RC poster

Noob to rc and Slash 4x4

Just bought a Slash 4x4 VXL and love it! New to rc and having a blast. Who says you can't start having fun w/ rc at 50! Had the truck for a week and having a blast. That is until yesterday. Little too much of a drift at speed and an immovable object caused a broken right front shock cap and A arm. I was told this could happen (not that my driving didn't help) and my original thought was to do the aluminum caps but it was recommended to go to a Proline or GTR shock. For the A arm I'm ordering some RPMs. Want to get it running soon. Will be doing some oval and dirt track racing with it. Looking to learn and meet more people.
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    With the experience I have with my sl4sh i'd also suggest getting the aluminium caster blocks

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6832X

After putting these babies on,I haven't broken a single part,they take the force of snagging your tires on anything.The rpm a-arms are a good choice too,they hold together pretty well,And can't say how important getting aluminium shock caps is,Don't want any shock oil spills (trust me it sucks)

Good luck

Onyx
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

Quote Originally Posted by Frazer View Post
    Just bought a Slash 4x4 VXL and love it! New to rc and having a blast. Who says you can't start having fun w/ rc at 50! Had the truck for a week and having a blast. That is until yesterday. Little too much of a drift at speed and an immovable object caused a broken right front shock cap and A arm. I was told this could happen (not that my driving didn't help) and my original thought was to do the aluminum caps but it was recommended to go to a Proline or GTR shock. For the A arm I'm ordering some RPMs. Want to get it running soon. Will be doing some oval and dirt track racing with it. Looking to learn and meet more people.
    Instead of using RPM arms I'd recommend the Traxxas arms the new Slash Ultimate 4x4 uses. They are Rustler HD cold weather arms part# TRA3655R. The RPM arms are actually too flexible and can sag under the vehicle weight.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    Instead of using RPM arms I'd recommend the Traxxas arms the new Slash Ultimate 4x4 uses. They are Rustler HD cold weather arms part# TRA3655R. The RPM arms are actually too flexible and can sag under the vehicle weight.
    Id have to agree, I have rpm arms but I am thinking of going back to stock because of the flex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

If you are going g to keep the Ultra shocks I suggest that you get the aluminum caps. If you are planning to upgrade your shocks, I HIGHLY recommend the Traxxas GTR shocks. As for a arms. I have run the stock, RPM and the new Ultimate editions. I will say that I prefer the new Ultimate editions! My truck has been sitting for months on its wheels. There is no sag in the arms!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I can't speak for the new Traxxas arms since I don't own any, tho I can speak for the RPM'''s.
    First off if you make sure to store your truck on a stand (anything that will unload the suspension) sagging will never be an issue.
    The RPM arm's are made to hold the standard stock weight of a Slash, many of us (me included) go to extremes and end up with a truck weighing twice it's original weight; left sitting on it's wheels all the time will indeed take it's toll on your RPM arms.
    I have a 2wd that entirely Aluminum with the exception of the RPM arms; after 3 (maybe four) years they're still in excellent condition.
    I also run Tekno axles with them which is not recommended even by Tekno but have yet to have a failure; the truck is over powered and pushed hard when in use as well.
    In the end RPM arm's imho are great, extremely tough and hold up well in cold weather; along with some simple maintenance and care they'll last a long time.
    Left sitting with the suspension continuously loaded they may sag over time; more so with modified trucks weighing much more then their stock counter parts.
    Just my 2
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Dang! Thanks for all the suggestions and support. Awesome site and ready to fix up my truck. And yes, I get the addiction. Wife is picking up a 2wd while I'm away at work so I can start racing it in the stock 2wd class at the local oval track. Guess I'll be buying backup parts. This leads me to another question: for those that spend time at the track, what do you recommend for keeping batteries charged. As I said I've never done this before. I know some get inverters, chargers they connect directly to the car battery, and the pricey generator option. Trying to ease into this the safest way possible.
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know about your particular track. However, I took my son to watch people race at a local indoor track and they had a pit area. Since it is inside a building, they had workstations and electricity...folks were just using their chargers like normal.

RC poster
    Just thought I'd post an update of some of my recent acquisitions. I ended up picking up some Proline Pro-Spec shocks, RPM a-arms, and Proline body mount with screw on locknuts. Also decided to get a stand and picked up the RPM stand. Actually got one for my wife as well. I get the addiction of the rc world. So awesome to be able to build these up any way you want. Next step will be new wheels, among many other parts. I said I would wait until the stock wheels wear down, but we'll see how long I can actually hold out.
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    .... I said I would wait until the stock wheels wear down, but we'll see how long I can actually hold out.
    I’ve found that the factory tires don’t wear out very fast at all...which will make it harder to hold out.