RC Competitor

Rustler 4x4 front shocks sagging

Hello. I have a 4x4 rustler with stock ultra shocks with progressive springs that seems to be sagging now after a recent run on 3s. First thing I did was changed out the shock oil before I ran it the very first time to 70wt oil. This is going to be a pure basher truck and I only had 70wt oil laying around. I have used spacers on the shocks and doesn’t seem to help. I can’t see any leaks and all the seals look good to me. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Rocketzx1; 03-31-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Dang...and to think, some people thought I was "crazy" when I put 40wt front & 45wt rear (in some of my vehicles, I'm running as light as 25wt) in one of my Rusty 4xs.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Sagging has less to do with oil weight, and more with preload and spring rate. Did you add any of the preload spacers that came in the plastic packaging?

RC Competitor
    Yes, I have the 2 biggest spacers my rustler came with on the front shocks. What are the stock progressive spring rates? May just have to get stiffer shocks for what I need, just wasn’t sure if there was something I could do without putting on stiffer springs. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Yes, I have the 2 biggest spacers my rustler came with on the front shocks. What are the stock progressive spring rates? May just have to get stiffer shocks for what I need, just wasn’t sure if there was something I could do without putting on stiffer springs. Thanks
    If you go to the support page on traxxas website, the exploded view of the front assembly lists the part numbers for the front springs. If it’s the blue dotted one, then You have the stiffest one already.

Are you running a heavy battery or something? I don’t recall mine sagged beyond normal range even with a 7cell NiMh.

RC poster
    My new Rustler 4 x 4 VXL front started sagging after about three hours running on a rough desert track.
    The springs started tight with the wheels hanging down. Now it takes about 3/16” to 1/4” spacer to get back to the new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Heli_av8tor View Post
    My new Rustler 4 x 4 VXL front started sagging after about three hours running on a rough desert track.
    The springs started tight with the wheels hanging down. Now it takes about 3/16” to 1/4” spacer to get back to the new condition.
    This would also be why, in one of my first upgrades on my first Rusty 4x, I replaced the Traxxas "Ultra" shocks with Pro-Line ProSpec shocks. As for the second Rusty 4x, don't ask...LOL...it's in the process of being converted into "something else".
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Im running a 5000mah 2s lipo, it doesn’t feel too heavy to me. And I checked out the exploded front view, and I do have the blue progressive springs. Are there other springs I could use that are stiffer that are not progressive springs? Or should I look at just getting another set of shocks altogether? Thanks for the help, you’ve all been a big help already

RC poster
    I was probably delusional thinking I could buy this car and just run it without doing a bunch of upgrades. I’ve been that route with helicopters and wasn’t looking for that kind of hobby.

But, when I see that it’s hopping all over the place and think that it could be handling much better I probably will get sucked in.

RC Qualifier
    Im running a 5000mah 2s lipo, it doesnít feel too heavy to me. And I checked out the exploded front view, and I do have the blue progressive springs. Are there other springs I could use that are stiffer that are not progressive springs? Or should I look at just getting another set of shocks altogether? Thanks for the help, youíve all been a big help already
    I know people have used Losi or Integy springs. But rather than spending money trying to tune the ultra shocks I would just get a set of slash 4x4 take off GTRs for eBay chopshops for around 60 bucks, my understanding is the bigger springs the GTR uses allows a wide range of rates and other supplier choices.

RC Competitor
    I really appreciate all of the ideas you all have tossed around here. I was looking at the gtr shocks, can get them off a platinum slash for 65 on eBay. Not bad IMO, comes without springs. Should I be looking for progressive springs or non progressive springs for straight up bashing use? Not entirely sure which, I don’t mind having to buy different stiffness springs to figure what I’m looking for, springs are fairly low in price.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    If you go to the support page on traxxas website, the exploded view of the front assembly lists the part numbers for the front springs. If it’s the blue dotted one, then You have the stiffest one already.

Are you running a heavy battery or something? I don’t recall mine sagged beyond normal range even with a 7cell NiMh.
    He said earlier that he was using a 3s.

RC Qualifier
    Hpi vorza has some really heavy duty shocks that would be ideal for bashing...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    He said earlier that he was using a 3s.
    You are missing the point. The 7 cell NiMH packs are heavy and heavier than most 3s packs I have. When the cars are sagging, it’s either the springs or the weight, and the only weight variable on these cars unless one changes other components to heavier parts, is the battery pack.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 04-02-2019 at 11:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I really appreciate all of the ideas you all have tossed around here. I was looking at the gtr shocks, can get them off a platinum slash for 65 on eBay. Not bad IMO, comes without springs. Should I be looking for progressive springs or non progressive springs for straight up bashing use? Not entirely sure which, I don’t mind having to buy different stiffness springs to figure what I’m looking for, springs are fairly low in price.
    My personal preference is for progressive springs so it ramps up deep into the travel so the car doesn’t slam as hard when coming down to a flat landing. YMMV.

