RC Enthusiast

Stampede vxl motor options?

I'm pretty sure I've fried my vxl 3500kv motor. Any ideas on replacements without having to change my esc as well. Also it's only a couple months old so id like to get something that will last longer

I would say this is a good option: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=26945779272

I'm running the hobbystar 3660/3300kv off the vxl-3s in my converted eJato and it seems to do ok on 3S so far:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/br...aterproof.html

I fried my 3500 in that as well. It came out of my stampede 4x4 which I bought used and it was sorely abused. So odds are, it was run hot/hard before I ever got it.

I was running a castle 3800kv, but it ran pretty warm when I started running 3S, which is why I tried out the 3300kv motor instead.

The motor @zedorda linked I'm running in my stampede with the HW Max10 sct esc. Have only run it with the HW setup a couple times and not in warm weather, so the jury is still out on it.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys I'm going to look into both options and see where that takes me. One thing I know I need to hurry and get it up and going again haha

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys I'm going to look into both options and see where that takes me. One thing I know I need to hurry and get it up and going again haha

RC Enthusiast
    @olds97_lss so I did the research and ordered the hobbywing 3660 3300kv I have both 2s and 3s batteries and I also have a dual fan heatsink so hopefully this motor lasts more than a month

RC Enthusiast
    Oops correction hobbystar

I don't have much wheel time on mine yet, so can't really vouch for it. I just know the 3800kv it replaced ran pretty hot last fall when I started running 3S. So hoping this one can cope a bit better. I did still keep the castle fan on it. I figure the longer motor and lower kv I'll get more usable torque, so can gear it better. Just hope the vxl-3s can push it.

I ran it for about 45 minutes last weekend, but it was cool out, 40F. Then I snapped a rear cvd axle on my eJato half way through my second pack. I run 7200mah 3S packs. I get about 30 minutes of fairly constant run time in my stampede with the HW system, so should expect similar or better in the eJato.

RC Enthusiast
    @olds97_lss by chance what tooth pinion are you using with that hobbystar 3660 setup?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running 11/54 at the moment and would like to make sure I gear for cooler temps because I do run my truck hard and do a lot of starting and stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by dubyab14 View Post
    I'm running 11/54 at the moment and would like to make sure I gear for cooler temps because I do run my truck hard and do a lot of starting and stopping.
    It's in my ejato. So the comparison has really no bearing on what you have yours in. It has the hot racing steel single speed conversion and 58/18 mod8 spur/pinion on it with 2.8" trenchers, the vxl-3s running it and 7200mah 3S SMC pack powering things. It's a mess of a truck, but I love running it.

The jato:

This is the latest with my stampede 4x4:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...x4-vxl-updates

My stampede is a 4x4, not sure what yours is. I'm running 13/54 in that with the HW setup on 3S so far with trencher 2.8's and MIP X-Duty cvd's. Will see how that goes as it's fairly new and have only run it when it was <50F outside so far. Hoping it runs ok and I can gear up to a 14T... then again, it's real handful as it is. LOL

RC Enthusiast
    Ohh I see. I was just trying to make sure I don't go the wrong direction with the gearing and create more heat. Wasnt sure if I should drop teeth on the pinion/spur or add teeth haha

RC Enthusiast
    My stampede is 4x4 as well, at the moment I am in Hawaii working g and I live in Houston Texas so ambient temps are always above 80f so I can see me wasting motors daily

Longer can, lower kv, should be fine on what you have and possibly be able to add to the pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the advice.