RC Racer

Broken drive shaft for Teton or Prerunner??

Back to RC fun after a cold winter.... we’ve been bashing pretty hard and broke a few things. I was able to remedy the rear body post by lowering it and the stripped servo gear by rotating a gear inside by 180 degrees.

However I definitely need a rear drive shaft. Checked on eBay and I see HR has a pair for 20 bucks. Are those the hardest ones out there? Please advise.

Also can you tell me from the picture is this a prerunner or teton chassis? I know the chassis is slightly different. Do they use the same drive shaft? Don’t assume prerunner by the tires.

I have a set of teton tires and prerunner I tend to swap them so I don’t know which chassis this is from originally.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MiniElmo; 03-22-2019 at 06:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Looks like a Prerunner to me (longer chassis than Teton).

Center driveshaft is longer because of the longer chassis the diff to the wheel shafts though are the same on the Teton and Prerunner (SST).

The Hot Racing (steel) are better than the aluminum (blue) ones.
    Last edited by Igottabeme; 03-22-2019 at 07:45 PM.

RC Racer
    The HR drive shaft is 20 bucks plus shipping for a single pair. Are there any other steel options before I commit to a pair? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniElmo View Post
    The HR drive shaft is 20 bucks plus shipping for a single pair. Are there any other steel options before I commit to a pair? Thanks.

I have only used the Traxxas aluminum and Hot Racing ones but GPM makes steel ones also never tried them though.

RC Qualifier
    That is a prerunner. Like igottabeme said, there are Gpm ones. Personally, I like having a "failsafe" on all of my cars. That is one part that is #1 cheap, #2 easy to access, #3 readily available, to be plastic instead of metal. That way, if too much power goes through, that part gets broken. On my rustler 4x4 vxl I have metal driveshafts diffs center driveshafts, pinion and wheel hexes. I have a plastic spur gear though. It is the cheapest out of all of those parts, and probably also the easiest to access. On my sst, it is the driveshafts. At $2.50 for one, it is probably the best failsafe part. Also you should look at getting a better servo than the stock. I have spent $35 just on replacing the stock servo and servo gears over and over and over. I personally love the emg eso8aii servo with metal gears. However if you want torque, or if you want to be able to run in wet environments, get the 2065x or the savox one.

When I had my SST, I ran it on 3s with a castle system and those HR cvd shafts held up perfectly. Just make sure you keep them lubed or they will get a little stiff.
    "WHEN IN DOUBT, AIR IT OUT!!" - Kevin Talbot

RC Racer

Broken drive shaft for Teton or Prerunner??

Good point about the failsafe and having a cheap weak spot.

I checked the price for tra2065x on eBay... it is 50$. Wow.
    I think I would stick with the 30$ savox 0262mg.

Last edited by MiniElmo; 03-29-2019 at 04:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My experience with that servo was not very positive. If you are new to rc'ing I would not suggest getting that one, because it needs reversing, and servo horn modification. If you are willing and able to do this it is a great servo.

RC Racer
    I'm running the stock motor with the stock battery in my Teton. I've had a lot of issue with the stock driveshafts failing due to the little metal pin working its way out at the diff end. Other than that I kinda like em because they are nice to the outputs of the diffs. The plastic shafts have some give because they twist and loads up the drivedrain more gently which is, in part, why I assume these trucks don't have a slipper. That and they are light weight.
    I have GPM steel shafts in the front of my truck now. I'm getting tons of grip on my backyard track and so my front diff outputs are getting chewed up, even with stock motor and batt.