RC Competitor

HW ESC choices for 4x4 Slash

So I have a EZRun Max 10 SCT with EZRun 3660 size 4000 kv motor that I was planning to use in my 4x4 Slash. That combo is now going into a 2WD Stampede, which puts me back into the market for a motor and ESC for the Slash 4x4.

Every motor/esc thread involves knowledgeable people asking the original poster how he/she uses the truck, so I will head that off at the pass. I don't have anywhere to race offroad nearby (or I would race). The truck is a basher that sees an impossible to predict mix of parking lots, grass, clay dirt oval, construction sites, baseball fields, cardboard box jump cul-de-sac tracks, an occasional BMX track, etc.

I run 2S the vast majority of the time and am unlikely to ever run more than 3S.

Hobbywing does not make it easy at all to choose between their ESCs - they give basically no information about each one, just confidently stating that each is the best for almost every application.

Does anyone know the difference between the following:
    1. Quicrun 10 BL120. 120 Amps, 2S to 3S. About $50.
    2. EZRun WP-SC8. 120 Amps. 2S to 4S. About $60.
    3. EZRun Max 10 SCT. 120 Amps. 2S to 4S. About $80.
    All are sensored. The Quicrun is a "budget" ESC for all 1/10 scale models. The WP-SC8 says it is for 1/10 4x4 and 1/8 buggy. The Max 10 SCT is for 1/10 4x4 and MT.

Is there any real difference between the WP-SC8 and the Max 10 SCT? If I don't care about 4S, is there any real difference between the 10BL120 and WP-SC8? Are there nuances of ESC programming that might make SC8 more appropriate for the larger can 1/8 motors while the others are more appropriate for 550 size motors? I have been out of the hobby since the resistor based speed control and Ni-Cd days, so I am easily intimidated by the process of picking a new drive system.

Let's put an imaginary 3S pack in each and some reasonable 550 can motor - say a 3600kv or 3200 kv. Will I be able to tell a difference in the three ESCs when driving? Is there even a theoretical reason why one might run cooler or better than the others?

Now let's switch to an imaginary Castle 2650kv or 2400kv motor. Will I be able to tell a difference in the three ESCs when driving? Is there even a theoretical reason why one might run cooler than the others?

In my mind, they all deliver 120 Amps max, and they all accept my 3S packs. What about one of these systems might make it deliver those 120 amps with more poise and grace than the others?

RC Qualifier
    I think that EZRUN max 10sct have 4A BEC so you can run stronger servo. SC8 is 3A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Excellent point.

I see that both the WP-SC8 and 10BL120 have 6V 3A BECs, while the Max 10 SCT has a switchable 6V/7.4V 4A BEC.

Thank you for pointing that out.

RC Qualifier
    I like the Quicrun bl10 120 with this motor. It rips on 2s and 3s! Run a capacitor or glitch Buster with a stronger servo. Done.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan-...cl1019/p485656

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I like the Quicrun bl10 120 with this motor. It rips on 2s and 3s! Run a capacitor or glitch Buster with a stronger servo. Done.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan-...cl1019/p485656

Did you have any problems without glitch buster?

RC Qualifier
    If you go sensorless, you can always go with this motor and Save some money.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan-...cl1004/p474295

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Did you have any problems without glitch buster?

I use a Savox 1256 in my monster truck so I run a glitch Buster with no problems at all. I've never tried it without the glitch Buster though. But a glitch Buster will cost you $5.

This gets a bit wordy, but describes my setup a bit and how I run it in my stampede 4x4.

I've been running the max10 sct/3660 3200kv in my stampede 4x4 on 3S for a couple weeks. Prior to that, it spent most of life with a castle sct sv3/3800kv system in it on 2S. When I switched to 3S, I figured it was probably a good idea to get a more capable esc and a lower kv motor before summer showed up. As it was, I only ran 3S in it after fall started and temps were at or below 60F.

So, now I have the max10 sct/3660 3200kv and so far, it's doing really well. I run 7200mah 3S SMC lipo's and get about 31 minutes of solid (and I mean almost always moving at a decent speed) running. I have run it twice now at a grass bmx track I found for about an hour each time, 2 packs worth. None of that run was easy on it. Lots of WOT and flipping. When I'm not there, I go to a few skate parks and local parks. At skate parks, things tend to run cooler as there's a lot of short quick WOT pulls to hit a jump out of the park into grass, then cruise back around to hit again. At the park though and bmx track, that's when things heat up as it's a lot of WOT running and of course, lots of grass. I don't think I've ever run it in dirt or sand as I don't have any of either.

My stampede is relatively heavy as I run MIP X-Duty axles, alloy axle carriers/c-hubs, traxxas GTR shocks (drilled 1/16th vdk/60wt with vg springs), homemade roll bar so the body doesn't die in 5 minutes, Proline trencher 2.8's on 17mm wheels with hot racing hubs, king headz motor mount with larger bearing, tekno center bone, hot racing steering rack, traxxas HD motor plate, fastlane machine alloy center diff cup and 250k in the center diff. I also have a hitec 5985MG servo for steering and I removed the BEC when I put in the HW system. The castle system only went up to 5.5V, so I ran a 4A BEC. The HW seems to do fine powering both the castle motor fan I put on the HW motor and the esc fan. I put a splitter in to use the esc fan plug to power both.

So far, I've only run the system when it was 40-50F outside as it hasn't warmed up here much (Norther IL). At the end of the first pack this weekend, the motor was at 110F and esc was 97F. I'm running 13/54 gearing. If the temps stay stable, I may go up to 14T.

I launch the thing like it owes me money and it just keeps going. Really love this little truck!

If you want to see how it does, this is from the last weekend:
    https://youtu.be/JD64yd7Wsvo

Check out my other recent vids as there's another there and at a skatepark when I broke the chassis in half. Everything else was the same setup.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Sorry I can't tell you the differences between those escs listed. What I can tell you is that WP SC8 is a great bashing esc for the buck. Grab the $10 program card for simple tweaks. I've used it for a couple years now to power multiple different motors with everything from 2s to 4s. It never flinches.It has been connected to all these at one time or another. Left to right: Velenion,Funny Car 2400kv, Kershaw 2700kv and Rc Gearshop 2150kv

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl