RC poster

E-Revo 1/16 VXL - Servo damaged, what now?

I am a beginner and was reading in many places that the servo on this model is usually what fails first, next to the differential. Today, it happened to my model I believe. Steering to the right, ok. Steering to the left stops at ~3/4 and makes the 'grrrrrrr' sound. Blame is on me, because I do a lot of skatepark jumping, so no problem. I have two questions:
    1. Can the plastic servo gears be bought without buying the full servo. I am pretty sure it is just a broken gear tooth or two.
    2. Is the metal gear servo any better? https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2080X

I do not want to buy the same plastic servo again because it seems to be rather sensitive.
    Actually, can I just buy the metal gears and put them in the blue default servo? That would be the easiest and cheapest solution and I would have more robust metal gearing as a result.

RC Qualifier
    You can buy just the gears. At least for the plastic ones. A metal gear servo will be better. I put in a savox into mine. Think it was 20 to 30$ Not sure if Traxxas offers a metal gear one for the merv I'm unsure if able to buy metal gears for the stock servo. You would have to do a bit more research to find out. Perhaps someone can chime in on that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Traxxas offers the metal gear servo that is in the link in my post. But yes, I saw a video on youtube where a guy was exchanging the servo for a Savox. Is the Savox servo any better than the metal gear Traxxas servo?

RC Qualifier
    I have the savox sw-0250mg in my
    merv

Speed @6.0V:*0.11 sec/60*
    Torque @6.0V:*69.4 oz-in (5.0 kg-cm)*

Tra2080x is at 41ish oz-in @.17 sec

So savox is better.... It's also quite a bit cheaper.

I didn't see any metal gears for the stock tra2080. The tra2075 has metal gear set you can put in to replace the plastic gears.... but didn't find any think with a quick search.

It's either buy plastic gear sets at 9$ or so a pop. Or spend 30 for the savox or the 45$ for the 2080x.

I've never had my metal gear servos go bad... Only my plastic gears... On any of my rigs.

RC poster
    I went with the Traxxas 2080X metal gear servo for now. Hope to get it within the next days.

But I made some nice finding to bridge the days, maybe it helps some other people (old-hands sure know it).
    So I opened the servo and of course three teeth from a gear were gone. Some research and I found this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TC886OWOps
    But what I did instead of replacing the gear that he talks about, I just pulled it off, turned it by 180 and put it back on. Like he says, only 180 of the gear is used and therefore the backside was completely fine. It worked perfectly. Then I went to the local downhill bike park today and cleared a few big jumps. Of course a few bad landings on the front wheels later, the servo was gone again. But that's actually perfectly fine because if that is all that breaks at big air jumps, then I am fine with it. I will order a few plastic gears and just go through them one by one. They are 4 bucks and that's like nothing for 1 hour of real big air jumping. With metal gears I have to test it, but I am afraid something else will break at heavy front wheel impacts if the servo gears do not give in. The impact force has to go somewhere. Something that is more cumbersome to replace and more expensive. Swapping servo gears is really like 5mins and a few bucks. It can be easily done on location. I will skip my daily burger to have that money left over.
    Last edited by LittleGuy; 03-21-2019 at 01:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I've found my brushed merv to be pretty bullet proof. Since owning only a spur gear. A arm ( think was cracked when I bought it used. ) And a servo ( old one smoked while it sat at lvc while talking to someone. )

I think you will be happy with the metal gear servo. Having your other one as backup all fixed up is a good idea.