RC poster

Wink Do you baby it? Absolute beginner question

Bear with me here... I'm completely new to Traxxas, RC cars and off-roading in general (i.e. I know nothing). Long story short, I watched some YouTube videos and went out and bought myself a TRX-4 Defender - as expected, it's a ton of fun. I'm mostly digging the technical rock crawling.

Question is simple: how careful do you have to be with regards to drive train taking hits? Specifically when rock crawling, do you avoid putting yourself in positions where you could easily take a hard rock hit to the drive train components? I feel like there should be skid plate protecting the front differential especially as I've already dinged it a little.

I don't expect it to stay scratch free of course - just want to make it last as long as possible

Cheers

I wouldn't say I baby mine.
    Brushless 13.5t on 3s.
    It is pretty tough out of the box.
    That being said.Hard direct hits will break stuff but scraping and reasonable bumps and bangs should not be a big issue

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Don't worry too much, generally speaking skid plates just get hung up even more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In short, drive it like you rented it!!!

The TRX4 is a very tough truck, with the noted exception of its steering servo. I have put mine through a ton of abuse, and, in most cases, bounces back (or bounces off) with no complaints. But, stuff does break, and that is why we buy hobby-grade RCs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Most times, I drive it way Tom Meentz drives Maximum Destruction. The truck can certainly handle a good bit of regular abuse.
    But when im crawling i tend to drive more like it was a 1:1 daily driver. Definately not into banging off of boulders. Im suspecting the plastics wont hold up to King of the Hammers style rock racing.

My trx4 has been bulletproof. All I've done is upgrade the steering servo. The brushed motor is still going strong and the drivetrain seems to be unphased even if I get it jammed it in low gear. From my experience it doesn't have the torque to break itself in stock form but it has every bit of torque and speed I could want. Don't baby it. It's tough.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    I'm more of a hit the trails guy. My Sport I'll push it. Hit creeks, deer trails etc. My new Blazer will stay on trail and I won't push it like I do the Sport. I have to admit, Traxxas did a great job with these. I have SCX10's and an scx10 2. a few Wraith's and I use my TRX-4's more. My friend owns a hobby shop and more and more of the comp folks are turning to the Sport kits as well.

RC Qualifier
    Same, like the others said. The trx4 is a very durable truck. I dont baby mine, but I do drive it fairly hard. Havent broke anything yet. I did upgrade the steering servo cause the stock one was just top weak to do any turning.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I am a noob too, but I look at it like this: what would I do if it were my full-size rig? I would not line up to whack my pumpkin, or slam into a high-center condition, or smash my font skid into an obstacle, so I try not to on my TRX-4 either. I think it will help encourage a more logical approach to picking a line. That said, there are times where 'powering out of it' seems to be the only way, but that is true on big rigs as well, of course this is often when big damage happens.

Drive it, break it, repair it, and repeat. You just need to have the cash and patience. If either of these are in short supply, I would try hard not to break anything! It wont be fun for you for long if you cant drive it without breaking it and funds are in short supply.