RC Competitor

Brand new LiPo swollen?

I just purchased a brand new 2s 5800 mah battery and I havenít used it yet i noticed that the two sides seem to be a bit bigger than my other battery. I can also squish the sides in a bit it is like there is air in it or something. I canít return it to the hobby shop because it is opened. Any ideas of if I can tell if it is bad or not or any recommendations? Thanks everyone!

That potentially sounds like defective batteries. If they are defective, the shop should have no problem taking them back, as long as they're unused. If they're defective, and brand new, it does not matter if the box was opened.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

I bought 3 Traxxas batteries for my Atom, different shops, different times, all puffed by itself, not used them even once.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I bought 3 Traxxas batteries for my Atom, different shops, different times, all puffed by itself, not used them even once.
    Sounds like Traxxas might have a manufacturing problem...not saying an ongoing problem, but maybe a certain (or a few certain) batch(es). For both of you, which batteries...2S or 3S, and what capacities?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Sounds like Traxxas might have a manufacturing problem...not saying an ongoing problem, but maybe a certain (or a few certain) batch(es). For both of you, which batteries...2S or 3S, and what capacities?

I think you are right. I just returned the swollen LiPo to my LHS and the second one that I got was just as swollen as the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Day3rd View Post
    I think you are right. I just returned the swollen LiPo to my LHS and the second one that I got was just as swollen as the other one.
    There's always another option - replace the male connector (on the vehicle) with a different connector (I'm currently using XT90 connectors on all vehicles, except for my 1/10 buggy, which uses bullets directly into the battery). Then, for the batteries, themselves, you have numerous choices: Gens Ace, Venom, SMC, etc (personally, with the exception of one Gens Ace, all my batteries are now SMC).