RC poster

1/16 E-Revo To 1/10 Buggy Conversion

Hello Everyone,
    I dont usually post on here but I do frequent the forum for all the great archived knowledge threads.
    I am making this post in case someone wants to do the same crazy thing I have done. In our newer online world people are less and less using forums and instead using social media to display there projects, while that is great it causes one large problem. Social media sites dont archive there posts as easily as forums do. I hope by dropping my knowledge into this thread someone in the future may find this helpful.

On to the actual project.

My goal is to create a race ready 1/10 2wd buggy from a traxxas 1/16 e-revo platform. I already own a 1/16 revo and enjoy it. As I looked into racing I saw that my local RC group races larger platforms. Wanting to race but not owning a 1/10 buggy I decided to go this route of conversion. Heavily inspired by "Jang" and the Ultimate RC forums and his projects, specifically his ultimate rustler thread I thought hey, I might as well try this.

So I began debating on the best way to go about this.
    Here is the first thread that I found that helped inspire me on this project.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ion-of-a-Slash

So here is where I am sitting, I knew in order to go full 1/10 I needed to lengthen the chassis, everything online showed people lengthening it on the backend, while this is the simplest easiest spot on the chassis to lengthen it causes the weight distribution to move to far forward. I wanted to keep the weight in the back to keep traction, especially where i was making only a 2WD.

Here are my current progress pics. Keep in mind this is a prototype, as this comes together, If I find something is working well I will try and build a better version of it.

Motor Mount to lower COG, the issue here is that the motor mount is a long version, I have seen online that there is a shorter version of the same aluminum part, I ordered the shorter one SO I can actually get the motor lower then what it will be in this version.

Hope someone finds this interesting, SO you can see here I am a ways away from being done, but I have made some progress. I believe I will end up with a two piece chassis, the large bottom piece and a top piece that connects the front to rear. I am using a plastic cutting board as my prototype.

Did you consider making it a front 2WD?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithscales View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I dont usually post on here but I do frequent the forum for all the great archived knowledge threads.
    I am making this post in case someone wants to do the same crazy thing I have done. In our newer online world people are less and less using forums and instead using social media to display there projects, while that is great it causes one large problem. Social media sites dont archive there posts as easily as forums do. I hope by dropping my knowledge into this thread someone in the future may find this helpful.

On to the actual project.

My goal is to create a race ready 1/10 2wd buggy from a traxxas 1/16 e-revo platform. I already own a 1/16 revo and enjoy it. As I looked into racing I saw that my local RC group races larger platforms. Wanting to race but not owning a 1/10 buggy I decided to go this route of conversion. Heavily inspired by "Jang" and the Ultimate RC forums and his projects, specifically his ultimate rustler thread I thought hey, I might as well try this.

So I began debating on the best way to go about this.
    Here is the first thread that I found that helped inspire me on this project.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ion-of-a-Slash

So here is where I am sitting, I knew in order to go full 1/10 I needed to lengthen the chassis, everything online showed people lengthening it on the backend, while this is the simplest easiest spot on the chassis to lengthen it causes the weight distribution to move to far forward. I wanted to keep the weight in the back to keep traction, especially where i was making only a 2WD.

Here are my current progress pics. Keep in mind this is a prototype, as this comes together, If I find something is working well I will try and build a better version of it.

Motor Mount to lower COG, the issue here is that the motor mount is a long version, I have seen online that there is a shorter version of the same aluminum part, I ordered the shorter one SO I can actually get the motor lower then what it will be in this version.

Hope someone finds this interesting, SO you can see here I am a ways away from being done, but I have made some progress. I believe I will end up with a two piece chassis, the large bottom piece and a top piece that connects the front to rear. I am using a plastic cutting board as my prototype.
    Lose the chassis and make your own I di

RC poster
    I would show you pics of mine but not sure how to get pics on here

RC poster
    Quick update.
    I have gone from using a 1/8th inch cutting board to a 1/4 inch one. A bit heavy but I will trim it down later once all together. I saw this green cutting board and said I need to try it. SO with the first version there was alot of play in the chassis, very bendable, I have now gone to this polypropolyne one. As well I have finally added the front and rear bulkheads. I am using parts from the old 1/16 gravedigger revo traxxas released years ago.

Still need to figure out steering, as well as waiting for different motor mount to lower motor even more. Then I need a power system for this. And of course a buggy body. Im a little irritated that RC parts are still not as easily available up here in canada, oh well.

RC poster
    So the new chassis is much more rigid then the previous one. I hope that i only will need the bottom plate, stuff seems very rugged, but not sure. If it doesnt hold up for some reason I can always make a new one out of carbon fiber.

Are these cars brushless ready, I always assumed so. What is the safest brushless setup the drivetrain can handle, I will be using 2s lipos as that is a requirment at the track I hope to race at.

RC poster
    I havent posted in a while but I figured I should finish my thread on this before I start my next project.

And the finished project

I brought this rig to the last race day a couple weeks ago. Honestly Even though I was competing against mostly Losi 22 buggys that I didnt stand a chance against as well as my personal novice skill of driving on a track I was not disappointed. It did not fall apart and I was able to finish my races. There was a couple issues, first I think if I had proper buggy tires and wheels and a brushless system it would do alot better. Even with my lowered centre of gravity there where a few traction rolls. I ran it with a brushed hobbywing esc and the stock 12 turn motor the monster truck came with.

This was a pretty cool project and I hope by putting it in this thread others can find it and take inspiration from it. I may try racing it again as my skill level increases.