RC poster

Dynamite. 21 mach 2 pipe for rustler

I am building a rusler from a roller a freind had and would like to put a dynomite .21 in it and was wondering what pipe would fit all the pipes I seem to find have a head pipe that wont work with the rustler and im asuming the dynomite doesnt accept the traxxas 2.5 header. Any one know what fits?

Nothing is going to fit well... he'd be better off just going with a 3.3 as a 21 big block is going to be quite a bit longer of a crank case/crankshaft to even fit, then with the header/pipe, it's really going to stick out. It's also wider. I never had a rustler, so I don't know what will fit. I know when my jato was nitro, there was very little wiggle room beside the engine to fit anything other than a typical small block in it. It was almost touching the trans case on the back side battery/receiver box on the front.

But, there are on-road pipes that are meant to fit on a car with the engine in the same orientation. Some of these:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/tuned-p.../c32?s=on-road
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    I have a 3.3 on my jato and was looking for something diffrent that is why I picked the dynomite. 21 I figured the dynomite . 19 would disapoint me on power since im used to the power of the 3.3 and would like to try a diffrent brand of engine. Also I dont really want to spend the money on an OS. So that is why I picked the dynomite. So basically your saying its going to be a headace? And what about the dynomite. 19 says its direct replacement for traxxas vehicals anyone that can comment on the power as compared to the traxxas 3.3?

From what I read when the dynamite .19 came out, it's an ok alternative, but not all that different in power.

While the .21 isn't much larger in displacement of the 3.3 (.21 vs .20), the footprint is quite a bit larger.

This is a small block vs a big block (os 18 cv-r vs omega .21):

I should dig out one of my old 3.3's to put next to an old 21/28 and take better photo's... lol!

RC poster
    So basically go with the 3.3 haha. How is the os .21 compared to the 3.3 with power maybe im better off saving my money for the OS? If i want something diffrent than the 3.3? But in that case i should probably put the OS on my jato and put the 3.3 on the rustler lol

The 21TM is a great little engine. Not stump pulling power, but enough that I enjoy it a lot more in my revo. My other revo has a actual big block lrp28 in it. It's a little crazy. I usually drive the 21TM revo when I want to run nitro. It's just so reliable. Just enough power to be a ton of fun in grass or at the skate park. But not so much that I'm shearing axles off constantly.

I recently found a grass bmx track... hoping to hit that place Saturday if it warms up early enough. I have things going on in the afternoon, so not sure I'll make it as it's a 40 minute drive. So far, have only run my electrics there. Found it on google maps when I was searching for bash sites while on vacation at Christmas. Didn't look like much from the air... but it's big and public... and hardly used since it was apparently built in 2007.

For both engines though, I did have to install RRP steel gears in the transmissions. Even the 21TM tore up the plastic stuff. After cracking it open the 3rd time to replace chewed up gears, I ordered RRP and the 4th time was the last.

RC poster
    So im asuming the .21 is quite a bit more juging that the 3.3 didnt strip the gears but the .21 did is that correct?

It does put out more torque, that's for sure. The issues with it though were the pins in the plastic gears shearing off because the plastic wasn't strong enough. The teeth of the gears held up 2 out of the 3 times. It was the pin folding over where it was threaded into the plastic gears.

RC poster
    As i understand the os.21 would bolt right up to the jatos engine mount just would need a new pipe correct?

Yes. You will also need to source a proper header as the header that comes with it is for the revo and won't line up right. It has a standard 1/10th exhaust port, which the trx engines don't. When I ran the 18TM on my jato (same port/header as the 21TM), I used an associated onroad header and gasket with the resonator pipe. I think I had to bend it a little bit so it would clear the pull starter, but otherwise it worked fine. I used the same one with the 2.5R I had in there as I broke the stock header. It didn't fit the 2.5R exhaust port as well, but worked ok.

RC poster
    Well than its settled im taking the 3.3 off the jato puting that on the rustler and buying a OS for the jato. Hopefully ill notice the extra power for the money haha thanks for the help!

The 21TM took time to break in and settle down. I didn't get a stable tune out of it until I had a gallon or so through it. Now it's very stable and holds a tune all day long.

Last time I ran it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXD4TuG1VI