RC poster

Today I rebuilt my VXl Brushless with two 5116 bearings.

Did you know the VXL motor has two Traxxas 5116 bearings in it.

Itís relatively easy to rebuild the motor. Iíve also learned you should be in there regularly cleaning it out. It runs beautifully now.

I think the bearings are included in the rebuild kit.

RC Racer
    You should have done a How To with some pics so us novice types wouldn't be afraid to open it up...
    Oh well, maybe next time?
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

[QUOTE=Scott91370;6493651]You should have done a How To with some pics so us novice types wouldn't be afraid to open it up...
    Oh well, maybe next time?[/QUOTE

Absolutely agree. Photos would help the noob and everyone ready.
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not sure my vxl motor can be rebuilt so easy, it's pretty difficult to turn by hand but does still free spin. I has gotten pretty hot though. I assume the bearings are.good and windings are rubbing the stator with a little much pressure

RC Enthusiast
    Also...once your pretty sure you have burned up the motor what's the harm in disassembling it to see what you destroyed/could possibly fix?

RC poster
    Ummmm FYI you’re NOT supposed to use 5116’s in the motor rebuild. They’ll fail under the extreme stresses of a brushless motor heat and rpm. I’m no expert but it’s mentioned in like every YouTube rebuild video.

Quote Originally Posted by Droptanks View Post
    Ummmm FYI you’re NOT supposed to use 5116’s in the motor rebuild. They’ll fail under the extreme stresses of a brushless motor heat and rpm. I’m no expert but it’s mentioned in like every YouTube rebuild video.
    I agree. I wouldn't use rubber-sealed bearings in the motor. The 5116 work well in other areas that spin less. You could get the Velineon rebuild kit that comes with new bearings, bushing, end cap and screws.

But who knows, maybe the 5116 are just the rubber-sealed versions of the motor bearings found in the rebuild kit...
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Droptanks View Post
    I have to disagree with you. I get the cheapest bearings that I can find for my trucks. The 5X11X4 serve as wheel and motor bearings. I have a mod for keeping motor bearings clean. I chang them every so often just to keep them fresh
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    is there just screws to open the back of a vXL motor ? i would like to find a brushed one that could be serviced that easily just for fun.

i just opened a 550 yesterday but there was metal pressing to keep it closed together....i was doing it to see what was wrong...i cleaned the collector but it would need new brushes to work good again...it was just for fun because parts would probably cost as much as a new motor....and to add to that, the overheat may already decrease the magnet force and even if i repair it, it may never be comparable to a new one....

Do you know if there is brushed motors availaible for someone that would like to wire one by itself ? I was planning to mod a titan but the plastic fan is formed into the rotor covering the collector connections....

The 12T Titan is considered not rebuildable. They do sell brushed serviceable motors. Holmes Hobbies has lots.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/brushed-motors.html