RC Enthusiast

Aftermarket radio

What are the advantages of using a aftermarket radio over the traxxas TQI?

Get one with a screen and it's easier to setup and program for different models and bind to multiple models.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Depends which TQi you have. I have 1 with the bluetooth module makes basic setttings a breeze using the app. You can also setup telemetry to monitor your vehicle. I have mine setup for 3 vehicles. I think you can do up to 15.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

It boils down to what you like and what you want to do with your RCs.

I have never liked the feel of TQi radios, they just don't feel right is my giant hands. Spektrum and Futaba radios fit my hands really well, and Airtronics aren't bad either.

Unless you have the Bluetooth TQi, adjusting settings is a big pain, and I had chasing blinky lights. My Spektrum DC5R/C radios and very versital, easy to set up, easy to adjust, and the RXs can be had for around $15 (3 ch).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Depending on your application, range may be an issue as well...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Some aftermarket radios offer things that the TQi radios do not. Some have better range, some have lower latency, some have a higher quality feel, some move the app features off your phone onto the transmitter itself, some (most) make model configuration (much) easier, some offer cheaper receivers than Traxxas for people who want to control multiple models with a single Tx, some offer more channels to control more lights or accessories, etc. Whether you want and are willing to pay for any of those features is up to you.

I think the higher quality Futaba and Airtronics radios feel better that my TQis. I wish I could get the cheap FlySky receivers for my cars instead of the more expensive Traxxas ones. I don't like that my phone is a necessary part of my RC experience. I wish it was easier to set servo endpoints. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference, but I would like it if my movements of the trigger and wheel were even more instantaneously passed along to my steering servo and ESC. It would be cool to have rock lights and driving lights that were separately controlled, and another switch so I could activate a different drag brake setting for low speed driving. It would be comforting to know that if I wanted to do speed runs my truck would stay in control until well out of sight. Am I willing to pay for these benefits? No. My Traxxas radios are fine.

If you go with spektrum, make sure to get a reciever that has a bipole/coaxial antenna with a pigtail. The older/single wire receivers range is abysmal. Not sure if I just have a lot of interference in my entire town, but with those, I could barely go 200 feet. But, with receivers like the SR210, I can go further than I can see to control without issue. Really glad I found those receivers and they are fairly cheap.

I haven't used the TQi /w bluetooth but can't it be used with an iPod touch? I have been considering getting the bluetooth adaptor from CC and an older iPod touch I can devote to my RCs. But it is a pretty expensive setup for just some conveniences imo which has held me back on the fence about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I haven't used the TQi /w bluetooth but can't it be used with an iPod touch? I have been considering getting the bluetooth adaptor from CC and an older iPod touch I can devote to my RCs. But it is a pretty expensive setup for just some conveniences imo which has held me back on the fence about it.
    Just make sure the app is available for your iPod before you buy the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post
    Some aftermarket radios offer things that the TQi radios do not. Some have better range, some have lower latency, some have a higher quality feel, some move the app features off your phone onto the transmitter itself, some (most) make model configuration (much) easier, some offer cheaper receivers than Traxxas for people who want to control multiple models with a single Tx, some offer more channels to control more lights or accessories, etc. Whether you want and are willing to pay for any of those features is up to you.

I think the higher quality Futaba and Airtronics radios feel better that my TQis. I wish I could get the cheap FlySky receivers for my cars instead of the more expensive Traxxas ones. I don't like that my phone is a necessary part of my RC experience. I wish it was easier to set servo endpoints. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference, but I would like it if my movements of the trigger and wheel were even more instantaneously passed along to my steering servo and ESC. It would be cool to have rock lights and driving lights that were separately controlled, and another switch so I could activate a different drag brake setting for low speed driving. It would be comforting to know that if I wanted to do speed runs my truck would stay in control until well out of sight. Am I willing to pay for these benefits? No. My Traxxas radios are fine.
    This is a really good post!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i like the tq1 with bluetooth module. I used to have a flysky and eventually tossed it for the tqi

some say the traxxas radios have short range, but if I can get it all the way down the street and can't tell what way the car is facing, that's good enough for me. haven't had a problem yet

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Just make sure the app is available for your iPod before you buy the hardware.
    CC has a nice list of supported models and iOS versions so I know which one works with their system but if it also works for Traxxas just that much more I could use with it.

RC Enthusiast
    I had tested tqi and flysky gt3c range at same place two different vehicles. They both were exact same.

After the TQi transmitters with the red " I " kept failing on me, I bought a Futaba 3PL. It was a good transmitter with a few nice options. It had an amazingly long range! I did miss being able to utilize the telemetry on my Ultimate edition. So when I had a chance to get the new TQi with Bluetooth I retired the Futaba. I have never been dissatisfied with the range of the TQi since it can control my trucks past where I can see them.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post
    My Traxxas radios are fine.
    I agree, I've had a number of radios and my bluetooth TQi is just fine too.

Edit: Another thing, I've never had an update fail like I read on here
    quite often and I have three TQi's from the first day they came out.
    Last edited by Rich2; 03-30-2019 at 11:19 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info. The reason I ask is, I’m having issues were I turn my cars wheels one direction let off and my wheels go straight. Turn the other direction and let off and the wheels almost go straight but not all the way. I went to my local hobby shop and the tech said the problem is my “cheap traxxas radio. “ I don’t see a radio being the issue. I’ve changed the sevro and no help. I have a strc bellcrank, I’m gonna try to put the plastic one back in. What’s everybody’s thought on this?

Sounds like you might have a servo problem. It also sounds like the guy at your LHS might be a touch biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Sounds like you might have a servo problem. It also sounds like the guy at your LHS might be a touch biased.
    Also, not to bright. The radio doesn't have much to do with how a servo reacts, other than controls it. But if the spring in the transmitter isn't broken and it returns to center all the time, then odds are your servo, servo saver or steering linkage needs investigated.