RC poster

A little sand in the front gear box under the bulkhead?

While fixing the steering on my Rustler I had to take the front bulkhead off exposing the gear box. Now obviously if you would have poured a cupful of sand in there everything would need to be cleaned and re assembled/greased but in my case just a few sand based particulates fell in and I was wondering if I really need to bother rebuilding the front gearing or should it function fine? Its so miniscule that if I had posted pictures you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

RC Qualifier
    I say just leave it. If it does end up shredding your diffs, just get new ones. Just as much work. And it is not too expensive

First, just curious, but are you talking about the front diff gears, or the front planet gears? Chalk that up to another reason I don't "play in the sand". I've thought about getting some paddle tires, and taking my Rusty 4x to the beach (Santa Cruz is only 45min away), but it's things like that which are keeping me from doing so.

Anyway, I'm not going try and tell you what you should do...but, I know what I'd do. As much of a PitA as it might be, I'd clean & re-grease (if diffs gears), or refill with diff fluid (if planet gears). Honestly, you should be able to have the job completed, and be up & running again, in an hour, it less.

The truth is, if one grain gets between the gears, it might not be instantaneously disastrous, but there's a high possibility that it would start the process, which could take months, or days, to "produce" the end result...again, not saying it WOULD, only that it COULD. With your real car, do you do preventative maintenance (oil changes, tune-ups, etc), or do you want until something breaks before fixing/replacing it?

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    First, just curious, but are you talking about the front diff gears, or the front planet gears?
    Just the front Diff gear. I was dumb and took off the front bulkhead from the bottom of the diff housing when swapping my steering assembly for an aluminum one. I hadn't properly cleaned the machine first and sand got in there a wee bit. Unfortunately I need to get a new ring gear and pinion because there's grinding between them after washing and regreasing (spelling). Just for poops and giggles I reassembled the whole machine to test it but the drive shaft is stiff (no play between the diff assemblies like it was out of the box) and the overall machine has very little roll (high resistance). So its been a Journey for sure learning RC but you have to learn somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebreezy View Post
    So its been a Journey for sure learning RC but you have to learn somehow.
    Oh, how I understand.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better