X-Maxx Blog Update...

Instead of making a new thread for the different things I break (lol - they're adding up) I want to create this blog to keep track of my repairs, issues and other things for my X-Maxx...

Today I was bashing and everything was going fine when I got a call. While I was talking I heard a weird noise coming from my X-Maxx. After the call I noticed the noise was a constant, whining noise coming from the front of my truck and the wheels were a little crooked and I had no steering. Turns out I stripped the servo. Just weird that all was fine until I stopped and took that call. ???

When I got home I inspected it a little more, then called Traxxas customer service. Super nice guy (Colton) had me do a calibration on the radio to adjust the “setting end points” but it didn’t help so he said he will mail out the plastic gears (Part #: TRA2087) to replace in the servo. The metal gears are (Part #: TRA2087X) and they’re about $30. So at least they are going to give me the plastic gears free which are worth $15!

I LOVE Traxxas' customer service!!!

So this past week at the construction site, I've managed to break...
    1. Right, front, lower suspension arm.
    2. Lost (but found again) the hinge pin to the left, rear, upper suspension arm.
    3. Strip the servo

I think the construction site is winning this battle guys! But even then I've only had to spend $10 for the broken suspension arm, so worth the fun I've had so far!!!

Here's a video of the sound the servo is making...
    https://youtu.be/KOhqpIml_Cc

Trying To Figure Out Broken Servo

Here's a video of what I'm talking out...
    https://youtu.be/emTfLtOUbmY

Traxxas said they will send me a new servo gear set so I can replace the stripped gear which happened this past Wednesday. But after taking the servo a part, I'm trying to figure out how things work and assumed the noise would stop once I turned the stripped gear around so the teeth mesh with the servo motor. Guess not? I'll have to wait until I get the new gear set to fully test things out but Traxxas said if I still have problems they will send me a new servo. Thanks Mike!

I've said this several times before...I LOVE TRAXXAS SUPPORT! They always meet and exceed my expectations and it's why I keep buying their stuff - b/c they stand behind it and help you out when you have trouble. Thanks Traxxas!!!!

...and I just found this on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ossSoV94q6U

Last edited by Nickerz; 03-29-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added Pic Of Servo Gear Set...

Got New Servo Gear Set From Traxxas...

I got the new gear set today (4/1), replaced the stripped gear and it worked! The "Bottom Reduction Gear" had missing teeth so I replaced only that gear, cleaned and rebuilt the servo and it works like a charm!

I took it out to test it today and all works good!

Thanks Traxxas! Best customer support around!!!

Here's the video (kinda long but helps with entire servo rebuild)...
    https://youtu.be/4cRsxjAVR6s

Here is are the instructions for the 2085 servo gear set...

Stripped Servo Again (3rd Time Now)...

I was bashing earlier today, have the whole thing on video and all 3 times that I've stripped the steering servo, it's always been when the truck is just sitting, doing nothing. My dog and I were taking a water break (lol) and then I heard that dreaded noise (loud, high-pitch noise) and I knew it was stripped. I was jumping it a lot today, but nothing too crazy but I know those plastic gears can't take it.

So I got home, opened up the servo and sure enough it was the "Bottom Reduction Gear" that stripped again. So I think I may just splurge and buy the Metal Gear Servo (TRA2085X) which is around $75 on eBay, although I could buy just the metal servo gear set which is like $30, so we'll see...

TRA2085X Servo Link...
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2085X

Video Link...
    https://youtu.be/KpfPTgkdFNU

Pics...

RC Qualifier
    A bit crazy a big expensive truck has plastic servo gears in the first place to be honest. The 2085x should be stock

Bought New METAL Servo Gear Set...

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    A bit crazy a big expensive truck has plastic servo gears in the first place to be honest. The 2085x should be stock
    Exactly! Plastic gears don't last with mine. It was nice though, Traxxas sent me a new plastic servo gear set again! But after I thought to myself...do I really want to keep opening the servo up to replace the plastic gears? So in the end I bought the metal servo gear set and I ended up installing them and testing them the day before yesterday.

Needless to say, they work great, no issues and I don't find myself trying to avoid big nasty jumps or extreme bashing. I really tested it out the other day and of course it held up. So hoping this won't be an issue again. The very first jump I ended up smashing the truck head on into a bulldozer at the construction site - so that was a great test and it kept tickin'!

Here are some pics...

I ended up stripping the "Bottom Reduction Gear" again (seen on the top right...)

Bought A New X-Maxx Body (Green - Part #: 7711G)...

Today I bought another green body which is the one that originally came with my 8S when I first bought it (Part #: 7711G - scroll to the bottom of the page). Now it's discontinued so it's hard to find them but a LHS helped me track it down!

So get this, when I visited my Hobbytown yesterday, they didn't have it in stock and since it's discontinued I knew I had to find a shop that might still have one sitting on their shelf. Turned out, the Hobbytown in Green Bay, WI had it in stock!!! To make a long story short, the Hobbytown in Green Bay (owner is Andy-very nice guy) agreed to ship it to me for free and even ship it to my address instead of my local Hobbytown!!!!

Total was $105.96 and I bought another Monster Energy sticker sheet off eBay the other day so my plan is to use this body as my shelf queen since I still LOVE the look of it, especially with the Monster stickers. My current body is still holding up like a champ since I did the drywall tape & ShooGoo mod (tough as nails btw).

The new X-Maxx green body (Part #: 7811G) is alright but I think it's too much bright green for my taste. Plus, the green body that came with my truck matches the Monster stickers and I really like that look and since they're discontinued, I wanted to get one last one!!!

So anyone in Green Bay, WI, be sure to support that shop & tell 'em Nick sent ya - lol j/k they'll say who?

Hobbytown USA
    (920) 490-9996
    https://www.hobbytown.com/green-bay-wi/l71
    2795 S Oneida St
    Green Bay, WI 54304

P.S. I have a lot of before & after pics of my X-Maxx going through a thorough cleaning & maintenance project that I started a few weeks ago but I'm taking my time to do it right and I'm waiting on some more parts to come in to finish the job. But I'll add to this blog later when she's completely finished and looking puuuurty and new again!

RC Racer
    2085x is junk too.

2085X Servo

Yeah, I didn't want to spend all that money on the 2085X servo $100+ The metal upgraded gears (2087X) in my original servo is working just fine and cost only $30 or less. I'm sure there are better quality servos and with more torque out there but if mine breaks, I'll replace it then...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 11-08-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Add links for servo & parts

LED Light Kit Backordered So Ordered From Another Hobbytown...

***Update To This Post***

So my LHS can't get the LED Light Kit for the X-Maxx and Traxxas shows it's still backordered with no ETA in sight. Last time this happened I ended up waiting 2 1/2 months for the Traxxas Ford-GT and I had to cancel it so I cancelled this order so I'm not waiting forever for this. But I placed a new order from another Hobbytown in Green Bay, WI who had it in stock! The same owner that helped me with mailing me my new X-Maxx body said he will simply add this in the same box and he shipped it today. FedEx shows it being delivered this Friday!

Cool X-Maxx LED Light Kit & New Green Body Came Today...

FedEx delivered both the Light Kit and new green body (Part #: TRA7711G) today!

Since I'm still waiting on some parts to finish up fixing her up and lookin' new again, I'll hold off installing the light kit until I can get all the electrics back in her and wire it all up since the receiver box and Rx will be easier to mess with.

Then when she's hanging on the wall, I'll use this new body for my shelf-queen and my old body will continue to be the basher. Traxxas discontinued this body as they have the new green fluorescent body (7811G) which I'm not really a fan of. But the 7711G came with my 8S originally and the green isn't overdone imo and matches the Monster Energy stickers perfectly, which I'm also waiting to arrive soon!

So she's coming along and when I'm all done, I'll post the pics of the tear down and rebuild later...

Last edited by Nickerz; 11-13-2020 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added pics...

RC Competitor
    Keep up the solid work!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    2085x is junk too.
    If the 2085x is junk, what do you suggest as a better alternative?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    If the 2085x is junk, what do you suggest as a better alternative?

