RC poster

Question Over Tray without Body

Hi guys, first post here. I'm pretty new to RC and recently got my hands on a Rustler VXL. My question is, can I use an over tray as a body on its own without putting a standard body over it?? I really like the looks of them and was wondering if there are any downsides to using them on their own. Also, I know ESC overheating is a common complaint. I do plan to put screened vents in if I do it. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Personally, I have no experience with over trays...but, I can see multiple reasons for not using one as you're considering. First, the body protects the shock towers. The Rustler isn't a buggy, it has a higher CoG, and is more prone to flipping over, including landing on said shock towers. Second, over trays don't attach to the chassis (or shock towers, as the bodies do)...so, unless you have a way of attaching it to the chassis pan, when that vehicle flips, the overtray will probably come flying off, exposing everything to potential damage. There are other, albeit more minor, reasons, but, hopefully, you're starting to get the picture.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    I can definitely see why it's probably a bad idea now. I'm pretty motivated to find a way to make it work without overly compromising the integrity of the car, so I'll continue to look into ways to protect the shock towers and properly attach the tray to the body. It's definitely not something I want to use as a primary body though. More of a show piece of sorts.

RC Champion
    Just to clarify, the overtray does come with Velcro that attaches to the chassis. Iíve flipped my slash 4x4 end over end and ever had my over test come off. Not saying they are the best, not by far, but they do work well for keeping dust and debris out. And they are very low profile. Like said they do have some disadvantages. Like the shock towers being exposed. But so does making one a buggy. Iím sure there are other options if you look around, but the over tray isnít a bad deal if you keep the wing and lower the vehicle down. I am using one with a HCG chassis on a slash 4x4 and with the shocks placed in the outer most holes on the bottom of the a arms and the inner most holes on the shock tower, I donít have an issue with roll overs. Being a decent driver helps as well as setting the steering expo up to be slow. You donít want fast turns at high speed! At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide.

Talking about "buggy", there's a fairly easy way to protect the shock towers, and the to of the shocks - remove the body mounts, and replace with a cut section of small-diameter PVC or ABS pipe. That's what some people have done when building a BackSlash.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better