RC Enthusiast

Results from stampede motor swap

So I burned up my vxl 3500kv in my stamped and installed the hobbystar 3660 3300kv motor. I'm impressed with how cool it stays after long heavy throttle 2s runs but it doesn't have the torque or wheelie ability of the stock motor. Maybe I should add a couple teeth on the pinion gear but don't want to cause heat issues. I'm using integy heat sink with dual fans. I melted down one motor quickly trying to make this one last

The lack of the same power is mostly because the stock ESC doesn't deliver the punch that the 3660 can handle. If you add teeth I bet the ESC gets hotter first.

RC Enthusiast
    I see your point there with the esc getting hot but as far as no punch I'm not sure I understand. The stock esc is a 200amp with Max of 320 amp and the hobbywing recommended esc was 150am tiny little thing

The specs on Traxxas ESCs are alittle exaggerated. In my experience I would compare the VXL-3 to most 80-120amp ESCs but also don't exactly deliver much on launch.

RC Qualifier
    What is your gearing right now with the new 3300 KV?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    11/54 stock vxl gearing

RC Enthusiast
    I know with the stock motor and esc on 2s it would wheelie and flip on it's roof on launch and now it won't lift the front tires off the ground in the slightest

I would try the 15t speed pinion and see what happens.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock esc is nowhere near a 200amp esc. Escís that run 1/5 scale trucks are in that range. Any chance youíre in training mode?

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast
    It isn't in training mode. It runs fast, almost to fast to control on 3s at 3/4 throttle but nothing I do will make it wheelie. Motor wraps out quick, also having trouble getting it to flip off the ramp I built. Plenty of power just not on low end

RC Enthusiast
    @gripdog7205
    Maybe the amp ratings aren't that high on the vxl 3s but that's what traxxas claims they are. I'm kind of a newbie to electric rc so I can only go by what I read on the product websites. I need little more exp. Before I know what's bs and what's fact lol

RC Enthusiast
    I do know when I burned up the stock motor I was running in high grass and it stopped and made a high pitched noise so I could have damaged the slipper clutch as well but it all looks to be inyact

RC Enthusiast
    Oops I meant intact

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubyab14 View Post
    It isn't in training mode. It runs fast, almost to fast to control on 3s at 3/4 throttle but nothing I do will make it wheelie. Motor wraps out quick, also having trouble getting it to flip off the ramp I built. Plenty of power just not on low end
    Is the clutch slipping?

RC Enthusiast
    I was kinda thinking that since I was running in high grass when I got the burned smell and the original motor started going out

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was kinda thinking that since I was running in high grass when I got the burned smell and the original motor started going out
    The high pitch squeal is a dead giveaway.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks I'll remember that. Like I said I'm a newbie. So then that clutch is adjustable if I haven't destroyed it. I may have to look into a new one or new pads possibly

RC Enthusiast
    Well I pulled the cover off and tightened the clutch and we have lift off once again. I wasn't hearing much squeal after the motor swap but I guess just enough to not go full power to the wheels

Nice it was an easy fix, grats.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks, yep easy fix this time but lord knows my driving will cause more issues guaranteed.

Ha ha! Hopefully not soon so you can bash peacefully...
    I like free stuff!

I'm running that same motor now in my converted ejato with the vxl-3s esc on 3S. I haven't had a chance to run it much yet. It replaced a castle 3800kv, which was pretty "soft" in the torque department. My traxxas 3500 burned up shortly after I started running 3S. Wasn't running too hot or anything, just died on me out of the blue. It came out of my stampede 4x4 which I bought used, so I don't know how well it was cared for.

I switched to the 3660/3200kv motor in hopes that it runs a bit cooler than the castle 3800kv did. The 3800 was ok when I was just running 2S, but I recently started running 3S and it wasn't too happy about that.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    So how do you like the hobbystar 3660 3300kv now that you have your clutch fixed?

RC Enthusiast
    i love it. rips as hard if not harder than stock and hasnt let me down yet

RC Enthusiast
    needing a good set of axles though. i seem to destroy even the integy steel upgrades

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    needing a good set of axles though. i seem to destroy even the integy steel upgrades
    I use Tekno M6ís. I love them. Strong and light.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would try the 15t speed pinion and see what happens.
    i'm i right to say 15 teeth would be a lot more than before ?

2s with 3500kv = 25 900rpm x 11/54T = 5276 RPM at the shaft
    2s with 3300kv = 24 420rpm x 11/54T = 4975 and with 15/54 it would be 6783 RPM at the drive shaft ?
    So 1.28x faster and 1.28 more torque request thru the ESC amps than it was with factory motor ?

I'm getting to the point now where I just throw money at it because I want it to work. lol!

I now have the HW max10 sct esc with a HS 3665 3200kv motor. I had the HW 3200kv 3660 SL motor in it, but it ran really hot and caused the esc to shut down (has motor temp sensor wire) 15 minutes into a bash at the skate park... on concrete. So I got the 3665 and went from 13 to 14 on the pinion. It seems to do better now and I think my 3S packs are starting to give up on me. Hard to tell, the hw esc doesn't show an error/overheat light or anything, it just kind of stops.
    Expert rigging at it's best!