Thread: running in sand

RC poster

running in sand

hello i was wondering about running in sand(cocoa beach). i have the vxl motor in my slash, and my rustler is the 12t titen
    1. what damage would induce
    2.what precautions should i take
    3. does it get into everywhere
    4. will sand ruin my bearings
    5.will the brushed motor be ruined
    6. after run maintinence
    7. wet sand
    my slash is niknamed Z.I.P.P.

RC poster
    Think sand paper. Sand doesn't play well with mechanical devices let alone the salt water. For the longevity of your rc I wouldn't go near the beach with it. If you decide to take it there then I would suggest cleaning it asap after usage before it starts looking like artifact from the Titanic.

RC poster
    no wet sand?

You can run it in wet sand, any sand actually, but you want to be careful while driving to not go super crazy with it. Make sure all your gears are covered as best they can be. After make sure to really clean it and get all the sand out, because it will wear everything faster if you don't. I wouldn't recommend the brushed t12, because sand could get in and wear it out faster, but the brushless will be fine. If you wanna/probably will get your car wet put some dry lube on all the metal moving parts and screws, so they resist rust better. Last, make sure to dry it out if wet, (like stick it upside down on a hot vent) so you will get even less rust. Hope this helps you man, and have fun bashing!
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    thanks a lot. my vacation will be way better

RC poster
    thanks a lot. my vacation will be way better. what do you mean by dry lube?

I like free stuff!

Before any water exposure I always spray down the moving parts of my RC avoiding the electronics focusing on the a-arms, CVDs, bearings, and the undercarriage with WD-40. Now WD-40 doesn't make it waterproof. It does help inhibit rust, corrosion, and act as a release agent for easy cleaning if down soon after. I also do an extensive break down of the vehicle within an hour or 2 of being done for the day. I run full stainless bearings so I don't break it down to bits but I do take the front and rear diff assemblies off the main chassis and take off the wheels. Then I spray the front and rear sections with cold water and wipe dry with paper towels. I then spray on stream a mixture of alcohol and Windex in the areas where I can't wipe dry. Finish with your choice of PTFE spray. Almost all dry lube sprays are just PTFE with a fancy name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

This is most likely way more than is needed to maintain any RC vehicle but I have time on my hands and like to make big jobs of small things in my old age I guess. But I do believe using the WD-40 before getting into water does help.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-19-2019 at 01:54 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    We take our 2wd slash and 4wd stampede to the beach a couple times a year. As mentioned above I’ll lightly coat the moving partswith 3-1 dry lube.. goes on wet, but then dry’s quickly. We will run in the sand and then I rinse with fresh water as soon as we’re done. Then dry throughly, WD-40 and wipe down, then 3-1 oil the bushings in the Titan brushed motor. Clean up is a pain, but after several batteries of fun it’s worth it. Also make sure to remove the slipper clutch cover to clean that area good as sand will take out the plastic clutch gear quickly.

Part of my non-daily maintenance I use plumbers silicone grease on the receiver box o-ring and cable outlet cover. This usually lasts 3 to 4 slap/water washes.

All that said we have a blast on the beach with the trucks and have always avoided the saltwater.