Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Competitor

Link App Training mode: Are the brakes supposed to be lousy?

Heya’ll:

I’m new here and new to the hobby (picked up a brushed Rustler 4x4 for my son in January, and a couple months later found a used brushed version for myself), so please accept my apologies in advance if this has already been asked and answered a few times. I tried the search function, but it’s possible that I’m as much of a Noob regarding forum searching as I am with driving an RC car

Here is my question:
    Is there a way – using the Link Application, or by other means – to be able to reduce the power output of the vehicle to ~30%, while still allowing for 100% use of the brakes?

The background:
    When I got the Rustler 4x4 VXL, it came with a 3S battery. My first 10 minutes driving this much more powerful version (vs the Brushed one that my son is driving), revealed that I had no business driving anything this fast/powerful just yet. My first take was to simply engage the “Training Mode” of the ESC. No problem… hold the button down, wait for the three flashes, and presto, I’m down to half speed (and seemingly, full use of the brakes). This is for sure a step in the right direction, but in an attempt to match the performance of my son’s brushed version in Training mode, I wanted to go further in this direction (if for no other reason than to avoid having to hear about how unfair it is that Dad has the faster car).

After a little searching, it looked like the Traxxas Link App would allow for a more customized Training mode, so I sprung for the Bluetooth module. One screw later the module is installed in the transmitter, app is downloaded, installed, and linked to the transmitter and my 3S Rustler 4x4… so far so good. I engage the Training Mode via the Traxxas Link App, and turn it down to 30%... and indeed it looks like I have ~30% power when on the throttle…. But YIKES!! I only have what seems to be 30% of my braking performance, too! This is pretty scary, actually. I just about put the car into a fence in the first minute that I was driving it like that. Needless to say, I like the reduced power, but the reduced braking performance is a deal-breaker. It honestly seems unsafe to not allow full use of the brakes. I understand that it’s possible to get the car to “endo” with a harsh application of the brakes, but there are so many other times that having brakes work with some gusto would prevent incidents that it’s tough for me to believe that Traxxas intended this “Training Mode” function to work this way.

So… Am I doing something wrong here? Is there an obvious solution that I’m overlooking? Is there a way to use a combination of things to achieve my goal? Thanks in advance for the assistance. --BillJ

RC Competitor
    Yes there is. When you enter the app touch the training mode button and it will tell you to turn the multifunction knob to the desired throttle level. Hope this helps!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the quick reply, Day3rd, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting.
    I get that I can set the throttle level to whatever percentage I desire, either with the multi-function knob, or inside of the app itself (with an on-screen slider), but what I'm looking for is a way to set the throttle level down to approx 30%, and yet still retain functional braking capability. Based on what I've observed, when I set the throttle level to 30%, I also end up with only 30% of the braking ability, which is not ideal. I'm looking to cap the throttle at around 30%, but still retain 100% braking. Is this possible?
    Thanks --BillJ

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, Day3rd, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting.
    I get that I can set the throttle level to whatever percentage I desire, either with the multi-function knob, or inside of the app itself (with an on-screen slider), but what I'm looking for is a way to set the throttle level down to approx 30%, and yet still retain functional braking capability. Based on what I've observed, when I set the throttle level to 30%, I also end up with only 30% of the braking ability, which is not ideal. I'm looking to cap the throttle at around 30%, but still retain 100% braking. Is this possible?
    Thanks --BillJ
    Hey sorry for my late response. As far as I know it is not possible to have it so the brakes can be at 100% in that setting. Traxxas should look into this because I don’t know why you would only want your brakes to work at half power or less. Hope this helps!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Day3rd View Post
    Hey sorry for my late response. As far as I know it is not possible to have it so the brakes can be at 100% in that setting. Traxxas should look into this because I don’t know why you would only want your brakes to work at half power or less. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the follow-up, Day3rd! I was beginning to think that I was the only one that had this issue (although I did find a guy on the eRevo forum that had the same issue a while back, but my attempts to revive that thread seem to have fallen on deaf ears: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ng-mode-issues).

I had to contact Traxxas about another issue (the ESC going South on my Rustler 4x4 VLX), and while I had the guy on the phone, I asked about the Training Mode in the app. He seemed genuinely puzzled by what I was describing, and indicated that he would be contacting his supervisor to investigate. Given that the point of the call was to address the ESC, I imagine that this fell thru the cracks, and no one is looking at it, but I really do wish that they would investigate. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I can't imagine that this is what Traxxas had in mind when they included a Training Mode in their App.

Maybe I'll give them another ring to see what they think. I should probably see if I can create a video documenting what I'm seeing, so that they doin't think that I'm making this up.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I'd really love to know if this is behavior something that everyone sees, or if it's unique to the Rustler 4x4 VLX, and the eRevo 2.0.

Thanks again --BillJ

RC Racer
    When I was running my revo2.0 in training mode, it seemed to have full braking functionality but in the book it says that training mode cuts both the throttle and brakes back to 50%. I really didn’t notice any problems having the brakes turned down because the truck was moving slower to begin with but I guess it depends on everyone’s driving style.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    When I was running my revo2.0 in training mode, it seemed to have full braking functionality but in the book it says that training mode cuts both the throttle and brakes back to 50%. I really didn’t notice any problems having the brakes turned down because the truck was moving slower to begin with but I guess it depends on everyone’s driving style.
    Justin: When you were using training mode, were you using the Training Mode that was built into the ESC? Or the Training Mode that is accessible thru the Traxxas App via bluetooth to the transmitter?

I found that the hardware (built into the ESC) Training Mode always worked great. It cut the power in half and maybe the brakes too, but I did not notice that it was a problem. I only noticed a problem when I engage the Software (via the App) Training Mode, and even then, only when I turn the power down to 25 or 30%.

RC Competitor
    I ran into this problem. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I suspect a major bug in the firmware! While in training mode set with the Link App and the TQi Link Wireless Module with my Rustler 4X4 VXL, the car will move at 30% when set. But, the brakes DO NOT WORK!!! It will only attempt reverse when it coasts to a complete stop.