Thread: DIY ID Adapter

RC Enthusiast

DIY ID Adapter

Hey guys. Brand new here and to the RC car world. I've been flying helis for years but I just recently bought my son a Traxxas Slash 2wd. It's a lot of fun and I purchased a new Traxxas ID battery today, since I had to buy the charger the other day as mine decided to bite it.

Flying helis I had a low voltage alarm connected to my batteries through the balance plug so I didn't run the cells under 3.8v. The new Traxxas battery doesn't have one. I've seen pics of the adapter and think I can make it since I already have the parts and am pretty good with soldering.

Any issues with this idea?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums and car hobby!
    I have no idea about your idea, but I'm pretty sure that the slash has a low voltage detecter built into it, so you will be fine running it for a while.

I didn't run the cells under 3.8v
    In case you did not already know this: lipos can get lower than 3.8v per cell, that is the ideal storage charge. IMO you will be safe down to 3.5v per cell. Ive had a couple get down to 3v per cell, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    Iím not to sure youíll be able to find all the parts you will need. Of course the balance plugs will be easy to find but the traxxas battery connects are another thing. Even if you did find them they might not have all the tabs inside to solder to. In a quick search I wasnít able to find much but I did find these on Amazon:

HobbyStar Traxxas ID Charge Lead Adapter Set, 2S-4S Adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076N68H4G..._4ESOCbRD0WVM9

That might be the best option and that way you donít have to go cutting anything apart just a quick connect. But Iím not expert on the topic, just my two cents...
    Personally I run all Gens Ace batteries and love them, great quality and I use xt60 connector, their just more universal and easy to solder on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rants86 View Post
    I’m not to sure you’ll be able to find all the parts you will need. Of course the balance plugs will be easy to find but the traxxas battery connects are another thing. Even if you did find them they might not have all the tabs inside to solder to. In a quick search I wasn’t able to find much but I did find these on Amazon:

HobbyStar Traxxas ID Charge Lead Adapter Set, 2S-4S Adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076N68H4G..._4ESOCbRD0WVM9

That might be the best option and that way you don’t have to go cutting anything apart just a quick connect. But I’m not expert on the topic, just my two cents...
    Personally I run all Gens Ace batteries and love them, great quality and I use xt60 connector, their just more universal and easy to solder on top.

Fair enough. The extra balance pins on the ID plug look easy enough with pins. I've seen a couple of adapters with the wires that you plug into this side wires on the ID plug.

The only reason I want to to this route is because I have the plugs (coming) and I'm in Canada. The cheapest I could find that adapter was $45. It's the shipping that kills me.

I did buy an aftermarket battery to start with but I wanted something easy for my parents and wife to plug in for him when I'm not around. Plus we needed a second battery. That price tag though. Whoa.

Last edited by Double G; 04-02-2019 at 08:21 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by t_dogg80 View Post
    Fair enough. The extra balance pins on the ID plug look easy enough with pins. I've seen a couple of adapters with the wires that you plug into this side wires on the ID plug.

The only reason I want to to this route is because I have the plugs (coming) and I'm in Canada. The cheapest I could find that adapter was $45. It's the shipping that kills me.

Ok makes sense, I’ve bought and shipped stuff to and from Canada before and shipping was always a killer. It’s crazy how cheap it is to get stuff shipped from China... Anyway good luck and I hope you figure something out. If you do keep us in the loop I’d like to see what you figure out. Cheers

Last edited by Double G; 04-02-2019 at 08:22 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Will do. I wired up some LEDs as headlights on the body today and she looks sweet. I'll take a pic in a minute. I need to know what my battery levels are at though.

What do you guys do? Just time it?

I like stopping at 3.8v because I can pretty much just store them after instead of storage charging them. I find the LiPo alarm goes off at 3.8v under use and they're usually right at 3.86v when I stop.

I'm lazy.

RC Competitor
    Sweet bet it looks nice Iíve been thinking about doing lights on one of my cars just havenít gotten to it yet. Yeah Iím kinda lazy to hate to admit it but I do the same most of the time. I used to use low voltage alarms, and you could always use the built in voltage cutoff in most esc. I think the traxxas vxl is semi programmable donít quote me on that. But I know the xl5 can be used with Lipo and has a low voltage cut off which I believe is set to 3.6 to 3.8 volts. Recently Iíve been using the traxxas tqi and monitoring battery voltage on my phone with telemetry. But that kind of pricey just to monitor voltage. The built in lipo cut off is always a pretty safe bet and most esc have it and itís programmable to whatever you want. What system are you using?

RC Enthusiast
    I've always used the lvc as a backup big I'm new to land RC. When lvc his in a heli is to late. Lol

I'm not ready to start spending a ton on this yet. My wife is still getting over the heli prices and crash repair. But I do love this and I have a lot to my future doing cars so far.

That being said, it's been a blast and these lights made it even better tonight. I'll do red ones on the back soon.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I can understand that, I had a friend that was into helicopters and I couldnít believe how much he dumped into them...

Land isnít as scary though, you donít have to worry about you expensive toy falling out of the sky. With the esc cutoff your car has will just see the battery is low and shut off and come to a stop.

That looks great by the way. Iíve never thought to do it that way I was always just going to buy a kit and retrofit it. But that looks like itíll work just as good. I would like to be able to turn it off/on from my transmitter thought, but thatís a luxury. Glad to hear your enjoying yourself so far!

RC Enthusiast
    Finished this last week. Works great. Now I use my good lipo charger and not the traxxas one for the Traxxas ID battery. I'll keep the Traxxas charger for my wife and parents to use for my kid's car when I'm out of town. I even made the 3s to 2s adapter in anticipation of getting a 3s soon!

Can't buy these anymore because Traxxas, so I had to make one. Glad I did. I love soldering. Lol

Last edited by t_dogg80; 04-16-2019 at 09:37 PM.