RC Competitor

ESC cutting out with two NiMH batteries in series

Have a question. Just got a 1/16 E-Revo VXL brushless truck. I installed a second 2080 steering servo and an Integy motor cooling fan. I also purchased a second 2925x NiMH battery and a 3063x series connector. Hereís my problem. When I have both batteries hooked up the truck will run for a minute or two and then the ESC shuts off. When I use only one battery it operates flawlessly. Are the extra servo and cooling fan causing it to shut off when Iíve got the two batteries running in series? Iíve got a couple of glitch busters on my work bench. Should I plug one into the receiver to store a little extra power? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    Is it possibly that the ESC is going into thermal shutdown? I know that with running batts in series that the motor and ESC get hot fast. Really only meant for speed runs with a cool down between passes. Not meant for running entire pack without stopping. You would be better off getting a parallel connector and using the dual batts that way. I am able to run an entire set of NIMH batts this way without causing thermal shutdown and speed is still pretty good. Gearing choice is important as well. Having a temp gun is a good idea and keeping an eye on the temps is also a good idea. Donít want to damage the motor or ESC. Heat is the enemy of these things. JMHO, but I would get the parallel connector and use the dual batts that way. That or if you are interested in speed runs look into some good 3s lipos. SMC makes some good ones for the 1/16th platform. Just some food for thought.

RC Competitor
    Thank you for the advice. I will purchase a parallel connector and have longer run time. There is a fella with a YouTube site called darkeclipticheart who does a nice MERV build. On his site he recommends some Lipo batteries that’ll fit. I’m used to installing a Racers Edge glitch buster to fix these kind of dilemmas. I do own a Craftsman infrared temperature gun. Thanks for the response.

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

When running your rig in series, did you change the pinion gear to the included 23T "high-speed" gear? If not, you will hit thermal shutdown quickly.

According to the manual (page 25):

High Speed Gearing
    The included high-speed pinion gear can be installed to increase the top speed of your model to 50+mph. This also requires the
    use of an additional battery (sold separately) and a Traxxas series connector (Part #3063, sold separately). See page 12 for more information.

50+mph Battery and Gearing Installation Instructions
    1. Install the included high-speed pinion gear as described in Pinion Gear Installation Instructions on page 24. Install the
    supplied battery as described on page 12.
    2. Install an identical Power Cell Series 1 battery (#2925) sold separately) in the opposite battery compartment.
    3. Plug both batteries into the Y-harness (sold separately). The harness connects the two packs in series. The two 7.2-volt 6-cell
    battery packs will operate as one 14.4-volt 12-cell battery pack.
    4. Plug the Y-harness into the speed control.

Precautions
    • The High Speed dual-battery and gearing configuration is for high-speed running only. Avoid repetitive hard acceleration to prevent over stressing the motor, speed control, and batteries.
    • Make certain both batteries are fully charged before installing them in your model. Installing a fully charged pack and a partially discharged pack may lead to over-discharging and damage to the partially discharged battery.
    • Do not mix batteries of different brands, chemistries, or capacities. Only genuine Traxxas batteries are approved for dual-battery use in this model.
    • Stop running your model and allow it to cool if the speed control’s thermal overload protection activates or if the motor temperature exceeds 200į F.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    My post was incorrect. Did not realize the "speed" pinion is actually smaller than the standard pinion thus gearing the truck down.

I own a 1/16 E-Revo VXL too, just haven't explored that avenue yet.

Sounds like the advice given above should at least net you less frequent thermal shutdown.

Carry on fellas
    Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; 03-31-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 350r View Post
    Wouldn't the high speed gearing put even more load on the motor and therefore the ESC causing the thermal shutdown issue to become even more frequent? Seems like the last thing you would do if having thermal shutdown down issues is to gear it up.
    The stock gear that comes installed is a 28T pinion.
    The "high-speed" gear is 23T.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Yessir I realize that now and corrected my post.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the input. I feel like a total mental midget! I neglected to see the four or five line part on the top of page 5 in the quick start guide. I’m old school and rely on the physical manuals that come with my vehicles. If I would have THOROUGHLY read the quick start guide I would have caught this. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention!