RC Competitor

Question Is this a good castle setup for rustler 4x4?

So Iím back again with another question. I currently have a Kinexsis 3000kv brushless system in my rustler 4x4, itís a 550 can sized motor. It has plenty of torque and speed. Itís a good system for 70 bucks. But I want more. And I want to give castle a try. As the title says, would this link be a good system for rustler 4x4?

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0164-07

Any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    it can be run on a 2s LiPo but will be very slow. It is a cooling running torque animal for lighter 1/10th scale 2WD stadium trucks and buggies running on a 3s LiPo. This is directly copied. Strictly 3s runs. Rustler 4x4 vxl is a rather heavy vechicle, so I think the 2400 kv is a great option. It will work well, just gear it up. I think it was tmbold or someone else on this forum who hit 100+ mph with that motor geared up.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I wasn’t entirely sure about this system and I’ve read quite a few threads with others saying a 2400kv castle motor is good for the extra weight the rustler 4x4 has. I think mine is roughly 5.8 lbs with a 3s 4000mah lipo. So it’s a fatty for a stadium truck lol. So Luke, this castle system would be okay? I don’t have any previous castle experience and do t want to buy a brushless system that isn’t what I’m looking for. Thanks for the help!

A 5.12lbs (2.32 kg) Rustler 4x4 is rather heavy? Compared to what?

Slash 4x4 Platinum & Ultimate: 80.4oz (2.28kg/5.025lb)
    Stampede 4x4 VXL: 89.64 oz (2.54kg/5.6025lb)
    Slash 4x4 VXL: 93.1oz (2.64kg/5.819lb)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Yeah I wasn’t entirely sure about this system and I’ve read quite a few threads with others saying a 2400kv castle motor is good for the extra weight the rustler 4x4 has. I think mine is roughly 5.8 lbs with a 3s 4000mah lipo. So it’s a fatty for a stadium truck lol. So Luke, this castle system would be okay? I don’t have any previous castle experience and do t want to buy a brushless system that isn’t what I’m looking for. Thanks for the help!

The limitation of the Sidewinder 4/2400kv combo is the ESC; you'll get the same motor with the Mamba X but more adjustability with the ESC. The 2400 is a very good motor for the weight and drivetrain resistance of a 4wd. Give Castle a call and verify if they recommend the Sidewinder with the Rustler 4x4 and while you are at it find out why a majority of their products are out of stock/backorder/not available.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Double G is talking about this combo:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0160-01
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Okay sorry for calling the rustler 4x4 heavy. I was going off of how much my 4x4 monster truck weighs, it’s about a pound less than the rustler 4x4 with a 3s 4000mah battery. I ask these questions because the last time I had an rc car was when the gold pan rc10ts were new, and they were awesome. I also had an old tamiya hornet. I’m new to the brushless systems, I didn’t even know about them until 2 years ago >.< So I guess you could say I’m new to the hobby again lol I appreciate all you guys in setting me straight. Thank you

there are other things that become problematic once you go to a 2400 motor though...no matter the esc. You're going to start twisting driveshafts from the torque...there's almost no way to get around that unless you run a 1405 sized motor on 2S.

even the velineons twist them on 3S eventually. My advise is to get yourself the tekno driveshaft kits or the mip x-duty cvds. that'll allow you to run motors that are a lot more torquey without hurting the drive train.

My first 2 upgrades on any slash or shash based platform is the mip cvds and the 17mm wheel adapters.

then you might wanna look into a gen 1 e-revo slipper setup with aluminum pads. throttle heavy drivers seem to burn the carbon ones like matches. I did.

After that...perhaps a good 4s battery to go with it. then you're gonna be looking at a beast of a truck.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    there are other things that become problematic once you go to a 2400 motor though...no matter the esc. You're going to start twisting driveshafts from the torque...there's almost no way to get around that unless you run a 1405 sized motor on 2S.

even the velineons twist them on 3S eventually. My advise is to get yourself the tekno driveshaft kits or the mip x-duty cvds. that'll allow you to run motors that are a lot more torquey without hurting the drive train.

My first 2 upgrades on any slash or shash based platform is the mip cvds and the 17mm wheel adapters.

then you might wanna look into a gen 1 e-revo slipper setup with aluminum pads. throttle heavy drivers seem to burn the carbon ones like matches. I did.

After that...perhaps a good 4s battery to go with it. then you're gonna be looking at a beast of a truck.
    Good idea about those driveshafts. It is essential to have a failsafe cheap/weakish spot. That way if too much power goes through, a cheap and easy to service part is broken, instead of your diffs. My failsafe is a plastic spur gear. I have aliminum wheel hexes, tekno m6's and metal diffs, but a plastic spur gear.

I put the castle 1415 2400kv with the mamba x, it is a beast. You will need to run 3s 5000mah + with this set up. I prefer 4s.