RC poster

Brushless upgrade Slash 4x4

Hello everyone i currently own the Traxxas Slash 4x4 brushed 1/10, would it be worth upgrading my motor and esc to a brushless setup? if i do this what other components would you recommend upgrading? Is the Slash 4x4 brushed parts too weak for brushless? lastly would it be worth just buying the Slash 4x4 VXL instead of upgrading my current truck.
    Last edited by Snow; 04-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Out of the box the truck is able to handle 2S brushless power with no issues. If/when you go to 3S, you will need to start upgrading parts like the back drive shafts

Also, what batteries are you running? The Traxxas VXL system works ok with NiMH, but anything more powerful than that and you will cook NiMH because they cannot supply enough amperage.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor

Welcome!

Having seen GS's post, he makes a good point - brushless motors can be hard on NiMH batteries. So when evaluating the upgrade keep in mind that going brushless probably also means going Lipo, which for some means new batteries and a new charger.

1. Yes; in my opinion the experience with this truck is significantly enhanced with brushless. With 2S Lipos and hard running the brushes of the Titan will wear/burn out, and you will find yourself getting a lot of experience setting gear mesh as you replace motors. Brushless motors last a very long time unless overheated. Plus brushless is much faster and accelerates quicker.

2. While there are lots of components that people will recommend that you upgrade to bulletproof the truck, the brushed 4x4 is basically the same truck as the brushless 4x4. You really don't have to upgrade anything else.

3. Depends on whether you want one more truck and 255 fewer dollars in your pocket. A 4x4 VXL is about 380, but you can trade in your brushed motor and ESC plus $125 for the TRX brushless setup through the trade up program. This is about the same price as buying that setup from a chop shop. Of course, there are cheaper options and better options, but I'm really unaware of any that are both significantly better and significantly cheaper. If you go with a non-TRX setup be careful that it's a setup for the 4x4 Slash, as the 4x4 is a good bit heavier than the typical 1/10 2WD RC and requires a tougher ESC, particularly on 2S.
    Last edited by BMcD308; 04-02-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post

2. While there are lots of components that people will recommend that you upgrade to bulletproof the truck, the brushed 4x4 is basically the same truck as the brushless 4x4. You really don't have to upgrade anything else.

Well, sort of. Of top of my head brushed 4x4 come(or at least used to) with the non-adjustable camber links and turn buckles, and the cheap 2056 servo, and plastic drive shaft. Itís a much steeper down grade than going from a 2wd vxl to 2wd brushed.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Out of the box the truck is able to handle 2S brushless power with no issues. If/when you go to 3S, you will need to start upgrading parts like the back drive shafts

Also, what batteries are you running? The Traxxas VXL system works ok with NiMH, but anything more powerful than that and you will cook NiMH because they cannot supply enough amperage.
    Thanks for the reply, i use 2s 7200mah 80C lipo batteries currently. I have already upgraded my driveshaft due to a rock getting stuck in there and chewing the stock one up

RC poster
    yes my brushed has the non-adjustable camber links and turn buckles. i'd have to double check on the servo when i get home, it also does have plastic drive shafts

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post
    Having seen GS's post, he makes a good point - brushless motors can be hard on NiMH batteries. So when evaluating the upgrade keep in mind that going brushless probably also means going Lipo, which for some means new batteries and a new charger.

1. Yes; in my opinion the experience with this truck is significantly enhanced with brushless. With 2S Lipos and hard running the brushes of the Titan will wear/burn out, and you will find yourself getting a lot of experience setting gear mesh as you replace motors. Brushless motors last a very long time unless overheated. Plus brushless is much faster and accelerates quicker.

3. Depends on whether you want one more truck and 255 fewer dollars in your pocket. A 4x4 VXL is about 380, but you can trade in your brushed motor and ESC plus $125 for the TRX brushless setup through the trade up program. This is about the same price as buying that setup from a chop shop. Of course, there are cheaper options and better options, but I'm really unaware of any that are both significantly better and significantly cheaper. If you go with a non-TRX setup be careful that it's a setup for the 4x4 Slash, as the 4x4 is a good bit heavier than the typical 1/10 2WD RC and requires a tougher ESC, particularly on 2S.
    Thank you for the reply, i wasn't aware of the "trade up program" i will have to check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    yes my brushed has the non-adjustable camber links and turn buckles. i'd have to double check on the servo when i get home, it also does have plastic drive shafts
    If you have the plastic center shaft it is really the only super weak point that needs upgrading to the Traxxas metal one stock in the VXL. If going with a basic brushless setup but if you go get something with serious power then the list can get pretty long on what needs upgrading.

RC Competitor
    A guy asking the OPs question is probably considering a BL system that is similar to the VXL system. If he had said that he had a brushed Slash and just bought a 1/5 scale system and some 8S packs I would be giving a different set of answers.

One of the trucks in the home fleet has the plastic driveshaft and SO FAR it has not broken since the BL swap. It is run 2S only on the older 2 pole Velineon so maybe we are babying it enough.

I donít consider things like adjustable camber links to be a must do upgrade until they break. The only trucks I have then on are 2wd stampedes and a 2wd slash. Those trucks have broken plenty of parts but I guess Iíve been lucky on the plastic camber links. One nice thing about the non adjustable plastic links is that you donít see a lot of trucks with stock plastic links and wonky camber and toe angles.

Same for the servo. Is it a kick booty Servo that pro drivers use at the track? No. Is it it fine for now for a guy who is asking the OPís question? Yeah.

When he comes back asking for better steering and more adjustability I will be all about these other upgrades. But when heís here asking if the truck will run a BL motor Iím not inclined to recommend a major overhaul of the vehicle.
    Last edited by BMcD308; 04-03-2019 at 12:49 PM.

RC poster
    I've recently upgraded my Stampede 4x4 from the VXL (which for the price is pretty disappointing tbh)

I've gone for a RaceStar 3300Kv 4 pole 3660 can and a Hobbywing WP-SC8. On 2S geared 14/54 it rips along but did bust the rear shafts quickly!

I went with a Castle #1512 2650kv motor/Monster Mamba X 1/8 ESC in my Slash 4x4 recently. It's wicked fast and fun, wheelies galore. Not a cheap date, but well worth the cost of dinner for what you get afterwards.
    Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd, TRX-4 Defender & Sport

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    I went with a Castle #1512 2650kv motor/Monster Mamba X 1/8 ESC in my Slash 4x4 recently. It's wicked fast and fun, wheelies galore. Not a cheap date, but well worth the cost of dinner for what you get afterwards.
    I would echo this. I bought a 2wd slash at Christmas for my son. Then we decided we needed a 4x4. Other than the 4x4 being a little tougher to keep even on the jumps it was the right move. But...we wanted faster so we bought the vxl velineon setup. It got too hot on 3s. So we upgraded again to the Mamba Monster X and 2650kv. Now we have what we wanted!......but you'll need some upgrades at a minimum the rear axles and aluminum shock caps (Unless you go straight to GTRs). We snapped 3 stocks waiting for the traxxas xo-1 cvds. You'll also want an aluminum motor mount. Beyond that you can probably replace as you go but be ready for at least a few more upgrades.