RC poster

Question Rustler vxl gearing and battery

Hey fellas, new to the rc world. I recently bought a rustler vxl that has a few upgrades. One of them happens to be steel gears pinion and spur. Both steel and spur has 3 bolts that hold it to clutch. The gears are 58 spur and 18 pinion..... is this a good gear ratio for playing in the yard but keep quick speeds when on road and keeping the motor at a good temp? It has a venom 5000 miliamp 20c 2 cell battery.... anyways my point is I'm wanting a longer lasting battery with good power and good gears if those aren't good for my purpose. Another question is when I charge battery fully. Then I take it out and only get about 5 mins of play before it goes into low voltage mode. Put it on the charger and it has 3.81 in each cell.
    I'm needing recommendations on if the gearing is good for my purpose and also the best battery there is for long run time and is the low voltage coming on at the right time? I hope you all would understand what I'm getting at.
    Last edited by Bigjerm; 03-31-2019 at 05:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Seems like a weird set of gears for a Rustler, but as long as the motor is staying at a safe temperature you are fine. Get a temperature gun off of Amazon, and check the motor every few minutes while you are running the truck. You don't want it to be higher than 160F.

For the LVC, 3.8v per cell should be enough, but if the battery is bad, it could be dropping quickly. I'd get a low voltage alarm on Ebay, and then you can plug it in to your balance lead while running the truck to see if the voltage is dropping, if it is then the battery is bad. if LVC comes on while the battery has more than like, 3.3v per cell, it might be the esc. Try turning LVC off on the esc and see what happens. If you need to replace your battery, Floureons work well, Awanfi works well, many other higher end brands work well too, but the higher end stuff will cost more. I'd just get a Floureon.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    Seems like a weird set of gears for a Rustler, but as long as the motor is staying at a safe temperature you are fine. Get a temperature gun off of Amazon, and check the motor every few minutes while you are running the truck. You don't want it to be higher than 160F.

For the LVC, 3.8v per cell should be enough, but if the battery is bad, it could be dropping quickly. I'd get a low voltage alarm on Ebay, and then you can plug it in to your balance lead while running the truck to see if the voltage is dropping, if it is then the battery is bad. if LVC comes on while the battery has more than like, 3.3v per cell, it might be the esc. Try turning LVC off on the esc and see what happens. If you need to replace your battery, Floureons work well, Awanfi works well, many other higher end brands work well too, but the higher end stuff will cost more. I'd just get a Floureon.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah I thought so to.
    What battery would you recommend from floureon for it and it have plenty of power and longevity?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    Seems like a weird set of gears for a Rustler
    Sounds like a set of 32p spur and pinion gears.

RC poster
    I took the car out when I got home today. Charged the battery last night to 4.20. When I got home it was at 4.15v. Anyways took it out for a spin and went into low voltage within a minute. Checked voltage and it was still 4 something volts. Then it continues if I restart and give full throttle with 100% throttle on. Changed it to training mode and it would do better for longer but still same issue. I kept monitoring voltage but turned low voltage off and it done good. Can someone tell me the issue?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah I thought so to.
    What battery would you recommend from floureon for it and it have plenty of power and longevity?
    I have a couple Floureon 2s 5200mah 30c lipos for a few years now work pretty well for me.

On your lipo and LVC issue get a cheap lipo alarm plug it in and see if your battery is dumping voltage when under load.