RC Racer

need advice making crawler course

Anyone made an outdoor crawler course?? I am curious how to plan a course versus just ending up with a pile of rocks. I want to build one in my yard and I would like it to be reasonably challenging and include the types of obstacles and challenges that are seen on competition courses.

If anyone has some insight to how best to draw or plan a course, I would appreciate the advice. Right now my plan is to have a truckload of rocks dumped in my backyard and just start moving them around. I'd like some water/mud challenges on the course, and bridges of various types, so I am thinking a paper drawing of the complete course is going to be important at some point....shooting from the hip probably isnt going to do it.

I am going to scour the search engines to see if this has been written about elsewhere, but I know there is a lot of talent in this forum so I am hoping for some good thoughts from you all!

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

PS. - for context, my goal is to have a course that is a good practice ground for competition, so I'd like to make sure to include formalities like rope limits, cone marked gates, etc. I have access to a front end loader/backhoe, so this can be fairly substantial if need be. It would be great if the course could be incorporated into a nice rock garden landscape.

RC Racer
    I have already found some good stuff to review online, but I would still like to hear your thoughts, good, bad, and ugly.

Here is some stuff that I have done...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...awling-Courses
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Here is the course that my buddy threw together in the last 2 months. A backhoe was used for most of the rocks.
    shooting from the hip when he made it.
    https://youtu.be/pEKvhc_qbZs
    Last edited by rag6; 04-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Mine is still a work in progress. I have used rocks of various types, cement, landscape timbers and my old dirt bike tires. I have been building mine in a series of hills, valleys and channels instead of straight sections. It doesn't look organized but I try to incorporate vertical climbs, off cambers, straddle sections, stair steps and other methods to stress the vehicles articulation and traction. I'm fixing to add another section and I am going to use a pile of crusher finds as a base. You wet this stuff down and you can shape and carve it to make some really nice rock formations. Finally, I designed mine so it would be under the shade all the time plus when I sit in my high rise chair I can use my long hook pole to flip the vehicles back over. Either way you do it it's a blast having your own playground. Good Luck!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak0uErVM5UU

RC Competitor
    I'm actually working on my course right now , a little stick bridge , a string bridge , a teeter totter , rock wall and log wall are in my plans I have everything to do it all , the snow is finnally gone !!!! So here we go !!!! Can't wait to get finished , I'm being told it has to be presentable ? By my significant other , she got a axial wraith for Christmas for my well planned insentive .

RC Racer
    The water features have my mind going right now....they need to be planned out given their relative complexity. I have a good and appropriate slope in my yard that can accommodate an upper basin and a lower basin, so I should be able to have running and standing water features. I'd like a deep-water fording challenge (only with extra waterproofing), mud challenge, a running stream to criss-cross over. I like the idea of trying to incorporate plants and landscaping and walking path as my better half wont hate me as much when it is all said and done.

I need a decent pump(s) to move a good amount of water from lower basin to upper basing, probably over a rise of 6 feet or so. Of course, rope bridges, log bridges, giant boulders, rock fields....I'd like to incorporate as many types of obstacles as I can. I need to start a drawing.....

RC Competitor
    That spray insulation makes some good rock crawling stuff , I might put in a pile of that

Quote Originally Posted by relic01 View Post
    That spray insulation makes some good rock crawling stuff , I might put in a pile of that
    Don't recommend it. I have made my own "rocks" using spray foam, and it is really a bigger pain that what it is worth. The foam itself is expensive, so to off set the cost I used hard packing foam and 2L soda bottles to fill in, then sprayed the foam in on top and cut it. It works a looks good for a little while, but after the sun, rain, and UV work on it, it starts to break down and become a mess. I have also tried using burlap soaked in concrete over the top, and had close to the same results.

With that, if you find a better method of using it, please post up a thread on it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    I ABSUGULOOOOLY Agee , it's messy after a weather beating I just took a shovle and threw it in the trash , then telized it sitting in the dump for 50 years , I think I'll reconsider my consideration on this matter ��its this darn space limitations that I have I'm forced to stay small , but articulate about it , it's become a really cool surgery like deal , found a pile of lava rocks that the road crew left behind I'm administering those ( lol ) wish I could put pictures on here , but have no idea how , puputer illitetate !! ??
    Last edited by relic01; 04-05-2019 at 09:15 PM.

RC Racer
    Love to see pics as you build the water features, I've wanted to do that also but my terrain is flat. FYI, you can get a variety of pumps at Harbor Freight pretty darn cheap.

RC Racer
    Thanks Frank....I go to Harbor Freight often, but never thought about them for pumps....great idea!