VG sells some very nice progressive springs in all colors on eBay. They should be able to get you what you need if you contact them. (I don’t work for VG or otherwise am associated with them in any way)

I keep saying this and I still mean it, Traxxas NEEDS to sell an “ultimate” version of the Rustler 4x4 because they pretty much nailed the most needed upgrades with the ultimate and platinum sl4sh models.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 04-02-2019 at 12:05 PM.

RC Competitor
    My personal preference is for progressive springs so it ramps up deep into the travel so the car doesn’t slam as hard when coming down to a flat landing. YMMV.

VG sells some very nice progressive springs in all colors on eBay. They should be able to get you what you need if you contact them. (I don’t work for VG or otherwise am associated with them in any way)

I keep saying this and I still mean it, Traxxas NEEDS to sell an “ultimate” version of the Rustler 4x4 because they pretty much nailed the most needed upgrades with the ultimate and platinum sl4sh models.

Thanks for the advice, you’ve been a huge help. I’ll check out VG when I get home after work. Hopefully by next week my new rustler 4x4 will be riding on new shocks and springs, ready for some big air! Can’t wait to get back to bashing

RC Qualifier
    sure thing, hope you get it set up the way you like it.

I forgot to mention. I also learned from this thread

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...on-my-ultimate

about Associated spring tuning kits 91071 front and 91077 rear that each contains 8 springs, you get a pair of springs of 4 different weights, so 16 springs total, for 17 dollars total. Might be a worthwhile option to look into before you spend 14-15 on a set of 4 VG ones. They are linear rate, but you would then have the option of really dialing in for any one situation. Or do what I did, get both.

Here's the link to VG Racing's GTR springs:
    https://www.vgracing.com/product/GTR_Springs.html
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    sure thing, hope you get it set up the way you like it.

I forgot to mention. I also learned from this thread

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...on-my-ultimate

about Associated spring tuning kits 91071 front and 91077 rear that each contains 8 springs, you get a pair of springs of 4 different weights, so 16 springs total, for 17 dollars total. Might be a worthwhile option to look into before you spend 14-15 on a set of 4 VG ones. They are linear rate, but you would then have the option of really dialing in for any one situation. Or do what I did, get both.
    The team assosciated rear spring set is softer than the front set? It has lower spring rates than the assosciated 91071. Is that how itís supposed to be? If so Iíll prolly just get those and the vg racing springs and see what I like best. I kno I said earlier I used 70wt oil, because itís all I have right now, but should I stick with the higher weight oil or go with lower weight oil for bashing?

RC Qualifier
    The team assosciated rear spring set is softer than the front set? It has lower spring rates than the assosciated 91071. Is that how it’s supposed to be? If so I’ll prolly just get those and the vg racing springs and see what I like best. I kno I said earlier I used 70wt oil, because it’s all I have right now, but should I stick with the higher weight oil or go with lower weight oil for bashing?
    the rear shocks are quite a bit longer than the front, and the whole system deals with combination of many factors like spring rate, stroke length, and where the shocks are mounted on the tower and arms determine also leverage ratio and if the leverage is a falling, rising, or more linear rate as the shock travels through its stroke, not to mention rear needs a good deal of sag to allow the wheels to track rough terrain better to stabilize the rear biases weight.

oil weight is one of those things like opinion and.....the other thing, everyone's got one. but 70wt is probably a good match if you run some of the stiffer springs, keeps the shocks from getting damaged from overly quick top out extensions on the rebound stroke. I recall when I tried the two stiffest rates on front and rear, they were stiff with a capital S. For the lighter springs through I would suggest try 40 or 50 wt too, else the 70wt will cause the suspension to pack and unable to extend in time for hits following the a compression. If you do mostly big jumps and drops with one big hit, I suppose you would be running the stiff springs anyway then you might even try 80 wt.

I remember in my 2 wheeled days, we always used the heaviest shock and fork oil we could so the bike doesn't buck us.

Now I feel old. LOL

RC Competitor
    Again, thank you for all your advice. I absolutely enjoy this rustler 4x4 and I want to set it up correctly for what I want to use it for. The build quality is really good, and outside of shock/springs I’m very happy with the whole truck! I am going to order the shocks and springs Friday. Thanks again for all your help!

RC poster
    My front and rears were both like that. The springs are super soft and needed most of the clips so the chassis wasn't sagging. Even without the battery they looked like they were loaded heavy, let alone after adding the 2s or 3s pack. I ordered the GTR shocks and VG springs and heavier oil. The VXL springs were twice as soft as the regular rustlers. Probs the reason all my shock shafts bents the rears blew out after 3-4 run on a brand new truck.