RC Competitor

New Traxxas X-Maxx LED Lighting Kit

http://blog.rcmart.com/rc-traxxas-ne...ing-soon-7885/

Who's going to buy this kit? I was waiting for something like this to come on the market

I asked the Technical Team as Traxxas about mounting options if you already have the telemetry installed but they couldn't give me an answer.

I also wonder what happnes to the taillight wiring when you have a hard landing and the shell comes off, is there a smecial connection that releases under tension?
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

RC Qualifier
    I removed my expander as I didn't see the point in having it - the vehicle has all the main sensors anyways.
    Would be interested to know what you use the expander for in case I've missed something useful!!

Lighting kit looks pretty sweet though - will see how much it costs before I decide whether to buy it! Although I would prefer for all lights to be on the main body, for times when the body pops off, and so I don't have to fumble about with cables when attaching and removing the body...Ö

Some of the light kits extra features:

* Comes with high-output front bumper LED light bar, rear multi-function LED light bar, mounts & wire connections, and stiffly regulated 8-channel high power amplifier
    * Designed for an easy install
    * App controlled lighting functions
    * Functional brake lights that work in forward or reverse
    * Three default light modes
    * Waterproof design
    * Low and high beam
    * Expandable design
    * Update-able firmware
    * Can turn off lights remotely
    * Easy to customize

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    I removed my expander as I didn't see the point in having it - the vehicle has all the main sensors anyways.
    Would be interested to know what you use the expander for in case I've missed something useful!!

Lighting kit looks pretty sweet though - will see how much it costs before I decide whether to buy it! Although I would prefer for all lights to be on the main body, for times when the body pops off, and so I don't have to fumble about with cables when attaching and removing the body...Ö

Some of the light kits extra features:

* Comes with high-output front bumper LED light bar, rear multi-function LED light bar, mounts & wire connections, and stiffly regulated 8-channel high power amplifier
    * Designed for an easy install
    * App controlled lighting functions
    * Functional brake lights that work in forward or reverse
    * Three default light modes
    * Waterproof design
    * Low and high beam
    * Expandable design
    * Update-able firmware
    * Can turn off lights remotely
    * Easy to customize
    I use my telemetry expander for accurate gps speed reading and ambient temperature. It'll be interesting to see what they come out with.
    I'll definitely be buying one.

I think it's cool, but at 160 bucks...that's kind of steep for lighting. I know it does all kinds of fancy shmancy stuff, but 160 bucks is still a lot of money for something like that.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Champion
    ya
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I think it's cool, but at 160 bucks...that's kind of steep for lighting. I know it does all kinds of fancy shmancy stuff, but 160 bucks is still a lot of money for something like that.
    X2. It’s cool kit but over priced and probably tied overly to Traxxas esc.

Front light bar mounts to proper place inset in front bumper but rear should mount similar. Rear mount to back of cab likely to get smashed and wires attached to body always pita.

RC Racer

Traxxas Chat Support...

This light kit looks great but I agree...if it's $160, then I'm not sure I want to spend that much money. So I opened a chat session with Traxxas just now and chat support said it's "not officially released" yet for the X-Maxx and it "may or may not be released."

The module shows it's $55 so then the additional equipment (lights) are over $100!?

See screenshot below...

RC Qualifier
    That's WAY over priced - would rather spend that on other upgrades!!!!!!!

I'll pass!

Quote Originally Posted by morch_66479 View Post
    True, and with it being Traxxas electronics it's a worry. Going off the history of ESC thermal incidents
    Traxxas electronics is actually pretty solid. The only reason (IMO) why Traxxas electronics can seem iffy, is because they will put/use them in the wrong applications. Lets look at the Xmaxx original ESC for an example. It should of been the now VLX8s, but marked as a VXL6s. The 1600kv motor should of been the now 1400kv motor, and everything should of been advertised as 6s RTR. When I got my Xmaxx (when the Xmaxx first came out) I put in a 1400kv motor with a 8s ESC, and ran it geared up at 6s with no problems.

I then took my Xmaxx's original 1600kv motor and VLX6s ESC and used it in another smaller vehicle, and it too has performed flawlessly ever since. So, like I say, (IMO) Traxxas makes good stuff, but they should just match their electronics up better with the vehicles they put them into. If they (and other companies too) did that, we (us guys) would have a lot less trouble with RTR RC land and water vehicles...for some reason air RC's don't seem to have this problem.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-05-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    This light kit looks great but I agree...if it's $160, then I'm not sure I want to spend that much money. So I opened a chat session with Traxxas just now and chat support said it's "not officially released" yet for the X-Maxx and it "may or may not be released."

The module shows it's $55 so then the additional equipment (lights) are over $100!?
    I looked in "Parts and Accessories" and they show both the full kits for the UDR and Xmaxx for $160 dollars. In "Amazon" they show the UDR lighting kit for $130 dollars.

RC Racer

Free Light Kit With UDR Purchase...

Just got an email from Traxxas for a free light kit ($160 value) with a purchase of a new UDR...