If you want the best of the best, go for a PROMODELER:

https://www.promodeler.com/DS930BLHV

https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

With the 7749 adapter, of course, if you buy one of this servos, buy with the "beam mod", to fit in the X-Maxx enclosure for servo.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    If you want the best of the best, go for a PROMODELER:

https://www.promodeler.com/DS930BLHV

https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

With the 7749 adapter, of course, if you buy one of this servos, buy with the "beam mod", to fit in the X-Maxx enclosure for servo.
    Doesn't look like they post to the UK, sadly.

RC Champion
    Doesn't look like they post to the UK, sadly.

Sorry for this, but, try this shop, they are in UK and has an amount of servo brands.

https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.ph...ange+of+Servos

RC Racer
    Great, thanks!

RC Racer
    Apparently Promodeler do send to the UK, but the guy there seems to be a bit of a berk and not keen on answering basic questions.

Also, to run one of their servos you either need a separate BEC or an extra (2s) battery to power it. This means more complexity, more weight in the truck, having to find a way to mount an extra 2s battery, having to remember to charge an extra battery, plus the additional cost of the expensive servo and the battery, plus the mucking about trying to figure out how to get the thing to actually work, without the help of the guy selling it, because all he wants to do is belligerently point you to an article that doesn't have the required info.

Seems far easier to get the 2085x and know that it's a drop-in replacement designed to work in the X-Maxx. Also, it comes with an updated servo saver spring, which it doesn't appear you get with aftermarket servos.

What do people with aftermarket servos do? Just leave the stock servo saver spring in there or can you buy the 2085x spring on its own somehow?

Also, what's the benefit to an expensive fancy servo over the 2085x? Like a fraction of a second quicker lock to lock? Maybe a bit more torque? Or is there something really different that makes all the additional mucking about somehow worthwhile?

Cheers

RC Champion
    Apparently Promodeler do send to the UK, but the guy there seems to be a bit of a berk and not keen on answering basic questions.

Also, to run one of their servos you either need a separate BEC or an extra (2s) battery to power it. This means more complexity, more weight in the truck, having to find a way to mount an extra 2s battery, having to remember to charge an extra battery, plus the additional cost of the expensive servo and the battery, plus the mucking about trying to figure out how to get the thing to actually work, without the help of the guy selling it, because all he wants to do is belligerently point you to an article that doesn't have the required info.

Seems far easier to get the 2085x and know that it's a drop-in replacement designed to work in the X-Maxx. Also, it comes with an updated servo saver spring, which it doesn't appear you get with aftermarket servos.

What do people with aftermarket servos do? Just leave the stock servo saver spring in there or can you buy the 2085x spring on its own somehow?

Also, what's the benefit to an expensive fancy servo over the 2085x? Like a fraction of a second quicker lock to lock? Maybe a bit more torque? Or is there something really different that makes all the additional mucking about somehow worthwhile?

Cheers

You can use the PROMODELER with the internal BEC of VXL 8S perfectly in 6 volts. You can stiff the servo spring with a steel washer in the servo saver and put a metal servo link if you want. The aftermarket servos has an amount of more torque than the stock or 2085X.
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 11-24-2020 at 08:22 PM.

RC Racer
    You can use the PROMODELER with the internal BEC of VXL 8S perfectly in 6 volts. You can stiff the servo spring with a steel washer in the servo saver and put a metal servo link if you want. The aftermarket servos has an amount of more torque than the stock or 2085X.
    Are you sure? Promodeler themselves seem to suggest you can only run it from a separate BEC or battery.

The VXL 8S is the standard ESC/BEC in the X-Maxx, right?

RC Champion
    Are you sure? Promodeler themselves seem to suggest you can only run it from a separate BEC or battery.

The VXL 8S is the standard ESC/BEC in the X-Maxx, right?

The VXL 8S is the stock ESC, it has a 15 amp internal BEC.

RC Racer
    The VXL 8S is the stock ESC, it has a 15 amp internal BEC.
    Cool. Do you have a Promodeler servo in yours then?

