RC poster

Optidrive in revo 3.3

Got a revo 3.3 pre-owned, and it doesn't have the optidrive module installed. atm the truck runs pretty great without it. Should I buy one from somewhere and install it? Would it improve anything with the transmission/shifting or general performance?

I'm also doing a build, so any suggestions for upgrades from stock revo?
    Thanks

Many people that had them removed them because they would freak out and make stuff not work right. All they do is keep you from shifting from forward to reverse while the truck is moving. As long as you stop before shifting, you will be fine. Most people ditch reverse altogether with a FOC to remove rotating mass and the 3rd servo.

I haven't had reverse in a revo so long, I forgot what it was like until I got the ERBEv1 a couple years ago. lol!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFT/BASH View Post
    Got a revo 3.3 pre-owned, and it doesn't have the optidrive module installed. atm the truck runs pretty great without it. Should I buy one from somewhere and install it? Would it improve anything with the transmission/shifting or general performance?

I'm also doing a build, so any suggestions for upgrades from stock revo?
    Thanks
    Before you spend the money on the servo. Check the transmission and make sure it still has the reverse gears in it. If it already has a forward only conversion in it, you will need to buy the reverse kit but I am pretty sure it comes with the micro servo in that kit.

I would take your stock rod ends right now and super glue the threading, it helps a ton. Make sure you get your toe in and out rods marked up where you want them before you glue them. I am still running stock a arms and push rods and holding up okay. My skid plates are starting to get pretty hammered so may put some aluminum ones on, or.....just buy a can of spray bed liner and coat stock in bed liner. I also bought the Canyon All Terrain 3.8 tires for mine.

RC poster
    Picked up some Proline 3.8 Trenchers and a Chevy C-10 body. Have used trenchers on other vehicles before, so I know they are going to be great. Also looking at wings.... I'll post some pics and maybe a video when I'm done the build.

That's a lot of tire on a revo. I had to take them off my ERBEv1. Was just too much strain on the suspension. Kept ripping shock ends off and push rod ends. My last outing blew the VDK disk in half on one front shock and snapped the shock shaft on a rear one. Wasn't that bad of a landing. Too bad as I really like those tires on it... but they need to move to something else. I ended up putting a set of t-maxx 3.3 tires on it. Not nearly as thick of a sidewall, so they get cut up a lot at skate parks, but at least I don't blow shocks apart constantly.

Now back to these as that's what I had on it before:

RC Champion
    I liked the trenchers also but I tore up a lot of axle shafts with them. I went with some badlands and time will tell on those. I didnt care for reverse 60% the time it worked every time. So I went with forward only at first and then a center diff after I converted to brushless. If you do a center diff you are gonna need to add breaks to the rear of the trans.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

I put a spare set of kraton tires on one of my nitro revo's. They are quite light and if they hold up to the craziness guys do with their 6S kraton's, they should hold up fine for me on a 21TM revo. lol!

Not sure what I'm going to do with the spare set of trencher 3.8's I have. Maybe gear down my SavageX and throw them on there. I have a set on my savage flux hp and it does fine...

Wait, can't, my X doesn't have the wide axles and they will rub the shocks. I have a set of traxxas geode's on there now with the t-max 3.3 tires. They are 1/2" offset and don't rub on stuff. Maybe I can source some extended axle stubs... annoyed that I have $100 worth of tires that I really like, but can't use. lol!

RC Competitor
    I just finished breaking in my new Revo 3.3 today and I was plagued throughout the entire process by random loss of control of the throttle servo only. I could steer, but I could not brake or let off the throttle. Pretty scary! I checked all connections for the throttle at the RX and Optidrive and couldn't find a problem. I fiddled around with it trying to find the problem several times during break in. Finally today, a quick Google search of the subject and I got several hits for this very forum and saw where it was suggested that the Optidrive causes this symptom. I removed the Optidrive and got through an entire tank without even a hint of a single occurrence of this problem. Unfortunately my truck battery died as I was finishing the last tank of fuel. But at any rate, it seems as though the Optidrive was my problem. I'll just make sure she's at a complete stop before attempting to shift the transmission.

I've been bashing around with an old 1st Gen T-Maxx Pro 15 I bought used and fixed up....this Revo is an absolute beast in comparison! And now I don't have to worry about it launching itself into a tree or something!
    Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; 04-21-2019 at 04:39 PM.

RC poster
    Here is a video I put together. So far loving the upgrades. Tire size hasn't seemed like a problem yet.