FREE LIGHT KIT WITH PURCHASE!
    PART #8485 LED LIGHT KIT
    Use coupon code LIGHTS at checkout. Expires 4/15/19
    MODEL #85076-4
    $699.99

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...d-desert-racer

RC Qualifier
    I like Traxxas stuff but $160 does seem a bit high. I could almost buy another 4-Tec 2.0 for that.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC poster
    This light kit seems to be tied to the Traxxas ESC. It doesnít look like it can be used with an aftermarket one.

That's the impression I got too, but it would be interesting to see if you have 6s voltage on the VXL6s utility port, if you have 6s/8s voltage on the VXL8s utility port, or if both have a BEC output voltage along with signal voltage. The reason? Because, there would be a chance that you could connect both your motor and your light module to the #2 channel of a Traxxas receiver.

You figure, there has to be a signal coming from the Traxxas VXL6s/VXL8s utility port for that light module to know when you are breaking. And, it has to be getting a V+ voltage from that port too. The question (for me) is; is that V+ voltage 6vdc, 6s, or 8s. It would be interesting to find out.

RC Enthusiast
    My set up. Waiting on the lights

2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Qualifier
    I assume you can use the 'Lights' button on the Link App dashboard to switch lights on or off remotely?

RC poster
    Hello everyone, i have bought xmaxx 8s today, im looking for someone to race this crazy trucks, just for fun who is passionate about that, lemme know i leave in Nanuet, New York. thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Yes works perfect
    I assume you can use the 'Lights' button on the Link App dashboard to switch lights on or off remotely?
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Enthusiast
    Yes. Just ordered mine. Be here frida.
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Racer

Still Shows Coming Soon...

Traxxas website shows them coming soon for $110 but eBay is selling them for $99! Hmm....I may pull the trigger on this for $100 and I noticed the Traxxas App has a button to turn the lights on/off!

Official Traxxas Link...
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/x-maxx-light-kit

RC Qualifier
    Kinda want this, but dont use Traxxas electrics so dont have the app :/

Edit: Plugs into the Stock ESC, I have a Max 6
    Last edited by Kpowell911; 05-26-2019 at 04:30 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by IamRevoMaster View Post
    Yes. Just ordered mine. Be here frida.
    How did you go with this install?

RC Competitor
    Where does one install the Power Amplifier on the X-Maxx if there's a Telemetry expander already installed?

RC Enthusiast
    Where does one install the Power Amplifier on the X-Maxx if there's a Telemetry expander already installed?
    I have the expander and gps module already installed. My light kit comes Friday. I will mount the power amplifier somewhere on the chassis. 3M double sided tape or drill a few holes and add SS screws to holder down.

Kit was $99 on Amazon

They could just release a kit with front white and rear red lights with no electronics, just "always on" lights for a cheaper price.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    They could just release a kit with front white and rear red lights with no electronics, just "always on" lights for a cheaper price.
    Wishful thinking thats all i want.

RC Enthusiast
    How did you go with this install?
    Perfect my dude. https://youtu.be/1lINyzaqSVE
    Last edited by IamRevoMaster; 06-01-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Enthusiast

If you have an 8s ver you really don’t need the expander as the telemetry is via software upgrade. I hope this helpd
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Enthusiast
    If you have an 8s ver you really donít need the expander as the telemetry is via software upgrade. I hope this helpd

Traxxas esc is using motor rpm to calculate the speed being displayed thru the bluetooth. Another words itís not accurate, but the telemetry expander with gps module installed is.

Also if you have removed the traxxas esc for an xlx, or max5 or 6 and still want telemetry the expander is a must have.

I received my Xmaxx light kit on Friday, just havenít had time to install yet.

Everything in the kit looks top notch thou and worth the $100 price tag imo. Clean shrink wrap, solid connection ends, and mesh wire wrap on the main leads.

Relocating either the telemetry expander or the power amplifier for the lights shouldnít be an issue.

Biggest problem I see with this system is the rear led is mounted to the body, while the power amplifier is mounted to the chassis. If your body comes off say goodbye to the rear led.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmatti View Post
    Traxxas esc is using motor rpm to calculate the speed being displayed thru the bluetooth. Another words it’s not accurate, but the telemetry expander with gps module installed is.

Also if you have removed the traxxas esc for an xlx, or max5 or 6 and still want telemetry the expander is a must have.

I received my Xmaxx light kit on Friday, just haven’t had time to install yet.

Everything in the kit looks top notch thou and worth the $100 price tag imo. Clean shrink wrap, solid connection ends, and mesh wire wrap on the main leads.

Relocating either the telemetry expander or the power amplifier for the lights shouldn’t be an issue.

Biggest problem I see with this system is the rear led is mounted to the body, while the power amplifier is mounted to the chassis. If your body comes off say goodbye to the rear led.
    I thought the harness was designed to split away the connection without damage in the case of the body coming off? Have you tested in the field yet?

RC Competitor
    If you have an 8s ver you really don’t need the expander as the telemetry is via software upgrade. I hope this helpd
    I use the GPS, i like have all the tech on board so i'll continue to use the telemetry and try relocate the amplifier.

RC poster
    Iíve had the light kit on for about a month or so now, super bright at night, working brake lights in both forward and reverse with super bright reverse lights, takes a beating very well and does have a special break away connection in the body Incase it gets separated in a crash, itís also very waterproof! and the fit and finish on the truck is absolutely perfect!