Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    14

    Okay so i know the front shock tower not real rustler. what else isn't stock

    I got this used, well the guy built it with new 4x4 parts but from another car. it had a 12T titan in it im putting the brush less system in but trying to figure out what parts i would need to make it a real rustler. can anyone take a look and let me know.. also if you recognize any of the parts that are on it like the stocks and front shock tower. i dont see names on them thanks

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlm...re=em-comments

  2. #2
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,498
    Shocks look like Hosim (probably known by other names as well) found on Amazon.

    Tires/rims from a Stampede.

    Get that 5700kv motor out of there as it is too small for that vehicle. However, if it has the brushed ring/pinion on the differential then it would be a little better. Go with a stronger motor and install the ring/pinion from a brushless.

    Probably a sway bar for the Slash 4x4.

    Probably Traxxas blue hub carriers, knuckles, c-hubs, motor mount, front shock tower and servo saver.

    If you want to know the stock parts just download the exploded views through the Support button above.
    The Super Derecho

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Shocks look like Hosim (probably known by other names as well) found on Amazon.

    Tires/rims from a Stampede.

    Get that 5700kv motor out of there as it is too small for that vehicle. However, if it has the brushed ring/pinion on the differential then it would be a little better. Go with a stronger motor and install the ring/pinion from a brushless.

    Probably a sway bar for the Slash 4x4.

    Probably Traxxas blue hub carriers, knuckles, c-hubs, motor mount, front shock tower and servo saver.

    If you want to know the stock parts just download the exploded views through the Support button above.

    Thank you for the reply I am not sure what you mean by the brushed ring/pinion on the differential.. I have ordered some smaller pinions to try. when you say to small for it do you mean as in KV or what? this 5700 was in a 2wd rustler and always did great.
    i learned the stock rustler 4x4 only comes with a 13t pinion tho so hoping that will get the temps down.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
    Thank you for the reply I am not sure what you mean by the brushed ring/pinion on the differential.. I have ordered some smaller pinions to try. when you say to small for it do you mean as in KV or what? this 5700 was in a 2wd rustler and always did great.
    i learned the stock rustler 4x4 only comes with a 13t pinion tho so hoping that will get the temps down.
    Not as in kv, as in itís too small for the vehicle. For 1/10, and certainly for 4wd. Brushes vehicles have different differential gear ratios.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Not as in kv, as in it’s too small for the vehicle. For 1/10, and certainly for 4wd. Brushes vehicles have different differential gear ratios.
    but it was made for 1/10th.. 2wd yes but the old rustler was a 1/10 sized truck.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
    but it was made for 1/10th.. 2wd yes but the old rustler was a 1/10 sized truck.
    Okay, but you can look in your video and wonder where the other 1/3 to 1/2 of your motor is. I think youíre gonna look for gearing combos that will work, and just be disappointed.

  7. #7
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
    but it was made for 1/10th.. 2wd yes but the old rustler was a 1/10 sized truck.
    Correct, but the 2wd Rustler was lighter and has half the drive train resistance of the 4wd Rustler. That is like putting in a VTEC Civic engine in a 4wd 1/2 ton pickup - it may have adequate horsepower but it doesn't have the torque to throw it around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle Application Guidelines
    1:10 scale 2WD SCT, on-road touring, stadium truck and buggies
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle's Max Recommended vehicle weight
    2WD SCT up to 5lbs, stadium trucks, buggies, and on-road vehicles up to 4lbs
    You can certainly use it if you want but the truck would perform much better with a stronger motor.
    The Super Derecho

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Correct, but the 2wd Rustler was lighter and has half the drive train resistance of the 4wd Rustler. That is like putting in a VTEC Civic engine in a 4wd 1/2 ton pickup - it may have adequate horsepower but it doesn't have the torque to throw it around.




    You can certainly use it if you want but the truck would perform much better with a stronger motor.

    So what motors would you recommend?

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
    So what motors would you recommend?
    Iíd get a 3660 size can or larger.

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I’d get a 3660 size can or larger.
    so something like this? https://www.ebay.com/p/Hobbystar-366...9728842&chn=ps

    I was asking about brands, i am mostly a air guy i fly planes, helicopters, quads, i don't know about car truck brands, besides the stock traxxas stuff and castle.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,199
    That size and kv would be okay. Youíd have to gear down to control temps. Iíd stay 2500kv to 3500kv. I have leopard, Poseidon,
    And GoolRC. Iíve been happy with them all. MyP4de I have a 2600kv 3660 GoolRC motor, thatís the closest thing I have to a Rustler 4x4. The motor is cheap, fast, and reliable.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    401
    How is the top speed on 3s with the gool rc 2600 kv motor?

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    How is the top speed on 3s with the gool rc 2600 kv motor?
    Depends on gearing. Iíve got mine running 45ish, geared 11/50.

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    That size and kv would be okay. You’d have to gear down to control temps. I’d stay 2500kv to 3500kv. I have leopard, Poseidon,
    And GoolRC. I’ve been happy with them all. MyP4de I have a 2600kv 3660 GoolRC motor, that’s the closest thing I have to a Rustler 4x4. The motor is cheap, fast, and reliable.
    Thanks i will check those out. someone else said somewhere else a GoolRc motor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •