RC poster

Spartan black wire around motor

Hello,

Recently picked up a used Spartan. The radio was kind of ratty so I took it out and upgraded with a new Traxxas TQ link transmitter/receiver. The old receiver had a plug into the bottom; only 2 wires out of 6 on the plug were used, and the black wire leads back to the motor (wraps around the motor). My guess is that it's for telemetry and heat monitoring. Unfortunately, the plug is too wide for the new Traxxas receiver.

Do I need this thing? What's it for?

Thank you,

Darren

It sounds like you got yourself one of the very first V1 Spartans. I had one, and it came with that temp wire going around the motor. When I got my next Spartan it didn't have it. That temp wire was used to shut down your boat to 1/2 speed if your motor got to hot.

If I were in your shoes, I'd dump the BLACK temp wire, because you have the newer Traxxas Tx and Rx, and then treat yourself to the newer Traxxas temp sensor that goes around your motor and fits in your new Rx in the slot that's marked V/TEMP. However, if you do that you will need to get the Traxxas app for your phone to get the use out of it, because it's used for telemetry rather than used to shut down your boat.

If you do that, you mise-well go full scroat, and get yourself the voltage and RPM hookup too. It's only a couple of bucks more, and you'll enjoy your telemetry a whole lot more.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-22-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Awesome, thank you for helping me solve the mystery!

You're welcome, and thank you for patiently waiting for a reply.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.