RC Enthusiast

Good, bad, and ugly for Rusty 4x4 vxl

About to pull the trigger. I have the xl5, vxl in 2wd. Upgraded everything on the vxl so I could run 3s lipo and not have to constantly stop bashing to fix this and that. Is it the same for this new model or has Traxxis beefed up components like knuckels, shocks, steering, etc?? Will need to count on upgrade overhaul costs if not. I notice the shell has been improved.
    What's your take on this new Rustler?

RC Enthusiast
    i have the e revo 2.0 and my son has rustler 4x4. so far the rustler 4x4 has been a great basher with NO issures.
    but on the other the e erevo 2.0 has had toe links breaks and shock cap striping.

RC Enthusiast
    Is your son's a vxl and running 3S?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan View Post
    About to pull the trigger. I have the xl5, vxl in 2wd. Upgraded everything on the vxl so I could run 3s lipo and not have to constantly stop bashing to fix this and that. Is it the same for this new model or has Traxxis beefed up components like knuckels, shocks, steering, etc?? Will need to count on upgrade overhaul costs if not. I notice the shell has been improved.
    What's your take on this new Rustler?
    If you are a basher, on 3s you definitely need to spend additional money. At the minimum, get some aliminum hexes, and tekno m6 axles in the rear. You should also get some extra spur gears. The shell is just as bad as a standard one if you do not do a certain thing to it. Take some plastic washers, like those that come with cars with standard bodies, and stick those in between the 4 frontmost screws, and the body holes. After you have done this, I suggest some sort of cooling system for the motor and escc, or just a beefier 1/8 sized motor. In short, to answer your question, you will neeed to spend lots of additional money to make this a solid basher. Minimum $15 for wheel hexes, $35 for rear axles, $7 for extra spur gears, $3-5ish for those washers, $50 for a traxxas charger (i highly recommend their chargers) $50 for a good hardcase 3s lipo. (i use the hrb max 100c hardcase 6000mah 3s lipo. Only charge at 2-3 amp, 4 amp kills it). In the end, if you want something for the budget, get a mini e revo or summit (brushed version), then (excuse me all castle enthuasists), get a knockoff china castle motor off of ebay. Yes it will be much less powerful than a real castle motor, but that is fine because you would be putting it into a 1 16 car. Then you can get just a whatever esc, as long as it can take 2s.

RC Enthusiast
    That's exactly what I needed to know. I made your initial upgrades to my vxl 2wd also bell crank, bearing carriers, rods some other stuff I can't remember. Loosened the clutch so not stripping as many spur gears on 3S. So far it's held up very well component wise. Gets a warm (150F) after about 10mins of hard bashing in dirt so let it rest a few minutes and then finish off the battery which is about 10 mins. Using venom 11.1v 5000 mAh 3S. So far stock motor and esc are doing the job. I have a Hitec charger that does a good job for balance charging the Lipos. Thanks for your input. I'll definitely plan on making the upgrades...2nd time around should be easier except this is now a 4x4 and different layout. Then again swapping the upgrades is half the fun...and the cost!! Lol
    Will also try put the wafer trick for the shell as well.