RC Competitor

Question Help choosing motor & esc combo

Hello, Iíve started a new project car and need some opinions on a power plant. I have a slash 2wd LCG with very large tires (Proline trenchers 2.8). Iím not going for high speed runs obviously because of the large tires. But I want this car to be a stupid fast bashing yard truck. I donít race, I just want to jump it and beat it up. Iíll mostly be using off it road in grass, dirt, gravel, etc...

So I was thinking of getting a Castle Creations 1515-2200kv motor and pairing it with a mamba x, mamba monster 2, or a mamba monster X. I plan on running primarily 4s, so nothing to crazy. So would this be a good option, I like castle products, and always had good luck with there customer service. But I guess it all just comes down to gearing? What esc would be the best for that pairing and is that a good choice in motor??

Any opinions will be appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Rants86; 03-17-2019 at 07:07 PM.

With the lightweight(Slash2WD I assume since posting here) and the planned 4s usage I would suggest the 1512 2650kv Mamba X combo because you won't have to gear so high to get the same speed from it and it is a lighter combo than the 1515 2200kv MMX setup.

RC poster
    i have had really bad luck with customer service with castle. esc was acting up, sent in esc and motor. i knew that the esc was the problem, but they told me it was the motor. they sent the stuff back saying it was the motor, and then they would ship me a new combo. but the esc was still broken, and they sent back 1/2 of what actually was a working motor. i still never got the combo after 3 months, so i had to spend 70 dollars on a traxxas motor. i cancled the order, and i now bought another sidewinder 3.
    my slash is niknamed Z.I.P.P.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by airmightydude View Post
    i have had really bad luck with customer service with castle. esc was acting up, sent in esc and motor. i knew that the esc was the problem, but they told me it was the motor. they sent the stuff back saying it was the motor, and then they would ship me a new combo. but the esc was still broken, and they sent back 1/2 of what actually was a working motor. i still never got the combo after 3 months, so i had to spend 70 dollars on a traxxas motor. i cancled the order, and i now bought another sidewinder 3.
    For almost same price I bought hobbywing ezrun max10sct combo 3200kv. 2-4s esc and 3660 motor. You can use bigger motor with this esc if you want. In my 2wd Slash i have CC sidewinder 3sct 3800 combo. Itís ok but not recommended for 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    For almost same price I bought hobbywing ezrun max10sct combo 3200kv. 2-4s esc and 3660 motor. You can use bigger motor with this esc if you want. In my 2wd Slash i have CC sidewinder 3sct 3800 combo. It’s ok but not recommended for 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m exploring venues other than castle too andhobbywing seems promising. If castle can keep their stuff in stock it’s one thing but you can’t find anything 2400, 2200 or 2650kv in stock anywhere and their prices is getting way too high, even the sidewinder is out of control. At the at all their stuff is made in China anyway so might as well get something cheaper and actually available to buy.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help so far. I've been doing more research aswell, so far I have found that castle stuff is sold out everywhere.... as TwoBeglugas said. So I have been looking around more and found two combos instock that might work for me, any thoughts on them would be appreciated.

I found the castle mamba X with an 1512-1800kv which might be a little to low of a motor...

I also saw the Hobbywing Max8 with a 2200kv motor, my questions are is the Hobbywing stuff any good? And if so will this be a good choice for what I want to do?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I’m exploring venues other than castle too andhobbywing seems promising. If castle can keep their stuff in stock it’s one thing but you can’t find anything 2400, 2200 or 2650kv in stock anywhere and their prices is getting way too high, even the sidewinder is out of control. At the at all their stuff is made in China anyway so might as well get something cheaper and actually available to buy.
    Have you had any experience with the Hobbywing combos? I'm looking at the Max8 with a 2200kv motor, as I said. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on on the matter. Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Honestly I would go with the Sidewinder 3 and 3800kv, with the right gear ratio (i used 26p/36s) you car be fast and have a fun basher (run a good fan like the *** fans if running that ratio for a long time) however mine was for speed runs and now has a much more powerful system and a .59 gear ratio
    Rocking Slash 4x4 ultimate and slash 2wd street

RC Competitor
    So I just bought a slash 4x4 lcg and will be upgrading the driveline to accommodate a 2200kv motor on 4s, so hopefully that will work. Thanks for all the help, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep or sell my slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rants86 View Post
    So I just bought a slash 4x4 lcg and will be upgrading the driveline to accommodate a 2200kv motor on 4s, so hopefully that will work. Thanks for all the help, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep or sell my slash 2wd
    I have both and recommend keeping the 2wd if you can. They are very different animals. The 2wd is very fun in its own way and considerably more reliable and cheap to operate. Just can't beat the 4x4 in acceleration and braking performance.

-Liberty

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I have both and recommend keeping the 2wd if you can. They are very different animals. The 2wd is very fun in its own way and considerably more reliable and cheap to operate. Just can't beat the 4x4 in acceleration and braking performance.

-Liberty
    I'll probably keep it, I just might turn it back into a rustler and dive back into speed runs.... But the 4x4 slash comes first! for now...

I was once debating offing the 2WD Slash but found it a really fun street outlaw type of machine that can still do limited offroad.