I asked them earlier and they confirmed that it will work without an additional BEC or lipo.

Also, does anyone sell a stiffer spring to use with aftermarket servos, like the one you get with the 2085x?

RC Champion
    Cool. Do you have a Promodeler servo in yours then?

I asked them earlier and they confirmed that it will work without an additional BEC or lipo.

Also, does anyone sell a stiffer spring to use with aftermarket servos, like the one you get with the 2085x?

I have a JX 46kg instead the stock one, I stiff the servo saver spring with a steel washer, it's easy and cheap. For the PROMODELER, if you want to run it on 7.4 volts, you need a UBEC, of course, but if you want run on 6.0 volts, isn't necessary.

RC Racer
    I have a JX 46kg instead the stock one, I stiff the servo saver spring with a steel washer, it's easy and cheap. For the PROMODELER, if you want to run it on 7.4 volts, you need a UBEC, of course, but if you want run on 6.0 volts, isn't necessary.
    Presumably even on 6v the Promodeler should be much stronger than the stock servo?

How come you went for the JX instead of the Promodeler?

RC Champion
    Presumably even on 6v the Promodeler should be much stronger than the stock servo?

How come you went for the JX instead of the Promodeler?

I choose the JX for the price, is very affordable (45$ aprox.), and has 46kg/638oz. Of course, the PROMODELER in 6 volts are stronger than 2085X and stock one.

Finally Finished The Cleaning & Maintenance On X-Maxx 8S...

Let's see, I started this on 10/12/20 and did a complete teardown of this truck (LOVED every bit of it btw as the X-Maxx is really nice to wrench on and spare parts are CHEAP ranging from $3-$15) and I finally finished it this evening. What took so long was waiting for parts to come in and work in between. Also, since she was all cleaned up, I installed the light kit as I put her back together, which works great btw! I really wanted to take my time though and do a thorough cleaning to make it look new again! I ended up having her in pieces for 10 weeks exactly to today lol! So I started on 10/12/20 and finished tonight 12/21/20.

The only thing I have left to do is put the Monster Energy stickers on my new body (which they don't make this body any more but I was able to find one at another Hobbytown - see post #7 above in this thread...). So I'll continue to use my basher body and my new one will be my shelf-queen body!

So here's a list of things I did and bought for this teardown...
    1. Disassembled all parts.

2. Removed all electronics (cleaned fans, disassembled motor, cleaned bearing, dirt, grime).

3. Washed all plastic parts.

4. Cleaned/lubed bearings, diffs, gears. Then used oil and/or marine grease on them.

5. Bought RPMMega Bearing Blaster (Part #: RPM70420)

6. Kept all screws labeled and using my notes & the manual made sure all screws and proper sizes went back the way they came out - lol, I hope!. This can be challenging as there are many screws that are just a little longer than others and go in places close to others (i.e., 3x15, 3x18, 3x20, etc.) but using digital calipers and the manual I confirmed all went back to where they should go! Even found the wrong size screw used for my front bumper from the factory and was able to correct that - lol!

7. Replaced two 4x15 screws on front skid plate (stripped out) with M6x18 screws - probably would go with M5 screws next time but these worked like a charm and I also bought a spare front bulkhead just in case I need it down the road but I don't think I will as this totally worked!

8. Bought new Front Bulkhead (Part #: TRA7721) - didn't install yet...

9. Bought new Front Housing Differential (Part #: TRA7780) and installed it.

10. Bought new Front Skid Plates (Part #: TRA7716).

11. Bought new Green Body (Part #: TRA7711G)

12. Bought Body Reinforcement Set (Part #: TRA7710) for new body.

13. Bought new light kit (Part #: TRA7885) & installed it.

14. Bought new Shock Socks/Covers

15. Bought new Monster Energy stickers for my new body (haven't applied them to new body yet)

So here are a few pics before and after and some along the way but for a complete list of pics go here...

STARTED 10/12/20

for a complete list of pics go here...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 12-22-2020 at 02:48 AM.