RC Racer

Xmaxx 8S led lighting controller

Anyone here try the Traxxas Tra 8485 kit or high voltage power amplifier on the Traxxas 8s esc? Would be nice to be able to get all of the functions of the Traxxas app and break light to.
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

I don't know if you could get the TRA 8485 to physically fit the Xmaxx, but lets just say you could. That kit is made for the 6s UDR, so unless Traxxas support sez differently you couldn't use a 6s lighting system with a 8s system.

I say system rather than ESC; because (if you take a peek of all that lighting kit's components) it looks like the lights all connect into the control module, the control module connects to the balance plug of a 3s battery (via the little harness on the left), and (you can't see it) it would (I would think) have to also plug into your receiver for its' function control. That's how they usually work anyway.

The thing that would kill your idea, however, would be the 3s power supply plug. The only way around that would be if Traxxas said that the control module could take 4s input voltage, and you could some how make a new 4s input voltage plug. Looking at the TRA 8485/3s power supply plug, though, it doesn't look like you couldn't do that. So, you would be restricted to needing a 3s voltage input.

Keep in mind, though, that you could change your ESC and motor over to the Kershaw mod, run a geared up 6s Leopard/Castle power system (which gives you the same basic performance of a stock Traxxas 8s system), and then use your UDR lighting system with that.

It would be expensive to do, but that's the only way I see using the Traxxas TRA 8485 with an Xmaxx. As far as stock 8s Xmaxx goes, it looks like (I'm sorry to say) you're out of luck on that idea.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-31-2019 at 03:42 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

From doing some research it looks like TRA 8485 doesn't connect up like other lighting modules. It hooks up to the ESC rather than to the Rx. It further seems, it hooks up directly to the utility port of the Traxxas VXL-6s ESC. Traxxas sez in their advertising that this receptacle is voltage tapped directly from the battery (as opposed tapped from a BEC). Don't worry though, you're still not screwed, because there is another lighting setup for the Traxxas VXL-8s ESC and its' part number is TRA 7885.

http://blog.rcmart.com/rc-traxxas-ne...ing-soon-7885/

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    From doing some research it looks like TRA 8485 doesn't connect up like other lighting modules. It hooks up to the ESC rather than to the Rx. It further seems, it hooks up directly to the utility port of the Traxxas VXL-6s ESC. Traxxas sez in their advertising that this receptacle is voltage tapped directly from the battery (as opposed tapped from a BEC). Don't worry though, you're still not screwed, because there is another lighting setup for the Traxxas VXL-8s ESC and its' part number is TRA 7885.

http://blog.rcmart.com/rc-traxxas-ne...ing-soon-7885/
    From my research the power amplifier used in the new TRA7885 is same as that used in the TRA8485 kit. Just different led bars are used for the X-Maxx body.
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

When you get a chance, take a look at both kits in the "Parts and Accessories". It looks to me like the harnesses that hooks up from the lighting modules to their respective ESC's have a different plug on the ESC side of their harnesses.

RC Racer
    Ok got the controller hooked up to my esc on 8s. Everything came up on my app. The truck freaked out a bit but after a few power cycles everything came up. Waiting for lights to come in this week. Let you know how it goes
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Racer
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

How many pins do you have in your VXL8s Aux port? It looks like it has 4 pins. There is a stand alone harness that comes with the lighting kit. How does it hook up. It looks like it's used for remote programing. If you can post a picture of the installation instructions.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-07-2019 at 05:27 AM.

I might of found the answer to my own questions. Seeing a YouTube video, it looks like that small harness is a "Y" connector used for the two front lights. All the lights seem to connect to the A, B, C, and D receptacles, and the 4 socket plug coming from the lighting amp seems to go to the 4 pin AUX port of the Traxxas ESC. If this is all true, I don't see anyway of using the new Traxxas lighting kit without either having a VXL6s or VXL8s ESC. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-07-2019 at 06:49 AM.

RC poster
    Hello! Is it possible to connect the 7885 light directly to the lipo battery so that it works continuously? How many volts does the 7885 light itself consume?