RC poster

9t Pinion with Trenchers?

So I bought a set of 2.8 Trenchers for my Rustler VXL 4x4. The kid at the shop told me to drop down to a 9t pinion. I installed the new pinion, put it back together and gave it a few rips on the throttle and it was very loud and wasn't catching that great. I took it back apart and noticed that a few teeth broke off the spur.

Did I install it wrong or is 9t too low for the stock spur? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    According to the manual, a 9T pinion gear should work with the stock 54T spur gear.

It sounds like you either have had the mesh wrong (probably too loose), or you got the wrong pitch on the 9T pinion gear. It has to be 32p or 0.8mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    It sounds like you either have had the mesh wrong (probably too loose), or you got the wrong pitch on the 9T pinion gear. It has to be 32p or 0.8mod.
    Yea one of these
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I had the wrong mesh. Rookie mistake, left the plastic spacer in the motor mount and was using the guided hole for the stock spur. All is good now. Thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    Stock up on spur gears while you are at it. It takes a few tries for a beginner to master meshing gears. people on this forum will tell you how i complained about plastic spurs, and then wanted a metal one. One trick that really works well is putting a piece of paper in between the gears. That is a pretty good mesh...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Stock up on spur gears while you are at it. It takes a few tries for a beginner to master meshing gears. people on this forum will tell you how i complained about plastic spurs, and then wanted a metal one. One trick that really works well is putting a piece of paper in between the gears. That is a pretty good mesh...
    It's funny... 20 years in the hobby and that trick never works for me. Don't really need it to now, but I try it on occasion to see.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Luckily 32p gears are pretty easy to set mesh, there is really no wrong way to do it.