím so happy the Bash armor came out so I can be lazy and not paint!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast